Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pure matches aren't always my bag, but Yuta/Garcia was a banger, and Regal on commentary dropping knowledge made it that much better. I loved when Ian asked if it would be a concern if it went to the judges (one of them was Josh Woods, who Yuta beat for the belt) and Regal made it clear going to the judges was not acceptable like a stern dad

Rush vs Dragon Lee was crazy as expected since these two have probably been having this match since they were kids. Rush can very much be the Randy Orton of Lucha in the sense that you don't always get maximum effort, but when you do you're reminded why he's one of the best. 

I could probably see from Gresham's standpoint how he felt like giving the title to Claudio was more about boosting Blackpool Combat Club than actually boosting ROH.

But stepping away from wrestling altogether? Doesn't he also run Terminus? What's gonna happen with that?

Gresham sounds like an unprofessional ass who is used to being catered to despite headlining a company into bankruptcy (ROH).

At the same time, TK also sounds like he needs to get a real system in place for talent relations, because this isn't the first complaint of that nature.

17 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Gresham sounds like an unprofessional ass who is used to being catered to despite headlining a company into bankruptcy (ROH).

At the same time, TK also sounds like he needs to get a real system in place for talent relations, because this isn't the first complaint of that nature.

Not sure how he is being unprofessional here. Put Cesaro over, did what was asked of him... 

I saw another post in which Gresham himself said he doesn't really have much of a relationship with TK. Like, they don't really talk. And if in addition to that, he saw that he wasn't going to be used, why not ask for a release?

9 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Not sure how he is being unprofessional here. Put Cesaro over, did what was asked of him... 

Cussing out your boss like you're in middle school gym class? Come on...

That's some real Peter Pan shit.

Gresham is not someone I would make any effort to keep - a company literally went bankrupt when he was on top - and I don't see him fitting into WWE, so what are his options realistically?

Maybe Japan, but even that I don't know...

Sounds to me like he thinks he's hotter shit than he actually is. He often called himself the best wrestler in the world in multiple interviews, and while I realize that's a standard line, I think he really believes it.

He's not even better than the guy he lost to - never mind Danielson and others.

As I mentioned earlier, I watched the show with a couple of friends who are lapsed fans, so I didn't do the usual PWO deal of posting along as I watched it.  I also didn't see the pre-show. I know it was available on YouTube but it wasn't on FITE, so I didn't watch it...so I missed everything that happened there.  I took the time to show my friends the first Briscoes/FTR match from Supercard of Honor in April, so see what they thought and get them prepped for the rematch.

- I was surprised to see Gresham/Claudio go on first.  The FITE feed was super glitchy during the first few minutes of this match, which didn't help. I was worried it was going to be an issue all night, but after a couple of minutes it wasn't, thankfully.  I thought this match was just okay.  I actually quite like Gresham, but I found the size difference between he and Claudio to be a bit distracting.  I hate to say it, but I think Gresham needs to stick to fighting guys closer to his own size in order to have compelling and believable matches. There are smaller guys who can pull these kinds of matches off (Taz, PAC and even Low Ki spring to mind) but the size difference in this match really kind of took me out of it.  Maybe it was more in the style of match they were trying to work...I don't know if you can have a believable 50/50 technical wrestling match with such a huge size difference.  If there is that big a difference, I think the smaller guy should work more as an underdog from "underneath" as they say...and Gresham didn't seem to want to work that way. This match was shorter than I expected too.  It was alright. I have no complaints regarding Claudio winning. So much of how this is going to work depends on if ROH get TV and how much they separate the two brands.  I don't want to see all the ROH guys running around on AEW TV with these titles, defending them.  That's just too many titles on TV.  But we'll wait and see.

- The 6 Man match did nothing for me.  I am glad to see Castle and The Boys back in ROH and I hope they stay.  This match was what it was...I don't know much about "The Righteous" and after seeing this match, to be honest I don't much care if I ever see them again.

- I really liked Garcia vs. Yuta.  Yuta especially is really growing on me.  I loved the Pure Wrestling tournament ROH did during the pandemic, I like the concept and the rules so I enjoyed this.  I'm not quite as enthused about Garcia as some other people seem to be, but this was a solid match.  I also really enjoyed Regal on commentary both here and during the World Title match.  This was good stuff.

- As far as Dragon Lee vs. Rush?  I'm just going to say it...Dragon Lee's tights make me very uncomfortable.  He looks like a male stripper wearing a Batman mask and a speedo, and I don't care for it.  This match was pretty good.  I tend to not enjoy the lucha style stuff as a rule...I never "get" the psychology during a lucha match...if there is any.  These guys beat the holy hell out of each other, but then you've got Rush kicking out on a one count, right before the finish. This probably went longer than it had to, and probably could have done without the multiple near falls...but as I said, lucha psychology is not like normal old school psychology.  Having said all that, this was still an excellent match. I have heard elsewhere that at times Rush tends to suffer from a lack of effort and motivation, but he sure looked motivated here. It's impossible to find anything too negative to say about this match...except for Dragon Lee's tights, which get a -50 stars from me.

- I didn't hate Martinez vs. Deeb.  Serena Deeb can generally do no wrong in my eyes, I don't know that I have ever seen her have a truly bad match.  I don't much care for Mercedes Martinez.  I've never seen her as anything all that special. I remember her from NXT and I didn't see much there, and I don't see a whole lot now.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never seen her in what I consider to be a great match.  This was alright. There were some good sequences, but to me this match felt like it was stuck in second gear and never really kicked it up to the level where it was a great or even very good match.

- I really liked Samoa Joe vs. Jay Lethal.  This was the best match I've seen Joe have in a very long time.  If he can still perform at this level, I think he's still got a great last run in him. After that last match against Kross he had in NXT, I wasn't sure he wasn't done.  Sure, he is not the Samoa Joe from his great ROH years (or even his TNA years, I guess...who was really watching those?) but he still has something left in the tank, for sure.  Jay Lethal deserves a lot of credit for this too.  These guys had good chemistry.  I enjoy the old "attack before the bell and have a big brawl before the match officially starts" angle, when it isn't overdone. I hadn't seen anybody do that in a while, and I think it paid off here. Great stuff.

- What can you say about that Main Event?  If you didn't like this match...maybe you don't like Pro Wrestling. I was worried these guys wouldn't be able to follow up on their first match, but they did it and then some. It's hard for me to find anything bad to say about this match. My friends both said it was the best Tag Team match they'd ever seen.  I'm not 100% sure I would go that far...I have a soft spot for a few of the big Tag Matches from AJPW in the 90's, but this match is certainly in the conversation. I would say it would definitely make my Top 5 of all time great Tag Matches.  My only quibble would be that I would have liked to see the Briscoes win, especially since they are staying in ROH. But as I said...there is nothing negative to say here.  That finishing sequence with Mark going through the table and Dax hitting the elevated piledriver on Jay was just perfect.  I love the fact that ROH is going to be spotlighting traditional style, old school Tag Team wresting.  The fact this match was the Main Event says a lot...this is exactly what FTR wanted when they left WWE.  They knew they'd never get to have these kinds of matches with this kind of spotlight if they stayed there.  When you look at the run FTR is on right now...it's unreal. Everything they touch turns to a classic, they are operating on a whole different level.  It's a blast to watch.

Overall, this was a very good PPV.  I'd say the Main Event made it a great PPV, if that match hadn't been on the show, I'd probably be less impressed but even still...there was nothing really bad on this show.  It was super solid, with a Main Event which will probably go down in the books as an all time classic...how can you complain about that?

-

Rush asked Tony to have Dragon Lee as his opponent because he thought it would help his brother get signed, so that explains him putting in the work last night.  Now him vs Mox will be interesting since Rush is very much a student of the LA Park School of Not Doing a Job.

Gresham coming out for his match without his usual octopus getup sporting a boo boo face was hilarious. If you want to tell Tony to go fuck himself, fine, but don't go out to the ring all pouty like a child who was just told to eat his vegetables.

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Gresham coming out for his match without his usual octopus getup sporting a boo boo face was hilarious. If you want to tell Tony to go fuck himself, fine, but don't go out to the ring all pouty like a child who was just told to eat his vegetables.

Gresham really did seem off, as soon as he came out. I actually commented on it at the time, I wondered where his normal ring gear was and why he was acting differently. I had no idea what was going on backstage at the time of course, but in retrospect it is now pretty clear what was happening. He was doing his James Storm imitation, basically.

Also the plan apparently was always for Claudio to win the title, it's the reason TK initially signed him before Bryan got hurt. For Gresham to be surprised that it was actually going to happen seems a bit rich. I get the sense he tried a "that doesn't work for me brother" and it didn't work out the way he thought it would.

1 hour ago, MoS said:

More and more wrestlers should be standing up to promoters if they feel they have been hard-done by, and it's a good thing that we are seeing more of it since the emergence of another major league promotion. 

Yeah, but there's standing up to promoters and then there's cussing them out like a middle schooler having a tantrum. One is professional and adult, and the other is what Gresham did. 

Two things can be true here. One is to say Gresham did himself no favors. And he didn’t. The other is that we now have multiple examples of Tony ghosting talent because he has no infrastructure in place to deal with talent relations. You can have it set up like any other company and make it happen. But he has not done a good job of doing good by people who he decides not to bring back. Especially folks who do it on good faith. It’s obvious Gresham did not, and should be treated as such, but Tony still isn’t in a great spot. 

25 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Christopher Daniels is the head of talent relations. I'm confused at why his name doesn't pop up in these stories. It seems like that communication is his job, not Tony's. 

Because dummies on Twitter think TK is a micromanager like Vince and personally oversees every department.

Now you can (and probably should at this point) make the argument that he should have someone else running talent relations, but instead they just work under the impression that the owner of the company has to be on call for all the wrestlers at all times.

Caught a replay of the PPV and it was a good show. World Title Match was underwhelming and deserved a better build, but 100% the right decision is to put the title on Claudio. 6 man tag was fun, I’m a fan of Dalton Castle. Women’s match and Rush vs Dragon Lee were both ok. Pure title match was good, I think both guys have a bright future ahead of them. The matches I was most I interested in and wanted to see were the TV title and Tag Title matches and both delivered. Hopefully Joe can keep having a good run. FTR as the Revival got me majorly interested in NXT when they were there and they will make me an ROH fan if they keep putting on matches like this. Really hope ROH gets a regular show soon. 

58 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Christopher Daniels is the head of talent relations. I'm confused at why his name doesn't pop up in these stories. It seems like that communication is his job, not Tony's. 

Agreed. But could be a case of Tony wanting to make the calls himself. (But then doesn't do it, I guess? And that leads to these problems.)

Vince having Johnny Ace do it always struck me as the ultimate bitch move.

Maybe that's common in corporations, which - okay, fine - but still a bitch move.

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Yeah, but TK does have the "excuse" of having two wrestling brands, one footy team and one amfoot team to look after. The fuck does Daniels do?

Matches on NJ Strong occasionally from what I can gather.