Pro Wrestling Only

Punk Walks Out of WWE

Strummer

I thought it was pretty weird that Punk was #3 on the Best Villains Countdown (ahead of Triple H, amongst others). I know those were made a while ago but they've obviously done interviews with wrestlers at different times. We're at a period now that they're knocking him out of any bit of promotional material possible and he was all over that, even if it maybe wasn't the most positive portrayal.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the Natalie Slater Punk piece. It took me a minute to figure out how she arrived at 7 world titles, and then I thought, "Yeah, I guess..."

Wiki has him at 3 WHC, 2 WWE, 1 ECW, 1 ROH, assume that's the combination. Was an OVW champ once as well.

I was at Wal-Mart earlier today and they have a Slam City figure of him as an ice cream vendor (with the street cart).

Yeah, I mean that's normal for basically every celebrity. I remember on the first season of the Osbournes, parties of people were at the end of their driveway constantly. Plus under his circumstances basically saying nothing, that just adds to it. I mean how does she and going by the article him not understand fame? If Punk thinks he has it bad imagine what it's like being one of those teen celebs.

Punk's beef always seemed to be that non-wrestling fans would bug him because he was getting attention from legitimate fans. I'm not saying wrestling fans didn't drive him crazy, I'm certain they did, but people asking for autographs/ pictures because he appeared to be someone famous really grated him.

Punk's beef always seemed to be that non-wrestling fans would bug him because he was getting attention from legitimate fans. I'm not saying wrestling fans didn't drive him crazy, I'm certain they did, but people asking for autographs/ pictures because he appeared to be someone famous really grated him.

Yeah, this is something he's talked about. He'll be giving time to a kid who asked nicely and then some weirdo would say "Who are you?" and try to get an autograph.

Besides his disappearance, I feel like living in Chicago proper probably contributes to his current issues. It's not NY, where you could easily find out where celebrities live but nobody bothers them. I can't think of another modern wrestling star who lived in that type of environment. They're in celebrity/athlete friendly places like Tampa or suburban Atlanta or even LA.

Chicago isn't normally that bad, so it's strange. I live in Lakeview and quite a few Cubs players live here and they are out bike riding and dining in restaurants without really getting bothered too much. I think it's a wrestling fan thing.

Chicago isn't normally that bad, so it's strange. I live in Lakeview and quite a few Cubs players live here and they are out bike riding and dining in restaurants without really getting bothered too much. I think it's a wrestling fan thing.

This, I used to love in a Chicago suburb, and my family still visits semi-regularly for the zoo, museums, and Cubs games. I've seen plenty of celeb sports players, TV stars, movie stars, and there almost universally left alone. They'll get the occasional request for an autograph, but I've never seen one be bombarded like Punk is apparently dealing with.

Wrestling does have a tendency to attract weirdos, though CM Punk is a strange one to have stalkers day and night. Perhaps it's because his gimmick is that of the everyday wrestling fan who happened to make it, people think he is just another guy who wants to hang out with them.

Good point, especially if they are a bit off or more in terms of social interactions. Which you'd imagine would be a good number of adults (and teens as well, basicall pass the age that society deems wrestling, comics and that sort of stuff as appropriate to have as a serious hobby) who are into fighting sports, predetermined (rasslin), legit (MMA, boxing) or self defense/excersise (martial arts).

I don't know, I just find the whole column a bit odd. Clearly, Punk is rightly fed up of being harassed and just wants to be left alone. I'm just not sure the best way of going about it was to agree to his friend's idea of her writing a column complaining about it in a local newspaper. It was just going to court more attention on him and the vile, misogynistic reaction from the nuttiest elements of the online wrestling community had to be expected if you freely give out your Twitter handle and an email address.

On the other hand, without knowing that she was his high school girlfriend, one of his best friends and had Punk's prior agreement to write the column, you can't really blame people for jumping to the wrong conclusion that this was just someone wanting their five seconds of fame. If the whole aim was to get people to leave him alone, then it wasn't written in a manner that would be successful to achieving that goal.

If he lived up in like Glenview where the Bears players are (and where Pat O'Connor used to live) then he'd probably be fine. Living in the city proper can't help, though I do think it's a wrestling fans thing to take it to another level. Plus, who was the last wrestler that meant as much to a city as Punk does to Chicago? Not to say he's number one on the list, not even close, but he's very much a celebrity and beloved figure here.

Didn't know you were a Chicagoan, Loss. That's a good point, but I think other pro athletes, save for the most famous, are less recognizable than someone like Punk to his fanbase. Someone like Jay Cutler or Jeff Samardzjia would be recognizable as the biggest players on their teams, but even most pro athletes get less direct, focused face time on TV than someone like Punk.

I'm going to copy tamalie's posts from WC on this topic because they're worth reading:

Punk lives in a densely populated, very urban part of Chicago. Finding privacy there as a celebrity is a tall order because fans can basically walk up to his front door and see through his windows from the street. The alternative would be to live in the suburbs in a house that's very set back from a quiet road and possibly even gated, but that's not the lifestyle he wants right now either. If he wants to stay in the heart of Chicago, there are too many condos with private entry and security to mention. He can move to one and have an instant buffer without losing the urban experience he wants.

I don't blame him for being a bit freaked out by the loss of privacy, but this is the life he chose. His best bet is to carve out some places he can go, be it restaurants, bars, stores or whatever, that he makes his regular spots and can build a relationship with the proprietors and staff who can then help keep people at bay. He could also roll with friends to provide cover. Punk will face more unwanted conversations and autographs on his own as opposed to being in a pack. Anonymity is out of the question, but he can take steps to avoid being hounded.

As far as taking out the garbage goes, it's extreme, but get security cameras and check the alley before going out to make sure it's clear. If there are tresspassers or loiterers, call the cops or arrange for a private security company to sweep through now and then. Don't have a mail box that people can access in that fashion. Have one that you and the mailman only can access by key. Punk can't on the one hand be mad he got passed over for main eventing Wrestlemania during his big 2011-13 run and also complain about the spotlight. He, deep down, wanted the fame and fortune, and can at least mitigate the accompanying hoopla and find a comfort level within it.

[…]

He's not on the level of a Bears, Cubs, White Sox, Blackhawks or Bulls player, but CM Punk is a major deal to fans in Chicago who know who he is because it's not like LA or NYC or even Miami with mainstream celebs everywhere. Sports celebs go farther in that city. However, as mentioned, Punk has put himself in the eye of the storm by choosing an address in that particular neighborhood. If he'd picked a different address, namely a more security oriented high rise, many of these alleged issues would be non factors.

If he wanted some privacy he shouldn't have left in a way that almost guarantees that everyone who sees you will ask "Hey why did you leave WWE!?" I doubt a guy like Edge had these same problems when he retired because he actually announced why he was leaving.

He likely thought he could just disappear and fade into obscurity if he quit having a public presence but that was never really a possibility.

If he wanted some privacy he shouldn't have left in a way that almost guarantees that everyone who sees you will ask "Hey why did you leave WWE!?" I doubt a guy like Edge had these same problems when he retired because he actually announced why he was leaving.

I would venture that has little to nothing to do with it.

• 4 months later...

So, in a recent interview, Stephanie McMahon was asked about the possibility of CM Punk returning. She replied, "Never say never."

Now, I'll be the first to call this a big peice of non-news. "Never say never" is a non-response, a civil and courteous answer that allows fans to speculate, but certainly doesn't guarantee a return is imminent.

Still, it does seem a *little* surprising just because it is probably more friendly and open-minded a response than Punk probably deserves. I wonder if the same question was lobbed to Triple H if he would have responded the same way. I almost think Triple H (or Vince) woud've used the opportunity to needle Punk and his fans by noting that Punk walked out on them and, maybe more importanty, point to the emerging group of indy talents in NXT or Ambrose and Rollins as guys that have potential to be "bigger than Punk ever was" (true or not, I almost think Triple H would say something like this just to prove his point).

Do you think Triple H would've handled the question differently? Do you think Stephanie handled it wisely? Do you think CM Punk gives even a stain of a shit?