Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryback responds in words

For the record if I quit for being fragile and insecure I would make up excuses too. Things didn’t go my way for a long time and I kept going day in and out. Slander is a powerful thing and to state complete made up nonsense for no reason shows his insecurities. I will continue to bust my ass study matches every chance I get, cut promos when driving and push myself for hours on end even when hurt. Thank you”

I found myself rolling my eyes when he spoke of the sponsored ring gear deal. Sure, it would have resulted in more money for guys: but I never want to see the day when costumes become advertising space. We all know the story with Brock so comparisons shouldn't be made.

He contradicted himself here as he noted Brock's WWE deal was negotiated with the understanding Brock already had those endorsement contracts in place. The WWE's hands were tied there.

I found myself rolling my eyes when he spoke of the sponsored ring gear deal. Sure, it would have resulted in more money for guys: but I never want to see the day when costumes become advertising space. We all know the story with Brock so comparisons shouldn't be made.

He contradicted himself here as he noted Brock's WWE deal was negotiated with the understanding Brock already had those endorsement contracts in place. The WWE's hands were tied there.

Only because Brock tied them. They weren't forced by the sponsors to let their logos be shown. Brock was just in a good enough position to say he wears the logos, WWE pays out the contract or he doesn't wrestle for them.

For the record if I quit for being fragile and insecure I would make up excuses too. Things didn't go my way for a long time and I kept going day in and out. Slander is a powerful thing and to state complete made up nonsense for no reason shows his insecurities. I will continue to bust my ass study matches every chance I get, cut promos when driving and push myself for hours on end even when hurt. Thank you.

Remember when Lance Cade blasted Bobby Lashley on WWE.com for taking time off for shoulder surgery? Remember which one is still alive?

I think people are misreading the fragile comment. I took it as a reference to Punk's ego, not his physical being. In that respect he's not wrong, because even the most die hard Punk fan shouldn't be able to deny that he has a very fragile ego.

Awesome podcast, good hosting by Cabana too. I don't think anybody else at this juncture would be capable of having a decent straight up interview about the subject of Punk leaving with the man himself, without offending Punk or taking it too far. Cabana, being close friends with Punk was the ideal person to conduct such an interview. That being said, here are my takeaways from it:

- WWE's schedule, expectations, and physicality are unforgiving unless you are an "enhanced" talent with superior recovery abilities. Punk got pretty fucked up with injuries, and was rushing his way back into the ring at the behest of Vince and others. His lifestyle means he abstains from most prescription drugs, outside of antibiotics and anaesthetics. We've seen pictures of him rehabbing with stuff like acupuncture in the past!

- Ryback is a dangerous worker, who doesn't seem to learn from errors.

- Triple H doesn't like Punk and probably resented Punk's open line to Vince, and that he would go directly to Vince and speak his mind, vetoing Triple H and Stephanie in the chain of command (if you like). Punk, like everybody else, feels that the loss to Triple H at Night of Champions 2011 destroyed his momentum.

- Punk has made more than enough money to never have to work or worry about anything again. Consider this, and then realize that the likes of John Cena and Triple H are far wealthier, have nothing else to achieve legacy wise, yet continue to wrestle - full time in Cena's case. It seems Triple H only went part time for the sake of his kids. It's definitely not about the money in WWE.

- One of WWE's physicians is apparently incompetent. This isn't news, they've already had scandals with the physicians in the past.

- Most of his dissatisfaction with booking issues seems to stem from the fact he busted his ass, but was denied the Wrestlemania main event on two occasions (XXIX and XXX - Rock/Cena was a lock for nearly a year, before Punk broke out).

- Punk claims to be done with wrestling, this probably won't last, it isn't about money, most guys simply struggle to walk away from their craft (wrestling, in this case) and make an inevitable return at some point. TNA will probably never be able to afford Punk's price tag, and the exposure is meaningless for him, they have everything to gain basically, whilst he has nohting, I could see him perhaps wrestling for NJPW in some capacity (a'la Lesnar in 2005-2007). I can accept the possibility of him never working with WWE again though.

- I get the impression he'd be inclined to work a big drawing exhibition MMA match as a one-off in the near future, as it's one of his passions outside of wrestling and it's really now or never to pursue it, given his age and battering he received from the road in WWE.

- Long term, he's probably going to fall into reality TV, acting, comedy, etc, if he doesn't return to wrestling.

Awesome podcast, good hosting by Cabana too. I don't think anybody else at this juncture would be capable of having a decent straight up interview about the subject of Punk leaving with the man himself, without offending Punk or taking it too far. Cabana, being close friends with Punk was the ideal person to conduct such an interview. That being said, here are my takeaways from it.

Actually, my only complaint about the whole thing was that Cabana didn't do a little more to keep him focused. I like Cabana a lot and agree that no one else could have scored the interview at this point. So more power to him. I just thought the whole thing could've had even more punch if he'd interjected with a few guiding questions. I listened to Maron's older interview with Punk after listening to Cabana, and he did an excellent job of that. Different kind of interview with a different audience, obviously, but I'm fascinated with interviewing as a skill, so ... OK, I'll stop rambling.

I don't know, I think the unfocused points where Punk would steer off into different directions was OK as it didn't feel as though he was leaving important details out anywhere. It really was like he had been holding his breathe all that time and he frantically needed to get things off his chest. I've listened to it twice now, and Colt really does just sit back on this: which was the right thing to do I think.

Colt didn't really play any factor at all in this, positively or negatively. It was essentially Cabana presents the CM Punk Show.

For the record if I quit for being fragile and insecure I would make up excuses too. Things didn't go my way for a long time and I kept going day in and out. Slander is a powerful thing and to state complete made up nonsense for no reason shows his insecurities. I will continue to bust my ass study matches every chance I get, cut promos when driving and push myself for hours on end even when hurt. Thank you.

Remember when Lance Cade blasted Bobby Lashley on WWE.com for taking time off for shoulder surgery? Remember which one is still alive?

I think people are misreading the fragile comment. I took it as a reference to Punk's ego, not his physical being. In that respect he's not wrong, because even the most die hard Punk fan shouldn't be able to deny that he has a very fragile ego.

He said he'll push himself hours on end even when hurt. I just don't think he should be so gung-ho about such things considering he may be in Punk's situation one day except without the millions to fall back on. Taking time off shouldn't be something talent fears or disparages.