Pro Wrestling Only

The worst match of all time

NintendoLogic

Figured this would be a fun topic to discuss. To make things interesting, I'm excluding matches that were ruined by overbooking or a ridiculous gimmick. I'm also excluding matches involving celebrities and the like. I'm looking for matches where trained and experienced wrestlers completely stink out the joint and have no one to blame but themselves.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Backlund vs. Harley Race (9/22/80)

Rick Martel vs. Brad Rheingans (9/9/84)

I kid, I kid. Though those are both E-rated matches in my book (about -**). Then of course there was this travesty:

Steve Regal vs. Buck Zumhofe (11/28/85)

Ughhhhhhhh

Pretty much ANY match featuring Kung-Fu Billy Graham in JCP, who is just sooo shit and awful that it's actively sad to see him.

But for the worst match that was so bad it almost broke wrestling my vote goes for the 3-minute atrocity that Chad and I watched recently on Clash of the Champions 13:

Sid Vicious vs. The Nightstalker

In the hundreds of matches we've watched on WTBBP, that has got to be the absolute worst. It's a total clusterfuck, awful, awful work, execution and so on, clusterfuck booking that makes no sense, a CARDBOARD AXE. All inside 3 minutes.

If it's not the worst match of all-time, it's got at least to be a contender for worst match of the 90s and worst match of WCW period.

11th March 1993 - Wembley Arena - London

Rick Rude v Davey Boy Smith - this will haunt my dreams until the end of time. Two guys who clearly could not be bothered and subsequently decided to sit in rest holds virtually the whole match.

So bad it almost stopped time itself.

What was that lucha match from the IWA King of the Death Match?

Iceman vs Kamikaze?

Though I have to say, putting a card like that almost requires booking bad matches. You need something to contrast among the seven death matches, to quiet the crowd before building them up again.

The most common choice for worst match on British TV:

It's the blow-off to one of the few long-term TV storylines with manager Charlie McGee bringing in guys to face Daddy and eventually having to get in the ring itself. To make things better it was the last week of Joint's exclusive contract and was followed the next week by the All Star debut (including a young Jushin Liger and a wacky ladder match) and the week after that the first WWF show.

Steiners v. Muta and hase

Heroes of Wrestling: The Jake Roberts incident.

If you want to give that show a pass for being a one time indy show that was in over its head, then I would say The Demon vs Vampiro BATB 2000. Really, the whole Vampiro/Sting/Kiss Demon thing around that time was one of those embarassed to be a fan type angles.

Tiger Ali Singh vs Edge from WWF Capital Carnage is pretty fucking shocking. Ali Singh was horrible, and I've never been mad on Edge.

The whole card stank of boiled egg shits to be honest. The only bright spot was Jackie Moore's superduper tits. The first ever time I knew what it felt like for people in the US paying for a pay per view and wanting to put your foot through the telly and send WWF the bill.

Tiger Ali Singh vs Edge from WWF Capital Carnage is pretty fucking shocking. Ali Singh was horrible, and I've never been mad on Edge.

The whole card stank of boiled egg shits to be honest. The only bright spot was Jackie Moore's superduper tits. The first ever time I knew what it felt like for people in the US paying for a pay per view and wanting to put your foot through the telly and send WWF the bill.

Well his father was Tiger Jeet Singh, long considered one of the worst wrestlers of all time. I remember getting a batch of Japanese footage a very long time ago and there was a ton of Tiger Jeet Singh matches on them. He was a huge star over there but man did his matches suck.

Rock and X-Pac was pretty good!