Pro Wrestling Only

Least deserving Meltzer 5-star match

efrim

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Dragon Gate in ROH WM weekend match. A fine example of that style, but it seemed like Dave was just impressed by seeing it for the first time in years. And as someone who was a fan of Toryumon before eventually souring on it, the Toryumon/DG style wears thin because the matches run together easily. I would get a month or two of TV and then stop watching for a better part of a year until the inevitable turns/resetting of stables freshened up the matches, then repeat the cycle, with maybe some exceptions for notable singles matches.

Having said that, while I've never seen Richards-Elgin, I'm sure it's much worse.

Dynamite vs Tiger Mask 4/21/83 (draw for the vacant WWF Jr. Title)

Haven't seen that match in almost a decade and my tastes in wrestling have changed quite a bit. But I remember watching that match and having no clue how it got that rating.

That's the one with the stupid bullshit involving Dynamite breaking a bottle, right? Even by the overrated standards of their series that match easily stands out as the worst of the bunch.

Dynamite vs Tiger Mask 4/21/83 (draw for the vacant WWF Jr. Title)

Haven't seen that match in almost a decade and my tastes in wrestling have changed quite a bit. But I remember watching that match and having no clue how it got that rating.

That's the one with the stupid bullshit involving Dynamite breaking a bottle, right? Even by the overrated standards of their series that match easily stands out as the worst of the bunch.

Yep, that's the one.

Joe v Kobashi for me. I'm not a big puro fan at all. I know the name Kobashi from all the magazines and RF Video lists from the 90's and personally I found it really underwhelming if you aren't preconditioned to Kobashi worship leftover from the 90's.

I actually liked Richards v Elgin a lot more than Joe v Kobashi on repeated viewings of both. I've re-watched Joe v Kobashi a bunch of times trying to like it and I sincerely think everyone who loves Kobashi (not that there's anything wrong with that) overrates it big time.

Kobashi/Joe was good, but not great and it's not universally loved by those who've followed Japanese wrestling for years, it just universally loved by newer US indy wrestling fans who began following Japanese wrestling because of ROH and think it's the greatest match ever.

Not having watched said Richards/Elgin match I can't say, but on paper it doesn't sound like the type of match I'd give I'd rate that highly.

I had the exact opposite experience with Joe/Kobashi. I came in without any preconditioned love of Kobashi, puro, or even ROH or Joe for that matter, and I came away impressed that the match was able to live up to overwhelming hype. I totally bought the dream match feel they were going for, and I love the atmosphere. It's an example of a "good smark crowd" , to put it that way, one that adds to instead of distracts from a match,