Pro Wrestling Only

Universally enjoyable matches

tim

Now of course there will be no REALLY universally enjoyable matches that EVERYONE who has any interest in wrestling will like, but there should be some that come pretty close.

The Ultraman/Solar/Astro v. Hermoso/Greco/Reyna match from the Lucha set got me thinking about it. That match is just a total blast; big dives, fast paced sequences, great comedy moments and doesn't let up or overstay its welcome. Seems like a match you could show just about anyone who has any interest in wrestling and they'd enjoy watching it.

So what are some other great examples of near universally enjoyable matches? The big 10 man tag from RAW in 2000 should be up there. Big feel, lots of "names" of the time involved, fast pace, some cool dynamics and lots of fun spots in succession and a nuclear crowd. Even stereotypical workrate fans tend to give that match a lot of praise.

I'd imagine that Magnum vs Tully "I Quit" in the cage is pretty universal. It's even more awesome knowing the full story, which is an incredible story, but without it it's obvious that these two guys hate each other, Tully is the bad guy, Magnum is the good guy, and that the match is important. Especially the end where Tully is bloody and crying and has quit and Magnum is standing over him holding Tully by the hair in one hand and the wood shard in the other. Magnum throwing both Tully and the shard aside, tossing HIS belt over his shoulder and leaving the cage with a backward disgusted glance at Tully? It's the greatest bit of storytelling that's communicated without explanation EVER.

When I think of universal in its broadest sense and the sort of match that would appeal and make sense to anyone, even non-fans, for some reason my mind goes to Bobby Heenan. So "a Bobby Heenan match" would be my answer.

If we're talking strictly wrestling fans, then it's a really hard question. My answer would still probably be "a Bobby Heenan match".

I can't see anything other than big time attitude era and beyond Wrestlemania matches having anything close to universal appeal. Many Americans think that Lucha looks coreographed, and some Japanese that it looks weak. Mexican fans think that 80s American wrestling and 90s Japanese heavyweight wrestling is way too slow, and in the case of Japan, colorless. There are many other cliches like that, even among superfans of one country or style. WWE seems to be the only thing that gets appreciated even by the Mexican and Japanese.

the first Fujita Jr. Hayato vs. Koji Kanemoto match seemed to get unaminous praise from everyone that saw it. 13 minutes, clear story, clear roles, a crowd reacting exactly as you would want them to and solid believable action. And it's not too gruesomely stiff that people who don't like that would be put off.

2/4/94 M PRo 6 man tag

just watched this again recently and talked about it on my Michinoku Pro show last week. We described it as non-stop smiles.

the first Fujita Jr. Hayato vs. Koji Kanemoto match seemed to get unaminous praise from everyone that saw it. 13 minutes, clear story, clear roles, a crowd reacting exactly as you would want them to and solid believable action. And it's not too gruesomely stiff that people who don't like that would be put off.

2/4/94 M PRo 6 man tag

just watched this again recently and talked about it on my Michinoku Pro show last week. We described it as non-stop smiles.

Yep I was pleased as punch that was one of the matches the you and Dean discussed.

Another one I thought about was Rockers vs. Powers of Pain 1/15/90

I'd imagine that Magnum vs Tully "I Quit" in the cage is pretty universal. It's even more awesome knowing the full story, which is an incredible story, but without it it's obvious that these two guys hate each other, Tully is the bad guy, Magnum is the good guy, and that the match is important. Especially the end where Tully is bloody and crying and has quit and Magnum is standing over him holding Tully by the hair in one hand and the wood shard in the other. Magnum throwing both Tully and the shard aside, tossing HIS belt over his shoulder and leaving the cage with a backward disgusted glance at Tully? It's the greatest bit of storytelling that's communicated without explanation EVER.

That is my personal favorite match ever, so I tried to get my wife to watch it in the hopes she would get hooked, or at least slightly interested. She just got grossed out by the blood and machismo and was even more confused about wrestling than before! The only match she has watched that she actually enjoyed was the first HBK vs. Taker Wrestlemania match -- I had like 20 people over at our house because it was on my birthday and everybody was hooked, even though half of the people there didn't give a shit about wrestling. Maybe that meets the criteria for this thread?

Magnum vs Tully I Quit Steel Cage!!! Probably my favorite match ever. First watched it on the WWE Bloodbath: Wrestling's Most Incredible Steel Cage Matches DVD. I was about 10 at the time. Totally unique to what I had seen at that point. THAT HATE! It just comes across so well that it is hard for a fan to not get enamored by it.

I feel like wrestling fans and non-wrestling fans can really get into the Mankind vs Shawn Michaels match from Mind Games. Everyone I've watched it with has always enjoyed it whether they were wrestling fans or not. Its got a good pace, it's action-packed with enough high-spots to hold interest for the attention span challenged, and it has stars that are recognizable enough to most people.

Magnum vs Tully I Quit Steel Cage!!! Probably my favorite match ever. First watched it on the WWE Bloodbath: Wrestling's Most Incredible Steel Cage Matches DVD. I was about 10 at the time. Totally unique to what I had seen at that point. THAT HATE! It just comes across so well that it is hard for a fan to not get enamored by it.

that's where I first saw it too!

If I had to go for a non-Bobby Heenan match, that one with the Gorilla from Mid-South, DiBiase and Borne vs. JYD and Mr. Olympia. It doesn't have blood so won't gross any one out. It's super-simple to understand. It has intrigue. It has a hot crowd. It has a super hero (JYD) and a super villain (Ted). It's the sort of match that you can point to and say "this is pro wrestling".

Anyone who doesn't like it isn't my friend.

There is no such thing as a universally enjoyable match, which is a good thing. If they did exist, how boring would this board be?

Well yeah, but I do think there are some matches that will appeal to an exceptionally large cross section of both hardcore and casual fans, maybe even some to a "vast" majority.