Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-01-21-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXXIV] Chris Benoit vs Kevin Sullivan (Falls Count Anywhere)

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

"The first kickout we've ever seen from a bathroom!" -- Tony Schiavone

Sullivan doesn't even want to waste time in the ring. He wants to go in the crowd right away. Bobby Eaton is working security! Dusty's use of the term "domestic disturbance" cracks me up. Chaotic scene with all the fans getting involved. Benoit takes a frightening bump down the steps of the building. This is a really good time capsule for seeing how excited WCW fans were at this point in time, as much as it is a match worth watching for its own merits and flaws. Woman smacks Sullivan with a chair, leaving Benoit to cover Sullivan for the win.

I fully accept that the Bash is way better but this was loads of fun to and Benoit's bump into the heat unit in the bathroom and down the stairs was sick. You also get the greatness of Eaton separating them. This felt definitive and should have been the end of it.

I also am usually immune to this but Woman and Benoit coming out int he beginning really creeped me out.

Sullivan wants to start things outside the ring and Benoit is game. I can only imagine if some fan was taking a legit number two and being in the background as they fight in the bathroom. Woman clocks Sullivan with a wooden chair leading to Benoit win. Benoit gets his own shot in after. Them lying around in the bathroom could not have been fun.

I can only imagine if some fan was taking a legit number two and being in the background as they fight in the bathroom.

I assume that they cleared the bathroom before the match as I would guess that they planned to fight there beforehand (which might not be the case for the Bash one).

• 8 months later...

I can only imagine if some fan was taking a legit number two and being in the background as they fight in the bathroom.

I assume that they cleared the bathroom before the match as I would guess that they planned to fight there beforehand (which might not be the case for the Bash one).

Hopefully, because it got cringeworthy at times. Especially Randy Anderson one feet in the urinal.

Never gets old with me, this feud was gold (of course there's a creepy factor now watching it). Say what you want, but Sullivan is the one who made Benoit seem important in WCW in the first place, and he put him over like no one else. Hell, he even put over Nancy here. The balsa wood chairs were mocked back in the days, but now it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1997-01-21-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXXIV] Chris Benoit vs Kevin Sullivan (Falls Count Anywhere)
  • 4 months later...

This was probably a bit too on the nose that they were trying to capture that Great American Bash lightning in the bottle, because they headed for the bathrooms straight away, but at the same time they worked a great little seven minute potatofest. They actually wrestle most of this IN the bathroom this time, rather than doing a brief pit stop there before taking the fight elsewhere ala the GAB. Benoit flies into a radiator and hand dryer, Sullivan gets conked with a bin and chucked into a cubicle, the referee ends up in a urinal. On their way back to the ring Sullivan absolutely heaves Benoit down the stairs and Benoit takes a fucking bonkers bump down about forty stairs. Finish was maybe a wee bit daft but post-match Benoit BLASTS Sullivan with a folding patio chair. I'll be honest, I could watch these two potato each other for days (although yeah, there's a sort of creepiness to the Benoit/Nancy stuff).