Pro Wrestling Only

Commonly used words and phrases that annoy you

jdw

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though, that is a step up from "the WCW."

Too bad "the WCW" didn't had "The SummerSlam". Oh, Bret...

Oh....I forgot about The Summerslam. Makes me cringe just writing it. Bret was BY FAR the worst for that. I think he single handedly made "The WCW" semi-acceptable.

"Carny." Anyone using that sounds like a condescending ass (to be fair, they're generally going for that). What happened to that period of people on wrestling boards trying to make other people on wrestling boards feel guilty about the way they watched wrestling?

Edit: I forgot "superworker." That one's just silly to me, though, as I never got how it was different from "great worker" other than being one keystroke shorter.

Guest Eduardo James

Botch doesn't bother me, it's pretty much the same as saying an actor flubbed their line. Can't say I ever use wrestlecrap, and I guess I was never hip to the movez term because even when others were using it I would use regular old moves myself.

I don't have an issue, but as pointed above it looks weird when people say stuff like "made a botch."

Guest Eduardo James

I just remembered one that used to bother me. Hearing Nitro referred to as "Monday Night Nitro"

Does Monday Night Jericho predate that? It's weird when you realize his shirt said Monday Jericho.

I hate when people say " I could care less". It's "I couldn't care less."

"I could care less" is at least a grammatically correct term, even if it's incorrectly used 99% of the time. I could care less about New Japan right now, I haven't seen any of their shows in forever, but I still keep up with the results and the goings on. That's more than I can say about Dragon Gate, TNA, ROH, and AAA.

EVERY mainstream article on wrestling has to use the term "slams" or "bodyslams" in the headline. It was annoying when Jesse Ventura "bodyslammed" his way into the governor's office, it's a hair-pullingly excruciating cliche now. I bring this up after various articles on WWE layoffs predictably used it.

I learned insider terminology from the sheets long before the internet was a big deal. Even magazines like Wrestling Eye used some insider terms.

While I didn't use the term workrate before I started reading the sheets, I definitely knew what it meant. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see Billy Robinson had more wrestling ability than Bruiser or Crusher.

Long before I ever went on the internet I had a wrestling notebook where I would keep track of my action figures' titles & book towards the next big show (Back then it was always a Big Four Event)

You don't need someone to explain how booking works to you once you've watched wrestling for a little while. I knew what overbooking was long before I knew that term, The Undertaker never lost without pretty much every heel (or simply "bad guy") action figure interfering. I call that the Royal Rumble 94 influence.

My biggest pet peeve is probably when people use the lingo out of context. "Oh my wife cut a promo on me last night when I forgot to get eggs." "I'm a huge Star Wars mark", and so on. I've probably done it myself a time or two, but it grates.

That use of promo would drive me, but mark exists as a term outside the context of wrestling, so no problem with that one.