Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Feel like CM Punk is somewhat deluded, either that or he is someone who can never be satisfied. A decade ago he was a skinny kid in baggy red shorts with bleached hair, wrestling for very little money for ROH. He didn't exactly scream superstar [even though he had a lot of potential], and the assumption once he was signed was that he would appear on Velocity a lot, feature predominantly on the undercard and get released a few years later.

Fast forward and he is given a 1 Year + title reign, appears in countless main events, gets to wrestle The Rock and then The Undertaker in two huge matches. Sure, he earned a lot of that himself but he was also lucky in a lot of factors, not least the focus on smaller, cleaner guys in the wake of all the high profile scandals. He could easily right now be working a reduced schedule on decent money. If he really does hate wrestling and has saved his money then fair play to him, he will be a rare success story in the industry. But he should maybe appreciate more those that gave him the opportunity and not simply focus on the negatives.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NJPW just announced their WWE network equivalent. It will feature every piece of recorded footage from the past 45 years. Holy shit.

edit: or not? Dave says "There are hundreds of matches historically, including everything of significance from the past three years, and some matches every year dating back to 1972."

I think it's pretty reasonable for Punk to be pissed as he came across if they were as shitty as he claims about his medical issues before they suspended/fired while burying him as a quitter.

Though I also think a lot of it was him putting on a show to get listeners considering Colt is a friend and he knew how big a deal the show was. I doubt he doesn't have at least some appreciation underneath the bitterness if you compare him waiting this long to address the situation to how a guy who clearly was legit pissed (Del Rio) handled their release.

Accepting that WWE is never going to do a War Games match if they WERE going to steal a WCW idea I kind of really want to see them do a King of the Road match...

Battlebowl. Some of the matchups were hokey, but I just love the 2 ring battle royale and the "randomly drawn" tag teams

Heck, they could do a PPV with both Battlebowl and War Games if they ever got around to the 2 ring gimmick. It seems perfect for the network and playing to WCW nostalgia

Accepting that WWE is never going to do a War Games match if they WERE going to steal a WCW idea I kind of really want to see them do a King of the Road match...

Battlebowl. Some of the matchups were hokey, but I just love the 2 ring battle royale and the "randomly drawn" tag teams

Heck, they could do a PPV with both Battlebowl and War Games if they ever got around to the 2 ring gimmick. It seems perfect for the network and playing to WCW nostalgia

It's not like they are going out of their way to make these special events special anyway. You could even throw some NXT guys in there and you don't even need the double ring, just a battle royal at the end.

How could would it be if the randomly drawn team was something like John Cena & Jey Uso vs Goldust & Sami Zayn? There is a lot of potential for this as a one night special on the network.

Looks like Puroresu TV may have finally bitten the dust as the forums have been down for about a week now. I know it's not a bastion of discussion anymore, but I'm a guy who likes reading what others think about matches after I have watched them and that place featured a wealth of divergent reviews, opinions, and discussions about Japanese wrestling throughout the years. Sucks to see all that discussion disappear.

WWE is coming to Loveland CO for a house show on Feb. 1. It's a Sunday afternoon matinee show at 1pm. I'm gonna take my four year old nephew and his folks. They've never been to a wrestling show and aren't really fans, they'll watch a PPV with me and enjoy it but that's about it. Nephew loves watching with me and is a huge Rey fan. When I told him just now that we were gonna go see wrestling, at first he thought I meant on TV tonight and he was all, "Not now." When I explained that we're going live in a few months, he said, " Wait, we're seeing them for real?" His eyes lit up and his mouth dropped in awe. Oh and the advertised stuff is

John Cena vs. Money in the Bank Contract Winner Seth Rollins in a Street Fight

Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt

Intercontinental Championship Match
Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper

Plus many more of your favorite WWE Superstars and Divas

Did anyone outside of Argentina know about Titanes En El Ring before the Youtube era? Just curious if it was circulating much in tape trading circles or if its something Meltzer would have been made aware of and wrote about once or twice in passing. WWF was panned critically for how much of a "cartoon" their product was comparatively compared to most NWA promotions in the 80s. I can imagine if someone showed a tape of this to Verne Gagne in 1983 he would have lost his shit.

Meltzer was definitely aware of Titanes because it was shown for a while in L.A. in the early 80s or late 70s - that is how Titanes expert Kurt Brown knew about it.

And of course while it's not the answer you were looking for, it was indeed very well known in Latin American countries like Peru, Chile or Uruguay. I believe it also had a little bit of fame in some of the small Central American countries. Some of these countries had their own local ripoff version of Titanes.

Since it's been brought up, can someone point me to where I can read more about Titanes? The little bit I have seen on youtube has kind of fascinated me with how bright and colorful everything is.

I did find a really cool video that someone made that's essentially an entrance montage so you get to see a ton of the different characters that they had. And they had some wild ones:

Thank you guys. Already read the WON bio and the articles from the 1wrestlinglegend website, will seek out the podcast later. For everyone else, I would encourage you to watch at least a few minutes of that video I posted. I especially want to hear Matt D's thoughts on it.

That video was all kinds of kitsch. Julius Caesar, complete with Cleopatra (who had a golden throne at ringside), what looked to be Genghis Khan, a mobster family, (could it be....) Satan, a very kayfabe cat gimmick, what looked to be the Grinch but as a gymnast-style babyface, there's just so much to mention I can't get to all of it. And that's based on 10 out of 16 minutes. Looks like it'd be a bit goofy on the whole, but the kitsch factor is certainly strong.

Thanks everybody for all the Titanes info and links. Would still love to know what "traditional" wrestling promoters thought, especially the L.A. promotion that this was opposite on television at the same time, but I also recognize that info like that may be lost to the sands of time or wasn't really shared beyond a private conversation here and there.