Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 50

puropotsy

In honor of the fiftieth episode of The Wrestling Culture podcast, Dylan and I run down our Top Fifty list of the best in-ring wrestlers of all time. We ended up recording it in two parts and had a great time with the conversation. Thanks to everyone who has listened to any or all of our first fifty episodes and here's to another fifty.

Wrestling Culture Episode 50

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've reached the 21. mark and there's still almost 2 hours left!

At this stage, considering who is out already, I'm looking set to be heartbroken that my boy didn't make the cut on either list.

Also, there's one guy who doesn't make Dylan's list who is a legit massive shock considering Dylan's ... for lack of a better term "gimmick" over the past 18 months or so.

About 40 minutes in, obviously intriguing topic and great show so far. Funny enough a couple days ago I was on the bus and started thinking about what my top 30 would look like. I put pen and paper on it for the first time since my Smarkschoice vote back in 2006 when I was a 16 year old lurker (I don't remember what my list was but I know I wouldn't stand by it) and here's what I came up with:

1. Negro Casas

2. Yoshiaki Fujiwara

3. Jerry Lawler

4. El Hijo del Santo

5. Toshiaki Kawada

6. Mitsuharu Misawa

7. El Satanico

8. El Dandy

9. Genichiro Tenryu

10. Stan Hansen

11. Rey Mysterio

12. Shinya Hashimoto

13. Yuki Ishikawa

14. Ric Flair

15. Blue Panther

16. Eddie Guerrero

17. Terry Funk

18. Bill Dundee

19. William Regal

20. Finlay

21. Sangre Chicana

22. Kenta Kobashi

23. Bryan Danielson

24. Jun Akiyama

25. Pirata Morgan

26. Negro Navarro

27. Black Terry

28. Daisuke Ikeda

29. Dick Murdoch

30. Akira Taue

This is an amazing down time listen. It has been on all day at various points. I'm still about an hour from the finish. Just hit the Top 10. A lot of the guys I haven't seen much of at all. I guess I should get on that haha.

Hearing Mick Foley love always makes me full of glee. I met him at a festival in town and actually hung out with his son Dewey(my age) the whole day and we bought baseball and football cards. Easily one of my Top 5 favorites.

I've listened to part of the show and will provide my thoughts at the end. For what it's worth (not much), here's my current top 50 list, which is more a snapshot in time of how I feel right now than it is something I would stick by even in a few months. This has a heavy (but not entirely) 90s bias at the moment, but here's what I think right now.

1. Ric Flair

2. Stan Hansen

3. Jumbo Tsuruta

4. Mitsuharu Misawa

5. Jushin Liger

6. Toshiaki Kawada

7. Kenta Kobashi

8. Genichiro Tenryu

9. El Hijo del Santo

10. Ricky Morton

11. Rey Mysterio

12. Vader

13. Tatsumi Fujinami

14. Kiyoshi Tamura

15. Negro Casas

16. El Dandy

17. Riki Choshu

18. Yoshiaki Fujiwara

19. Terry Funk

20. Shinya Hashimoto

21. Akira Hokuto

22. El Satanico

23. Ricky Steamboat

24. Bobby Eaton

25. Jerry Lawler

26. Shinjiro Otani

27. Barry Windham

28. Akira Taue

29. Espectrito

30. Yuki Ishikawa

31. Megumi Kudo

32. Atsushi Onita

33. Tully Blanchard

34. Daisuke Ikeda

35. Volk Han

36. Ron Garvin

37. Steve Austin

38. Bull Nakano

39. Bret Hart

40. Larry Zbyszko

41. Naoki Sano

42. Randy Savage

43. Taka Michinoku

44. Tsuyoshi Kikuchi

45. Steven Regal

46. Sean Waltman

47. Nobuhiko Takada

48. Rick Rude

49. Psicosis

50. Hayabusa

Just to confirm, part 1 is ~30 minutes and part 2 is ~2.5 hours? Just want to confirm I've got everything properly loaded. Plan on listening to this on a 20 mile run on Saturday and don't want to find out I didn't load the right files.

Yup, that's right. Personally urgent situation on my end and we stopped and re-started later.

I think this might be my favorite episode.

Just to confirm, part 1 is ~30 minutes and part 2 is ~2.5 hours? Just want to confirm I've got everything properly loaded. Plan on listening to this on a 20 mile run on Saturday and don't want to find out I didn't load the right files.

Yup, that's right. Personally urgent situation on my end and we stopped and re-started later.

I think this might be my favorite episode.

Fantastic, really looking forward to it. Maybe open up a related thread after people have had the chance to listen to it for a bit where you post the list, Loss's, and others can chime in with theirs to discuss?

Pratt, don't want to spoil the podcast but the discussion that centers around Bret and whether or not he made the respective lists was very interesting.

That is my favorite thing about this show. There is some minor quibbles I have (Funk would be around #10-#20 for me) and then bigger ones (Would honestly be surprised if someone like Sabu would show up in my top 100) but there is always justification to the choice and I can chalk it up to different preferences and tastes.

This, the time travel episode, Lawler/Funk/Flair roundtable, and Funk as the GOAT are my favorite podcasts in the first 50.

I heard all of part 1 and got to Dave reading his 40-31 lists then I fell asleep. Nothing like falling asleep to Dave and Dylan's podcast. :lol:

Anyways, this has been a great show from what I've heard. I need to finish this up sometime this weekend.

The only thing worse would be falling asleep while hosting your own podcast :blink:

Well, I have to ask, how far down the list DiBiase would have come. When Savage was out on both lists, I knew we wouldn't be seeing him. But just a small personal point of interest. I don't quite get, for example, why Barry Windham is so "obviously" higher than him in these sorts of lists. I sometimes get the impression that guys go up and down depending on when stuff is being watched. Conduct a poll right in the middle of when the MidSouth 80s project was going on, and maybe Ted gets more of a look in. Know what I mean? I think both Dylan and Dave were open about this being a "snap shot" (see also Harley Race).

Anyway, despite all that, I really enjoyed this. Excellent show. And Exhibit A in why I feel still feel pretty inhibited about coming up with my own list. Still a few years off. This has also got me quite pumped for Puerto Rico.