Jerry Lawler

goodhelmet

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching the Lawler/Race hour long draw. Holy shit was that good and a hell of a way to work a head lock. I loved the simplicity of it and how each one of Harleys bumps were well placed and the severity of each fit the pace of the match perfectly. That match felt like two heavyweight prize fighters slugging the hell out of each other.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched Terry Funk vs. Jerry Lawler (JAPW 4/12/03) a couple days ago and found it to be very enjoyable. It's Jerry Lawler & Terry Funk in a match with a lot of punching, piledrivers and Terry Funk bleeding. What's not to like? The only knock I have on it is that 20 years after their original feud there is just no feeling of actual hatred between the two so at times it feels too "nostalgia act"

Didn't they have a 3PW match in Philly around this time or am I confusing things? I've been meaning to work through 3PW for better or worse, I remember a lot of strange / unique matches being booked which may be fun to revisit. Sean Waltman and Sabu had a fun match a decade after their tape trading classic which was fun at the time.

• 1 year later...

I am putting together a one hour of comp of Lawler to show some younger fans who are friends of mine. We're doing a wrestling generation gap podcast, and they see Lawler as only the puppies guy who had decent comeback matches on Raw this last decade.

It should be around an hour long.

What are the must see Jerry Lawler matches I should include? Dates would be helpful. Thanks so much

I wonder if the Savage matches are a little too stall-y for newer fans just getting acquainted with Lawler? Although there is the advantage of an opponent everyone is familiar with in Savage.

I would do:

Lawler vs Terry Funk No DQ 03/23/81

Lawler vs Dutch Mantell No DQ 03/22/82

Lawler vs King Kong Bundy $10,000 Challenge 7/16/84

Lawler vs Bill Dundee Loser Leaves Town 12/30/85

Lawler & Mantell vs Dundee & Landell 03/10/86

Lawler & Bigelow vs RIch & Idol Texas Death Match 03/23/87

Others to Consider:

Lawler vs Blackwell 5/4/81

Lawler vs Bockwinkel (Trilogy)

Lawler & Savage vs Bundy & Rude (either one, can't remember which I prefer) 7/84

Lawler vs Bam Bam Bigelow Texas Death Match 09/07/86

Maybe the Kerry match if you think your buds can brave the commentary. :)

Maybe a Snowman match?

Or just watch the entire buildup episode for the 6/83 LLT match with Dundee and then watch that match and call it a day (I wouldn't watch this one out of context though, I think the build really takes it to the next level).

However, I think the 12/30/85 LLT against Dundee is Lawler's best performance and the most obvious example for Lawler being an unbelievably great wrestler.

• 5 months later...

Jerry Lawler was a major revelation for me going through the Memphis set. Growing up I was always a fan of wrestlers who did lots of 'moves', but Lawler completely captivated me with his more minimalist approach. On every match on the set he held my attention from beginning to end. His punches are without a doubt the best i've ever seen and as beautiful to watch as any flip or dive. He had such great timing and an incredible connection with the Memphis fans. I need to see more of the King!

• 1 month later...