Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-26-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett vs Billy Joe Travis (Guitar on a Pole)

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

This would have been a MOTYC with 10 more minutes and more momentum shifts. As it stands, it was still tremendous. Travis takes some wild bumps on the floor, including a back body drop and a piledriver. Lawler, doing commentary at ringisde, runs in and attacks Jarrett after the match, breaking the guitar over his head! Kerry Von Erich finally makes the save and both guys bump like mad for him. Eventually the numbers catch up to him though, and Lawler starts attacking him with broken pieces of the guitar. Eventually, Jarrett makes the save with a chair. The post-match stuff is a hell of a brawl on its own, and taken together, this is a GREAT segment.

Incredible, crazy match and post-match. I can see the argument that this veers into Kurt Angle territory as Travis takes a DDT on the table, a piledriver on the floor, and a tombstone in the ring all in the span of about two seconds. By all rights he should have been in a coma. Still, this is worked as a feud blowoff and Jarrett's big revenge, and he doesn't disappoint in that regard. Great heel beatdown afterward with a Kerry Von Erich run-in and the post-match actually has more momentum shifts, transitions, and false finishes than the match itself. That wasn't a cheap-shit cardboard guitar they were swinging around, either.

God bless Loss for this USWA TX stuff with the longer tv matches as it is paying dividends already. This was a great brawl with huge bumping by Travis. I really want to see the Dundee/Travis match now seeing how good Travis works in these type of matches. I thought for a second Lawler might turn on Travis when he had the guitar in his hand and kept directing traffic. The post match beatdowns was a wild scene.

Travis has had a great month so far. Really good match with some big bumps. One of those Pole matches were first person to get guitar wins. The piledriver on the floor gave me pause for a moment but we aren't in Memphis. Lawler ends up convincing Travis to give up the guitar so he can hit Jarrett. Billy should have got the shot in.

Great brawl with Jarrett beating the snot out of Travis pretty much the entire way and getting some revenge, but Lawler and Travis double on Jarrett post-match to keep the feud going. I thought Travis kept getting up from a lot myself, but since he didn't really get any offense in and just kept getting beaten up, I guess I don't have a problem with it. Really looking forward to watching more of Travis on this set, as so far he's been terrific.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I got a late start on the 90s set, so I am only on the second disc. But so far my favorite stuff is the USWA TX stuff. Its just amazing stuff. I am not a Jeff Jarrett fan at all but he was tremendous in this. Like Loss said, this had match of the year potential if it had gone longer.

And of course the continuing revelation of my new favorite wrestler.....Billy Joe Travis. Their really isn't enough superlatives for this guy and cant wait to see more of him

• 1 month later...

The USWA stuff is fun and this was a fun match. Jarrett back in his Memphis/USWA heyday was not as loathed as he is now, but I've always had a soft spot for the guy regardless. I remember watching Jarrett and Travis teaming up one week and fighting each other the next, a lot like Lawler and Dundee used to do a lot. I always liked Travis, too, but apparently he had some personal issues which kept him from reaching a higher level. Fun match and I agree about the length being extended would have made this great. Loved the post-match brawl and the crowd still loves them some Von Erichs as they erupted for Kerry.

• 3 weeks later...

Very heated match here, but very one-sided. Jarrett beats the hell out of Travis and hits some very big moves in this match. The nastiest one was a piledriver on the outside on top of an awkwardly folded chair. Some fun post match brawling here with USWA once again bringing the goods.

• 4 weeks later...

Im from the CWA/USWA/Jarretts territory, so it does kinda surprise me that Billy was so unknown and unseen around here. This was his first heel run in about 4 years and he'd keep turning back and forth for the next 7 or so. He and Jeff Jarrett were a pretty good team back in 1986/87 fueding with Downtown Bruno's guys like Pat Tanaka, Paul Diamond, Boy Tony, Big Bubba and Goliath. If you havent gotten those dvds from the Evansville Channel 7 tape (thats where me and my buds were in front of every saturday after American Bandstand), do it.

• 5 months later...

Really impressed with Travis here and he takes some crazy bumps in this one. This one starts fast and Jarrett gets most of the offense in. DDT on the table and fortunately (it was half-open and would have hurt somebody) Lawler moved the chair before Jarrett hit the piledriver on the floor. Tombstone back inside was pretty great too. Lawler gets pissed on commentary that Jarrett is using his moves and we get the big brawl to end things. Wildly fun and can't miss stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I think I have a new number two for Match of the Month behind Garvin/Valentine. This was one of the wildest brawls I've ever seen, and I wouldn't have thought Jeff Jarrett capable of a match like this. Travis takes an insane amount of punishment, but Marc explains the circumstances well enough that you understand why. As for Lawler, he was probably the MVP of the whole segment, and this comes just a week after an embarrassing performance against JYD. I still vastly prefer him as a face, but he showed an energy and a meanness here that has me ready to see his early WWF work against Bret Hart, which his work here seems to resemble.

Line of the segment: Marc telling the King, "Terrance Garvin has taught me how to respond to you (i.e., no-selling his insults)". At least that waste of space turned out to be good for something!

• 2 weeks later...

Very fun one-sided brawl, with Travis bumping all over the place. The DDT on the table was right out of NOAH circa mid-00's ! Jarrett was intense as a young fired up blowjob babyface. His punches haven't changed a bit since that time, he's been quite consistent with how he delivers them. That's Memphis for you I guess. Yeah, some offense overkill for sure, but this leads into a really fun post-match brawl. It really looked like Lawler was gonna turn on Travis at one point, or maybe that's me having seen too much swerves.

• 10 months later...

Travis sporting regular trunks is pretty disappointing. He can't bust out the halfsie tights only to take them away again. Who's the commentator? Mark something? Him no selling Lawler and just staring straight forward, then talking about about Billy Travis was my favorite part of the whole segment. Also, Jarrett getting the guitar but getting stopped before getting to use it was SO great. Oh man did I want to see Slapnuts Billy Joe get whacked. Brutal guitar shots too, looks like it wasn't gimmicked.

• 1 year later...

I watched the 1990 YB earlier this year, but for some reason the memory of this match did not stand out. But, I did remember that Lawler sweater when I pushed play on this. JJ comes in fired up! They are throwing some stiff punches to start this off too. The hip toss to the floor is awesome, and JJ already is nailing him with a chair. This is the era of JJ that I like best. The young babyface. I never cared for him too much in the WWF, and even less in WCW and TNA. The head smash into the ringside table looks brutal! Piledriver to the floor into a chair! He's murdering Travis. I remembered the match after the Lawler interference. This was really good stuff. I agree that the guitar doesn't looked gimmicked - It appears to be just a cheap guitar. Looks painful. The brawl at the end is really fun, and the chair shot from JJ onto Travis is serious! Loved revisiting this.

#486 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-500-451/

• 8 months later...

Billy Joe Travis warms my heart by arguing with an old lady in the first 10 seconds of this, just about everything he does is perfect to me. Speaking of which, Jarrett is great in this; just a fantastic fired-up babyface performance that he really was fantastic at. It makes you wish he didn't morph into the unconvincing badass of his later years, even if he did always remain a good worker. Travis bumps huge for everything and probably does take a bit too much punishment but the crowd is with them and it all blends nicely into the kind of chaotic brawling that Memphis always did better than anyone. Another great segment in a month filled with them.

• 3 months later...

A squash, but a truly fantastic one with a memorable post-match angle. Jeff Jarrett is full of fire and has a brilliant punch. Just going by this match alone, Jarrett looks like he could of been a top babyface if he didn't become a bit shit later in his career. Billy Joe Travis is a guy who I've never heard of before embarking on this yearbook set and he's made me a fan alright. Takes a beating well and he just gets mauled by Jarrett, eating a nasty DDT on the announce table.

• 8 months later...

This was such a fun beating by Jarrett, totally one-sided but a refreshing match layout rather than having the traditional long heat segment. Everything looked really good, Travis was a bump freak here, loved the backdrop on the floor. 

Post-match was tremendous, all of the punches looked awesome and those guitar shots, with the legit guitar rather than balsa wood, were brutal. 

As a whole, using the new rating scale Loss is using would give this whole segment 8.5.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-01-26-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett vs Billy Joe Travis (Guitar on a Pole)