Pro Wrestling Only

The Undertaker: Now what?

So the Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak is over. Now what should they do with him?

Taker looked really old and beaten down last night. I understand he suffered a concussion during the match, so that could've been part of it, but he looked REALLY bad. The whole match I kept telling myself, "It's wrestling. When Taker ends up getting the pin over this legit monster/NCAA champion/MMA champion, just keep telling yourself, 'It's wrestling' and go with it."

Then Brock pinned him and a bad match turned into a legit Holy shit! moment.

WWE tried like hell to force a standing ovation from the audience, but people weren't buying it. Also, Undertaker seemed like a drunk old man trying to get up, remain standing, and leave the ring. I wonder if that was due to the concussion or the booking?

I think Undertaker should just retire. He looked done last night and the streak is over. What's left for him to do? Induct him into the hall of fame next year, but instead of inducting him at the Saturday night ceremony, do it during Mania so he can still do the entrance.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a report not emerge a while back that Taker wanted Daniel Bryan this year? (presumably before Lesnar/Taker was set in stone)

I'm kind of getting the feeling Taker was planning to go out this year and insisted on putting somebody over, as old tradition goes. Evidently, D Bry has done fine without the kind of massive rub ending the streak would get him.

I'm now musing on whether WWE has plans to make Lesnar the quintessential box office smash athlete they always wanted? There is no way in hell they'd have him go over Undertaker if he wasn't planning on staying around long term. Where does Lesnar go from here? Well he needs a win back from Cena, and he must do it in a decisive fashion, if they intend to keep Lesnar on a high. I'm thinking a submission victory over Cena would be just the ticket to further cementing Lesnar as a conqueror

What next for Taker? I'd like to think we haven't seen the last of him, but if the reports of his neck injury and concussion are accurate, I'd rather he never set foot in the ring for the sake of preserving his legacy and for his family.

Dave was explaining the Brockonomics on their show last night. The whole idea behind the limited dates was not that Brock wanted to work a limited schedule. It's that his asking price was so high that WWE felt it was only worth it to ask him to do a few matches a year. However, theoretically, the company now has the money to do whatever they want to do. Dave thinks Brock would be very receptive to taking on more dates if the money is there. So maybe we should expect to see more of him?

Anyway, there's no point in the Undertaker doing anything else now. He lost. It's over.

Dave was explaining the Brockonomics on their show last night. The whole idea behind the limited dates was not that Brock wanted to work a limited schedule. It's that his asking price was so high that WWE felt it was only worth it to ask him to do a few matches a year. However, theoretically, the company now has the money to do whatever they want to do. Dave thinks Brock would be very receptive to taking on more dates if the money is there. So maybe we should expect to see more of him?

I'd give Brock Lesnar whatever he wanted if I were running things, the guy is a phenomenal athlete, and more than capable of drawing continual big numbers for WWE. You could pretty much build the company around him, hell they were planning to once upon a time!

Even doing a RVD style contract of 3 months at a time, with reduced house show dates, they could really utilise Lesnar to his full potential.

I would have wished a grand surnatural post-match ceremony for Taker after his last match, instead we got a bad match in which he looked toasted and a very human-like walk up the ramp a-là Shawn Michaels. I would guess he's done, yeah. Very underwhelming way to go, but this looked like the one match too many, so in hindsight and kayfabe it kinda make sense that he lost.

I have no idea why anyone would want a Taker vs Sting match anyway. It was a dream match in 1997. 17 years ago.

They're just going to use Steve as a talking head for his career, WCW in general, and eventually the Hall of Fame. I'm fine with that

As for the question posted, I think this it. For the last 2-3 years I had a creeping suspicion we were getting closer to the end. Regardless of match quality, he couldn't have picked a better night to do it. Last night really felt like a changing of the guard, and for the streak and effectively his career to end felt appropriate to both the character and the man's character and loyalty. This also poises Brock as Bryan's next major obstacle and possibly a huge money-maker for WWE if they set it up right.

Per Meltz

Mark Calaway (Undertaker) was taken to the hospital in an ambulance after tonight's show due to fear he had suffered a concussion and a possible neck injury. As of the last word we got, he was expected to remain over night for observation.

This had no bearing on the finish, which went off exactly as planned. The injury is believed to have happened early in the match when Undertaker took a bad fall off a single leg.

While we heard a story that only a few people knew the finish, that clearly was not the case because Lesnar went from a 40-to-1 underdog to the actual favorite on several gambling sites in the last hour or so before the match, so people in the knew met and won heavily on that result.

They're just going to use Steve as a talking head for his career, WCW in general, and eventually the Hall of Fame. I'm fine with that

As for the question posted, I think this it. For the last 2-3 years I had a creeping suspicion we were getting closer to the end. Regardless of match quality, he couldn't have picked a better night to do it. Last night really felt like a changing of the guard, and for the streak and effectively his career to end felt appropriate to both the character and the man's character and loyalty. This also poises Brock as Bryan's next major obstacle and possibly a huge money-maker for WWE if they set it up right.

I would hope they find some way to slow burn Lesnar/Bryan until SummerSlam with Lesnar beating Cena somewhere between then. Would be a smart time to do it, right as everyone has to decide whether or not to renew their Network subscription. Their ability to sell a Lesnar/Bryan match is another reason I just kind of laugh at people saying the 600,000+ number is the best the Network can do and it's all downhill.

Considering the fact that they're no longer trying to sell PPVs, I'm not really sure it makes sense financially. Plus, having him wrestle more matches per year just dilutes him even more.

Considering the fact that they're no longer trying to sell PPVs, I'm not really sure it makes sense financially. Plus, having him wrestle more matches per year just dilutes him even more.

It dilutes him as a special attraction, but if they can get him enough to run as a regular than they could make it worthwhile to have Brock as a focused-on star.

I think they have to have someone retire him for the major rub. If John Cena is ever going to go heel, they should have him beat the hell out of Undertaker, cheat to win and retire him at Wrestlemania next year.

Other than that, someone like Roman Reigns could really get a lot of mileage out of being the one to retire Undertaker.

I wonder how often plans for this years Wrestlemania changed. Originally it was going to be Rock vs Brock, right? So where does that leave Taker? Still ending the streak>

I echo the same sentiments that Taker needs to retire. I watched the show last night and it was the first Mania I've seen on TV since WM 24 so I really into the show including the Brock vs Taker match. The match was flat to me and I was telling myself that Taker should not wrestle again, not knowing he would lose. At one point I fell asleep during the match only to wake up with the 21-1 sign over Taker's head. I really thought I was dreaming at that point. I wished he went out with more of a memorable moment but the streak had to end at some point.

Maybe give Taker a send off at Mania next year with a special tribute ceremony like the HOF intermission to replace a comedy skit.

Did a report not emerge a while back that Taker wanted Daniel Bryan this year? (presumably before Lesnar/Taker was set in stone)

I'm kind of getting the feeling Taker was planning to go out this year and insisted on putting somebody over, as old tradition goes. Evidently, D Bry has done fine without the kind of massive rub ending the streak would get him.

I'm now musing on whether WWE has plans to make Lesnar the quintessential box office smash athlete they always wanted? There is no way in hell they'd have him go over Undertaker if he wasn't planning on staying around long term. Where does Lesnar go from here? Well he needs a win back from Cena, and he must do it in a decisive fashion, if they intend to keep Lesnar on a high. I'm thinking a submission victory over Cena would be just the ticket to further cementing Lesnar as a conqueror

What next for Taker? I'd like to think we haven't seen the last of him, but if the reports of his neck injury and concussion are accurate, I'd rather he never set foot in the ring for the sake of preserving his legacy and for his family.

One thing that should have been on the back of people's minds that Taker would be done this year is seeing him as a talking head in the Monday Night Wars series preview for the Network. Yeah he was in the Triple H DVD, but it seems that he is getting more and more receptive to being Mark Calloway going forward, with The Dead Man being left finished looking at the lights.