Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling

goodhelmet

It would be a bit like Dick Cheney admitting that they lied us into Iraq. It's not a surprise, nor a surprise to hear it.

None of the medical stuff surprised me (it was just messed up to hear him explain it)...EXCEPT for the MRSA. Amann left him with potentially fatal and highly contagious (ESPECIALLY in wrestling) infection that could have taken down the whole crew, and given that WWE has historically had no problem with taking care of staph infections in the most quick and disgustingly dirty way possible (as explained by Punk), why the hell didn't he take care of it?

Also, listening to the MRSA stuff I got the feeling the settlement might have restricted the wording he could use. I was kind of surprised he didn't deadpan anything like "Yes, WWE almost killed me."

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also possible that since it's a pro wrestler talking, there are parts of the story that are pretty bullshit. Granted, since a lot of the people that listen to it are fans of Punk, it will get accepted as truth. Plus it's not like WWE is going to respond to it, so Punk was first (and only) person to the market with the story.

He doesn't sound as critical about the medical stuff as he could've been

If what he says is true. Punk received the fucking worst healthcare treatment I can imagine.

He doesn't explicitly tie stuff together that really should've been cos I didn't cop on to how horrible it all was until like an hour after I listened

-Gets concussion

-Passes concussion test

-Throws up every night after matches (because he's concussed)

-Gets put on antibiotics

-Gets MRSA (which he's more succeptable to because he's on antibiotics)

-Doctor fails to diagnose him and gives him more antibiotics

Nothing completely earth shattering, except maybe that he was suspended and then fired rather than "walked out".

I think it goes to show that when you handle your shit smartly and don't run to every outlet imaginable, there's a good chance that not everyone will know what is going on, not even us internet wrestling nerds who like to imagine we gave a direct line to backstage news/gossip.

Sad that he seems to hate wrestling as a whole, rather than just WWE itself. Punk is a guy who put out a lot of what I like in my wrestling and I'd be happy if he decide to wrestle more. That being said, I definitely see the attraction of training jits every day and not putting up with a hectic travel schedule combined with bs.

As for the bs, if 1/4 of what he says is true/remotely accurate, then that's just sad. Probably the final nail in the coffin of my "they must have a plan, even if they're not great at executing it" point of view. If Vince actually thinks the UFC is barbaric....good lord. Might be time to start seriously considering what wrestling might be like without WWE around because it might be in more danger than we thought.

All in all, Punk sounds like he's happy and relieved (and wealthy) to move on with his life. He also sounds more like a real person than a lot of ex wrestling celebrities fo.

All in all, Punk sounds like he's happy and relieved (and wealthy) to move on with his life. He also sounds more like a real person than a lot of ex wrestling celebrities fo.

He sounds EXACTLY like a lot a ex-wrestling celebrities do. Good on him for getting out if that staph/concussion stuff is true (and I have no reason not to believe him on that) and I hope he gets as much money as possible from that doctor/company for that nonsense. As far as how he was used, he said pretty much everything an angry ex-wrestler does. He should have main evented [x show], that he was a bigger draw than the numbers actually say, he was just trying to help out "the boys" by doing/complaining about [x], he really put [x talent] over instead of [y talent].

I'm actually shocked that anyone could watch CM Punk's video or listen to pieces of this interview and not think he would be pretty much impossible to work with.

Also, he's a grown man and a millionaire. Surely he's capable of determining whether or not he's physically capable of wrestling and seeking medical treatment as needed?

Didn't you say if we didn't enjoy HIAC we shouldn't watch wrestling? You're a troll.

Also, Punk being misdiagnosed is awful, no matter how you spin it

The accusation that the doctor was 'just lazy' rather than actively conspiring to keep him wrestling rather than healthy seems like the weirdest claim in this.

Especially considering that he also said that he had seen this doctor cut out "a million" growths. So he wasn't lazy when it came to everyone else but he was when it came to Punk?

It would be a bit like Dick Cheney admitting that they lied us into Iraq. It's not a surprise, nor a surprise to hear it.

People shouldn't be surprised by any of this. Just thankful to Punk for confirming it in a colorful fashion. And in turn for people who aren't Punk marks for generally confirming what they think about Punk.

I'm neither a mark nor a hater of his, so perhaps am a bit more objective to the two extremes when listing to this. My take on listening to what I've been able to (around the holidays) is generally:

"No shit."

Not really mind blowing.

I think the only truly enlightening thing is the Wrestling Fanboy turned Aspiring Wrestler turned Big Time Wrestler turned Hater Of Wrestling life arch/path. Podcast isn't a great place to fully craft that narrative as opposed to touch on it or have it be an underlying theme that pops up from time to time. It's really something that I'd like to see him develop and explore in a book, especially if he's as insightful and self reflective as his biggest fans believe. Though... since they happen to still be wrestling fans, I'm not sure if it's the central theme they want to have anchor his bio, even if it is the arch of his life.

I haven't listened to a minute of this yet because I just got back from being with the family all day so I'm still relying on recaps I've read, but this touches on most of my thoughts. None of this reads all that surprising but to have it laid out in this fashion makes it a lot more colorful and visual while placing it in context with specific examples and situations people can relate to. I don't know Punk. From what I've read over the years he doesn't sound like the nicest guy unless you're part of his inner circle or a model employee in that he makes things difficult. And that's okay. Its his job to maximize his time and talents as he sees fit. If he wants to run and try to eclipse Cena and have his Mania main event that's awesome. If he wants to take his ball and go home that's his prerogative as well.

Similarly, Vince and HHH don't necessarily sound like people I'd want to work for. And that's also all well and good. They don't owe Punk anything beyond what is specifically provided for in his contract, and if they try to hold back on that he'll plenty of basis to enforce it. They don't have to like him or push him if they don't want to whether its for legitimate business or personal reasons. He's not owed a damn thing in that regard. My only complaint there is if I were a stockholder who was concerned that their use of that asset was not in the company's best interests.

My opinion on this may change -- drastically -- once I listen, but my initial thoughts were that the wedding day termination was overblown a bit. Was the relationship between Punk & WWE at that point such that either side was looking towards turning a new page and rebuilding things? It sounded like this was more expediting a known conclusion. It happened, and then the lawyers got involved to make sure the dollars and cents matched what was provided for had the relationship terminated naturally. Again, if after listening it comes off as a whole lot more bitter and vindictive than I'll gladly acknowledge that. Its light years away from the potential medical issues raised on the podcast, which if they become a bigger story would likely force WWE's hand in ways little or large, TBD.

The only caveat to how WWE handled this is its impact on current and future talent. Perhaps this will color how other wrestlers view the company and their choices while negotiating and performing. That could result in enough talent leaving to provide some other promotion a couple marketable stars to build upon. It could result in a dearth of talent within WWE. It could result in talent obtaining greater autonomy over how and when they perform, how they handle outside business interests, their health and a host of other issues. It could also result in absolutely nothing. Those are the issues WWE needs to consider as part of the big picture when managing their business. Just as CM Punk needs to consider the business of CM Punk. I absolutely get how this gets personal given the relationships involved and the context in how it plays out. But its business. Sometimes it sucks and we've all probably got stories to that effect, either personally or from someone we know.

For the record if I quit for being fragile and insecure I would make up excuses too. Things didn't go my way for a long time and I kept going day in and out. Slander is a powerful thing and to state complete made up nonsense for no reason shows his insecurities. I will continue to bust my ass study matches every chance I get, cut promos when driving and push myself for hours on end even when hurt. Thank you.

Remember when Lance Cade blasted Bobby Lashley on WWE.com for taking time off for shoulder surgery? Remember which one is still alive?

I transferred the youtube video to mp3 & listened to this this afternoon after lunch, this is great great stuff, Im happy a top guy is finally burying those heartless gutless bastards. I hope heads roll over this legit ''pipe bomb'' LOL, in all fairness tho if he had a staph infection for 3 months Im pretty sure he wouldn't be living today, just sayin, I love me some CM Fucking Punk

Nothing completely earth shattering, except maybe that he was suspended and then fired rather than "walked out".

I think it goes to show that when you handle your shit smartly and don't run to every outlet imaginable, there's a good chance that not everyone will know what is going on, not even us internet wrestling nerds who like to imagine we gave a direct line to backstage news/gossip.

Sad that he seems to hate wrestling as a whole, rather than just WWE itself. Punk is a guy who put out a lot of what I like in my wrestling and I'd be happy if he decide to wrestle more. That being said, I definitely see the attraction of training jits every day and not putting up with a hectic travel schedule combined with bs.

As for the bs, if 1/4 of what he says is true/remotely accurate, then that's just sad. Probably the final nail in the coffin of my "they must have a plan, even if they're not great at executing it" point of view. If Vince actually thinks the UFC is barbaric....good lord. Might be time to start seriously considering what wrestling might be like without WWE around because it might be in more danger than we thought.

That's the impression I"m getting- that as long as Vince isn't ruled mentally incompetent Donald Sterling-style, the WWE will continue to decline. I think the Network and how it's struggled is just the start- great idea, but killed the PPV revenue.

Also, continuing to stiff the talent and treat it the way it is will mean fewer talented folks go that route. I think it's possible pro wrestling outright dies in the US now, and may even be the canary for other things. If NJPW/AAA/indies provide similar opportunities- I could see folks preferring that route, and given the peanuts WWE pays low-carders, I could see certain non-essential folks leaving. Would be folks below Cesaro on the totem pole.

As for Punk- was never a believer in his "best in the world" stuff, he was just good, so I don't really miss him wrestling. I do wish him good luck and happiness with AJ, and I hope he succeeds outside of wrestling, and I'm glad he invested well. I'd like to see Punk do an investment show.

WWE is contracted to receive something like $220 million in TV revenue in 2018. Mania probably already did around $8 million in ticket sales 5 months out. The Rumble sold out in minutes. This interview has everyone whipped into a frenzy, but wrestling in the US is very stable. The idea that WWE is vulnerable to threats from NJPW or AAA - I mean, NJPW's annual revenue is around $25 million, WWE is closer to $500 million. Everyone feels so bad for Punk, but the dude was a headliner for 2.5 years, didn't really move business much, and made enough money to walk away forever, that's virtualy unprecedented in wrestling.

Meltzer has always said that there was only a very brief time that he was ahead of Cena in merch sales, and otherwise Cena always lapped the field. I question his credibility on that one.

But I wasn't even saying that as a knock on Punk. I'm just saying that WWE is so successful that a guy can retire after 2.5 years on top without even being a big draw like an Austin or Goldberg.

Meltzer has always said that there was only a very brief time that he was ahead of Cena in merch sales, and otherwise Cena always lapped the field. I question his credibility on that one.

But I wasn't even saying that as a knock on Punk. I'm just saying that WWE is so successful that a guy can retire after 2.5 years on top without even being a big draw like an Austin or Goldberg.

It's the Benoit Effect. Anytime something remotely controversial occurs, people speculate if this will be the thing to take the company down. If the Benoit incident didn't kill the company, I don't think any public relations disaster will in the foreseeable future.

And the merchandise thing is how carnies work. Did he pass Cena? Yes. The question of how long and by how much wasn't brought up so people can't say he's lying.

I found myself rolling my eyes when he spoke of the sponsored ring gear deal. Sure, it would have resulted in more money for guys: but I never want to see the day when costumes become advertising space. We all know the story with Brock so comparisons shouldn't be made.

But on the whole I found it fun to listen to, the guy is effortlessly easy to sit back and sip a coffee to.