Pro Wrestling Only

Bobby Eaton

Grimmas

One of the greatest tag workers of all-time whether it was with Arn Anderson, Stan Lane, Dennis Condrey, or teaming with the guy I thought was his best partner in Sweet Brown Sugar (Koko Ware.)

Eaton was also a solid singles worker as well in Memphis working against guys like Dundee, Keirn, & Dutch then had some good matches in WCW in 1991 against Arn, Zenk, Terry Taylor in the TV Title mix.

I'll have him above Morton because he has much cooler offense, worked great as both the junior and senior member of the team, and was surprisingly effective as a face. And arguably had a better singles run. He also had better runs with OTHER teams: Dangerous Alliance, Blue Bloods, etc. I think Eaton has more to him than Morton all around.

• 3 weeks later...

Eaton may be the best wrestler I know with the lowest amount of personal charisma. I don't know what becomes of him if he doesn't link up with Cornette and other managers to provide a way of building a career. I can't imagine a guy with Bobby's deficits coming up today and getting major play in a larger company. From a character perspective, he comes off as an instrument of Cornette's will rather than an independent actor.

That being said, what a physical talent who could do so much, so well and with impeccable timing. A really good flyer in terms of landing with impact and force, he also had an underrated ground game with one of the most beautiful swinging neckbreakers you will ever see. The Lane version of the Midnight Express was especially ahead of its time in terms of double teams, several of which could be used as finishes today with no alteration.

I think Bobby Eaton's charisma is underrated. The guy was a great in-ring heel and is one of the best at doing flashy stuff without babyfacing himself. Charisma is important, but I really look at it as an issue of being able to get fans into your matches more than anything. He's more charismatic than someone like Finlay (outside of Europe), for example.

Eaton's in-ring timing was so good and usually so spot-on that he was able to get great reactions regardless of whether or not he had charisma in the more "traditional" sense. The way he'd take a perfectly timed, right-sized bump off of Lane for a mis-communication spot or the way he'd hit a cutoff move at the precise right time to get a big reaction were almost unparalleled, particularly by tag workers. Charisma in wrestling is more than just facial expressions, big movements, and emotion. Strong timing and smoothness, for example, are two qualities that can help a wrestler connect with a crowd and Eaton had those in spades.

One of the best right hands ever, the best swinging neckbreaker ever, a fantastic bumper, and as said above, great timing.

Watched the WrestleWar '90 tag between the Midnights and RnR and even after all those years, they figure out ways to make things work, with my favorite being Eaton coming in on a blind tag as Morton rolls up Lane to deliver the neckbreaker. Stuff like that made him stand out during that time, way more than Lane's crappy karate stuff.

Watching 1982 Memphis TVs. The biggest revelation is Eaton being a charismatic tough guy. Like.....an actual personality.

The ring work is really solid already, whether tag or singles. Hands down the best guy on the show. Ironically, second best guy around is Stan Lane who's working opening matches.

I'll have him above Morton because he has much cooler offense, worked great as both the junior and senior member of the team, and was surprisingly effective as a face. And arguably had a better singles run. He also had better runs with OTHER teams: Dangerous Alliance, Blue Bloods, etc. I think Eaton has more to him than Morton all around.

Not to give away too much of our upcoming WTBBP review, but Halloween Havoc 91 is a pretty good demonstration of why Eaton > Morton.

• 1 month later...

It would be really interesting to see how people compare Eaton and Bret Hart. Eaton looks good even in throwaway 5 minute matches in the 90s whereas Bret looks average in 10 minute throwaway matches. Bret Hart is someone you will hear being hyped as high as a top 10 guy for some people, when I don't think he comes close to Eaton and you don't see him being touted as a top 10 guy.

Eh, I don't have Bret as a Top 10 guy, but he's got a greater selection of high-end (for the WWE) singles matches than Bobby does. Bobby destroys him in tags, of course, but I'd say Bret's matches with Owen and Austin, to pick two of the most obvious, are more disparate than any of Eaton's best tag matches. And then you have Bret being a bigger star, and singles matches often count better with people than tags do (rightly or wrongly).

• 1 year later...