Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue of unionization in wrestling might be worth a topic of its own, but there's a piece in The New Republic that discusses a lot of the same issues in UFC.

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/magazi...p-bill-culinary

Of particular note is the following passage:

Some of the fighters were aware of this mistreatment. Four-time middleweight UFC champion Frank "The Legend" Shamrock had the Screen Actors Guild look at his contracts after he was invited by Chuck Norris to appear on "Walker, Texas Ranger." "They said, 'These people are raping you!'" Shamrock recalls.

I can only imagine how they'd react to a WWE contract, particularly the death clause.

Dave said on the LAW last night that it would be a big business story, but not something that a lot of people cared about. He even made the reference to TNA and their "major news" that always ends up disappointing. Of course nobody who wrote about it on the internet reported that part.

It's not a big business story. THQ is a dying company, and has been. A bigger business story would have been THQ going into BK, the license being of use to UFC until it got untangled and a new buyer was found. Instead, they got out before then (or from the THQ side they were able to offload the license).

Even if THQ goes under, I don't see that having much effect on WWE. All that means is they switch video games companies, something they have done at least 2 or 3 times in the past. Someone is going to covet that license because the games always sell. Why the fuck was anyone trying to hype this as "BIG NEWS"? "OH MY GOD I WAS SWORN TO SECRECY AND I CAN'T TELL YOU ABOUT THIS THING YOU REALLY AREN'T GOING TO GIVE A SHIT ABOUT!"

The issue of unionization in wrestling might be worth a topic of its own, but there's a piece in The New Republic that discusses a lot of the same issues in UFC.

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/magazi...p-bill-culinary

Of particular note is the following passage:

Some of the fighters were aware of this mistreatment. Four-time middleweight UFC champion Frank "The Legend" Shamrock had the Screen Actors Guild look at his contracts after he was invited by Chuck Norris to appear on "Walker, Texas Ranger." "They said, 'These people are raping you!'" Shamrock recalls.

I can only imagine how they'd react to a WWE contract, particularly the death clause.

Isn't now the best period to try and unionize ? Sure, there's a monopoly, but there's also a very limited pool of talent, it's not like the WWE can dispose of a vasta array of already-made stars with big name they can buy from other companies or territories. If the 4 or 5 bigger names in WWE, including Cena of course, decide to launch an union, there's no way Vince can do anything about it, because he just has a super limited roster at this point, and a totally depleted pool of young talents he can use (not to mention WWE can't seem to be able to make new stars anymore). Of course it'll never happen, which is a shame, but I think it would actually be easier now than it ever was.

I love how the underlying theme of tonight's Raw has been if you hate John Cena then you're in agreement with the most hated and annoying person in WWE (Cole).

They're trying too hard.

Remember when RAW was all about Brock lesnar killing John Cena ? Now we get comedy with Micheal Cole.

What about CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan putting on great match ? Now we get Kane and AJ girlfriend storyline mixed in. I hope some kidnapping and rape takes place, to measure up with your usual Kane storyline.

I just noticed than Dolph Ziggler totally looked like Billy Gunn.

I wonder what's behind the thinking process of having a Goldberg clone in 2012.

Even if THQ goes under, I don't see that having much effect on WWE. All that means is they switch video games companies, something they have done at least 2 or 3 times in the past. Someone is going to covet that license because the games always sell. Why the fuck was anyone trying to hype this as "BIG NEWS"? "OH MY GOD I WAS SWORN TO SECRECY AND I CAN'T TELL YOU ABOUT THIS THING YOU REALLY AREN'T GOING TO GIVE A SHIT ABOUT!"

Because it's a big story and I was, in fact, sworn to secrecy on it until it was announced? The only people hyping it up were the guys at the F4W board reacting to Dave's tease, I just confirmed it was a big story.

WWE has changed their home video game publisher exactly once: Acclaim to THQ in the late '90s, which was, in fact, a big story.

Because it's a big story

In what way?

I'm in agreement with most everyone else in the who gives a fuck department on this one.

The publisher that holds the WWE and UFC licenses (who is hemmoraging money and about to be delisted by the NASDAQ) is in such rough shape that they sold the UFC license and fired everyone in their San Diego studio. While UFC3 didn't do especially well and was down from the 2009 and 2010 games, it did make a profit. While this gets them some cash (I guess we'll find out how much at the end of June when they release their quarterly financial statements), this is a pretty bad sign for them.

Cancellation or delay of WWE games would be bad for both WWE as a company and much worse for the undercard wrestlers who make the bulk of their income from the royalty checks. Meltzer pegged it as $35K per wrestler years ago and I'm under the impression the checks have gotten bigger. WWE '13 should still come out but next year is more of a question mark.

UFC becoming a sports property under EA changes how the game is marketed. Dana White implord yesterday that EA is able to distribute into a lot more countries than THQ. Also, THQ has been pushing the franchise to fighting game (as in Street Fighter, Tekken, etc) fans and failing to get traction.

Plus, regardless of all this: WWE going from Acclaim to THQ was big story, too, it was just more interesting to non gamers because THQ jumped from WCW.

Because it's a big story and I was, in fact, sworn to secrecy on it until it was announced? The only people hyping it up were the guys at the F4W board reacting to Dave's tease, I just confirmed it was a big story.

For the WWE and UFC? Not really that big.

It's about 5% of the Revenue of the WWE: $24.6M out of $483.9M last year. It's about 11% of the gross profit: $18.5M out of $168.7M. If that money vanished for a year or more while the WWE tried to find a new publisher and factoring in all the lead time to develop and release the product... it wouldn't be a killer to the WWE. PPV, which folks have been running around in House on Fire mode about the declines, was $78.3M in revenue last year (16% of company revenue) and $40.7M in gross profits (24% of company gross profits). Triple the revenue, more than double the GP.

It's not really that big.

For UFC, it's an even smaller % of their revenue after the Fox deal was signed.

From a business standpoint, it's a bit like saying an undercard guy getting hurt is a big deal to the WWE.

Not trying to shit on it, since it's an *interesting* story. It just isn't a big business story.

John

Could someone look into what Dave said in that interview (the one on Graham's site) about house show takes being cut? We haven't talked about that, right?

He definitely discusses it in the 2/26 episode of WO Radio. He might have also mentioned it in the 2/24 episode.

I'm currently watching some ECW from 2006 and Kurt Angle is on the roster. Now I remember him having the match with Sabu where RVD tries to do a Van Daminator and misses Angle's face by a mile. The next week, Angle is booked in a triple threat Ladder match vs RVD and Sabu but is taken out by Paul Heyman for some injury. Before the match, Angle attacks Heyman and the Bashams backstage. Was that Angle's last appearance on tv? I think it was because he was released before Summerslam if I remember since Sabu got the title shot vs Big Show. The next week, they announce that Angle has been released from his contract. That surprised me that they announced it cause they hardly ever did that or do it now on air. Interesting that the only three people still on the WWE roster that was on the ECW roster are Kelly, Punk and Scott Armstrong.