Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall the UnAmericans being concerned for their safety because they were drawing the wrong kind of heat. In certain parts of the country, a heel doing something offensive to the flag would probably cause a riot.

And that's the wrong kind of heat? The wrong kind of heat is "Go away" heat. "We want to kill you" heat is gold.

Not to my knowledge. But they really were playing with fire by doing an anti-American gimmick in the wake of 9/11.

The UnAmericans never did anything offensive. In fact, it was very Canadian in how bland the approach was. There wasn't much more to it then "you know, we really don't care for you". If you're referring to Hassan, I think they were past the point of "kill him for amurika" heat and into "what the fuck are they thinking?" heat.

Not to my knowledge. But they really were playing with fire by doing an anti-American gimmick in the wake of 9/11.

The UnAmericans never did anything offensive. In fact, it was very Canadian in how bland the approach was. There wasn't much more to it then "you know, we really don't care for you". If you're referring to Hassan, I think they were past the point of "kill him for amurika" heat and into "what the fuck are they thinking?" heat.

They almost burned the flag on Raw. At MSG. Two weeks before the first anniversary of 9/11.

They almost burned the flag on Raw. At MSG. Two weeks before the first anniversary of 9/11.

And I recall Storm talking about how the crowds wanted to kill them in the parking garage or some shit like that.

Out of interest, would you care if someone burned the US flag? Would it rile you up etc?

Personally no, but other people--many of which overlap with a wrestling-fan audience--yes, big time.

In some ways I can see Dave's point. Around the same time of Shawn's flag-humping came the episode of Seinfeld where the Puerto Rican flag was burned--by accident, not intentionally. That was enough to get that episode stricken from the airwaves by NBC and (I believe) in the syndication package.

On the other hand, The Simpsons had a scene with the Union Jack accidentally being set on fire and then buried in compost to put the fire out. Maybe no one cared because it was only an animated flag.

I almost caught a fish thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis big.

Hassan doing the mock beheading on Taker just after the London bombings was in much poorer taste IMO.

And I recall Storm talking about how the crowds wanted to kill them in the parking garage or some shit like that.

Well If Lance says he was getting that big of a reaction from the crowd......

Yes, but where is the heat going to go? If they were being pushed as a main event group toward matches with Austin, Rock and Undertaker, sure. Go for it. But yeah, the heat for these things tend to go more on the promotion than the heels themselves.

WWE actually marketed an Unamericans shirt with the American flag upside down. I'll be surprised if that wasn't a money loser.

One of the funnier stories that gets talked about by the guys at the indy i'm training with is the time when an old man tried to rush the ring at a show a few years back and get in a fight with the trio of Anton Vorrhees (Canada), Alexis Darevko (Russia) & Shiek Khan Abadi (Iran) known as America's Most Hated.

Posted Image

I was actually thear, just as a fan and they weren't even doing anything particularly offensive, just your typical evil foreign heel stuff so i'd always assumed the old guy was either a plant or drunk but talking with the guys i've since found out that it was legit and he just really wanted to beat them up in the name of the good old USA :)