Pro Wrestling Only

PWO-PTBN Roundtable: WWE.com's Top 50 Heels in Wrestling History - Part 1

http://placetobenation.com/pwo-ptbn-roundtable-wwe-coms-top-50-heels-in-wrestling-history-part-1/

avatars-000100292376-b985w1-t500x500.jpg

Inspired by the Squared Circle Gazette Radio's recent show on the same topic, Parv (Titans of Wrestling, Where the Big Boys Play), Will (Good Will Wrestling, Wrestling with the Past), Johnny (Titans of Wrestling), and Steven Graham (Pro Wrestling Super Show) converge for this epic one-off roundtable to provide an alternative take on WWE.com's Top 50 Heels in Wrestling History. In this first part, they run through 50 down to 21. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.

50. Batista

49. Randy Savage

48. Vickie Guerrero

47. Mark Henry

46. The Iron Sheik

45. Andre The Giant

44. Eric Bischoff

43. Eddie Guerrero

42. Brock Lesnar

41. Kane

40. Don Muraco

39. The Dudley Boyz

38. CM Punk

37. Ernie Ladd

36. Ivan Koloff

35. Paul Heyman

34. Abdullah The Butcher

33. Terry Funk

32. Randy Orton

31. Kevin Sullivan

30. Jerry Lawler

29. Raven

28. The Fabulous Moolah

27. Paul Orndorff

26. Nick Bockwinkel

25. Vader

24. Harley Race

23. Sgt. Slaughter

22. The Undertaker

21. Freddie Blassie

Almost finished Part 1 - two quick notes:

- Bravo to Parv to no-sell that stinky bait Will was fishing with around Dory

- The heel run Johnny was talking about with the Undertaker was post invasion and through the summer of 2002. This included matches with RVD, The Rock, Hogan (title change) and most notably Ric Flair at Mania x8. He was an excellent heel there and I think this coupled in with his role in the corporate ministry during the attitude era is what got him on the list. Not saying all together this is top 50 worthy, but guessing that's why they included him.

- The heel run Johnny was talking about with the Undertaker was post invasion and through the summer of 2002. This included matches with RVD, The Rock, Hogan (title change) and most notably Ric Flair at Mania x8. He was an excellent heel there and I think this coupled in with his role in the corporate ministry during the attitude era is what got him on the list. Not saying all together this is top 50 worthy, but guessing that's why they included him.

Dory blows. Parv no sold it because he didn't have a proper answer.

As for the Taker heel run.. .what a pile of garbage. The Hogan match was horrible. The RVD matches were fun with RVD bouncing around and flying from rafters. I don't recall any good Rock-Taker matches and the Flair match was way over-rated back when it happened and it didn't hold up last time I saw it. Felt like overbooked garbage. I think they included him because Taker is their icon. He is on every single list they do.

r.

As for the Taker heel run.. .what a pile of garbage.

Wrong. You stink. :lol:

Maybe I'm an outlier but I enjoyed Taker/Flair when I rewatched it this summer. Flair did his part given his limitations, bled like a champ and we even arguably the last non-throwaway Arn moment. I was pleasantly surprised. Not a classic or anything anyone should hang their hat on, but not something I'd fast forward through either.

Dory blows. Parv no sold it because he didn't have a proper answer.

As for the Taker heel run.. .what a pile of garbage. The Hogan match was horrible. The RVD matches were fun with RVD bouncing around and flying from rafters. I don't recall any good Rock-Taker matches and the Flair match was way over-rated back when it happened and it didn't hold up last time I saw it. Felt like overbooked garbage. I think they included him because Taker is their icon. He is on every single list they do.

I also want to say since coming back in 2004, while officially a baby face, he always straddled that "chaotic neutral" label to borrow from RPGs. So that's probably added to the mix, that he may be a face, but he still went after fellow faces when warranted (usually for title shots and title matches and generally his opponent would take on a heelish role (see Shawn Michaels in the lead up to the WM XXVI match), and even went after refs. So he kind of was in his own little bubble as neither a heel, nor a true baby face.

Great show! Really enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait for part two.

I do have to agree that some of those names don't belong anywhere near this list (Kane most notably) and while Eddie was a great heel, I can see Steven's point of thinking of him as a babyface first. However, as with Savage, I think both he and Eddie crossed over into that "so good they're beloved" areas where it became very hard to think of them as heels.

BikerTaker was a great idea to freshen up the character, and while it was overbooked, what wasn't at that time? I think it's the phase in Taker's character that really allowed him to grow as an in-ring talent and got him beyond that "punch, kick, choke" style that had dominated the early years of his career. Plus, once the gimmick was done, he was able to return as the "Deadman" and cement his "we'll-cheer-him-no-matter-what" legend status.