Pro Wrestling Only

Edge's acting ability!

Loss

When he slicked his hair down while waiting to hit the spear, he really had me believing that he was bad at pro wrestling.

Is Edge really bad at pro wrestling? Or is he so good at pro wrestling that he can pretend that he's bad at pro wrestling and no one is the wiser?

I think I'm willing to throw out the five year waiting period and induct the Edge/Kane feud into the Hall of Fame right now. Great acting from all participants, really a credit to everybody involved. Edge really made me believe he had kidnapped Paul Bearer and tortured him, and was not at all ham-fisted in the way he portrayed trying to mentally break Kane. I mean, check out this De Niro-esque intensity.

I'm not afraid to admit I cried when watching this. Take a look for yourself, as Edge explores so many nuances in interpersonal relationships. This really made me think about the ways in which we all interact with each other.

I'll agree it's shitty acting, but I'll give it up to them for not having a chaste little 1950s kiss (or 90s wrestling kiss).

If Adam Copeland were a bad actor, would he have received a starring role in a WWE Films production? They don't give those to just anybody, you know. You have to at least be on the level of noted thespians Glen Jacobs, John Cena, and Paul Levesque.

Don't forget Ted Dibiase Jr.

Doesn't Edge have the highest segment rating since the boom years for the live sex with Lita? Crazy really.

I actually flicked on the sports channels the other day and there was 'WWE Vintage' or something on with him wrestling Angle Hair v Hair in 2002, and it was a really fun match. Fast paced, gripping, a lot of heat etc. But by the time he started getting pushed as a top level talent in 2005 or whatever, he had declined so much in the ring.

I would actually label it as an amazing dual performance, as Edge was able to portray a declining wrestler with a shitty running hug as a finish to part of the wrestling fanbase, while also portraying one of the top wrestlers in the world to the other part of the fanbase. It's one thing to portray a shitty wrestler or a great wrestler, but it's something else all together to portray both simultaneously, and just another example of the great acting ability of Edge.

During the brief time I did Smackdown Workrate Reports on Segunda Caida in 2007, I got to cover some very choice incidences of Edge's great acting ability, though obviously I didn't fully appreciate them at the time:

3/21/08:

-Edge and Funaki had a totally fine competitive squash. Not sure why I'm expected to buy Edge having a chance against the Undertaker when Funaki gives him some trouble, but the match was totally okay. But who the fuck told Edge that he could do serious mic work. Tonight, he's gonna go to a whole new level! A whole new level of awkward grimacing and hair-pulling swiped from Victoria's playbook of unconvincing psychopath pantomime techniques.

3/28/08:

-So Edge is this "Ultimate Opportunist", this brilliant, canny tactician whose cunning plans have made him the most powerful force on Smackdown, and who has been able to outsmart The Undertaker at every turn so far, but he couldn't foresee that The Undertaker just might have been hiding in the casket? You know, like he's been doing pretty much every time a casket shows up on WWE programming for the last 18 years? If I've said it once (as I actually have already in this piece), I've said it a million times: just because something is predictable, doesn't mean it's bad. But when you've got a guy like Edge, who's been built up as a genre savvy schemer who's been able to subvert or avert many of his foes' usual tricks, it seems stupid that he wouldn't have seen this coming. Fuck, Jake Roberts figured it out in '92, and then, The Undertaker had only done it two or three times before. Now he's been doing it for 18 years. Stop sleeping, man!

4/4/08:

-One of the few bright spots of Edge's overblown, Victoria-esque psycho heel behavior that he's been employing the last few months was that at least he wasn't doing the fake-ass Nick Bockwinkel shit that he was doing when he first jumped to Smackdown anymore. Well, I'll be damned if he isn't doing it again. After months of unrelenting evil and treachery, he's back to being a fighting (ex-)champion, apologizing to the crowd for letting them down and whatnot. Maybe his gimmick is that he has a multiple personality disorder? That would explain why I don't know him, despite constantly thinking that I do. Whatever the case, Edge seems to be to gimmicks what Rocky Romero is to offense: if it looked cool on tape, use it, regardless of whether or not it actually works or makes sense in context or you're any good at it at all.

• 9 years later...

I decided this was worth a bump after the latest Observer praised Edge's acting in the segment on Raw where he turned heel. And I quote: "The way this segment was laid out and Edge’s performance were tremendous. His acting ability and timing are incredible"

In fairness, he was fine before he started with the ridiculous Why Am I So Violent faces. Also, being back on the road has totally owned him. He looks like he's aged about 20 years since returning.

I mean, it's big stage US WWE pro-wrestling. He's not much goofier than Hulk Hogan. Of course Hogan has never been accused of being a tremendous actor either. Edge looks more painfully constipated than violent though.

38 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

He looks like he's aged about 20 years since returning.

He looks about 10 years older than Christian. And they are the same age. The beard and long hair don't help one bit (crazy that Chris Jericho, with the life he had, which wasn't the most healthy at times in term of alcoholic consumption, looks way younger too these days).

On 10/14/2012 at 8:10 AM, Cox said:

I think I'm willing to throw out the five year waiting period and induct the Edge/Kane feud into the Hall of Fame right now. Great acting from all participants, really a credit to everybody involved. Edge really made me believe he had kidnapped Paul Bearer and tortured him, and was not at all ham-fisted in the way he portrayed trying to mentally break Kane. I mean, check out this De Niro-esque intensity.

Sorry for the double post but I rewatched this and I have just been laughing so hard, wtf is this lol