Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2015 Thread

Fantastic

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

claiming that Cena's offense consisted of only the AA in a match where he did a powerbomb and a Michinoku Driver is a surefire way to get me to immediately dismiss everything else that you say.

Weird overreaction. I saw a lot of AAs and not a lot else.

After seeing last night Jerry can we safely take you out of the Vince is still a genius camp? lol

Do we know that Vince is booking this?

It doesn't seem like it to me at all. Because through all his years as a promoter, one thing you can say about Vince is that he never tried to get cutesy.

The booking of the Rumble match was truly baffling to me, to a point where I it's hard to believe Vince was directly involved with it. If he was responsible for laying out that match, or even the bullet points

- Build Bray early

- Bryan enters when Bray is there

- Bryan gets eliminated almost incidentally

- Bray gets eliminated almost incidentally

- Blah blah

- Kane

- Blah

- Big Show

- Blah

- Rusev

- Blah

- Roman

- Rock

If Vince thought that was a good idea, and man-managed it himself, then yes he's lost it totally.

If they were determined to do the Roman Reigns push, the smart idea would have been to tell Daniel Bryan to keep it quiet that he could return and leave him as Plan B if the Royal Rumble didn't work out. Instead they essentially set themselves up for what happened last night by bringing him back and having him look like a chump in the Rumble.

If you had the big Roman Reigns backlash last night without Bryan's return then you can at least counter that the next night on Raw with a surprise Daniel Bryan return. Now they have absolutely nothing in the bag to pull out and turn this around.

claiming that Cena's offense consisted of only the AA in a match where he did a powerbomb and a Michinoku Driver is a surefire way to get me to immediately dismiss everything else that you say.

Weird overreaction. I saw a lot of AAs and not a lot else.

After seeing last night Jerry can we safely take you out of the Vince is still a genius camp? lol

Do we know that Vince is booking this?

It doesn't seem like it to me at all. Because through all his years as a promoter, one thing you can say about Vince is that he never tried to get cutesy.

The booking of the Rumble match was truly baffling to me, to a point where I it's hard to believe Vince was directly involved with it. If he was responsible for laying out that match, or even the bullet points

- Build Bray early

- Bryan enters when Bray is there

- Bryan gets eliminated almost incidentally

- Bray gets eliminated almost incidentally

- Blah blah

- Kane

- Blah

- Big Show

- Blah

- Rusev

- Blah

- Roman

- Rock

If Vince thought that was a good idea, and man-managed it himself, then yes he's lost it totally.

RE: cena stuff, as others have said it's just the house style and not a cena thing. kinda like how you can't single out anyone in new japan for those crappy strike exchanges.

as for the rest...

like i said before, reigns is 100% vince's guy. i imagine he definitely had a strong hand in this at least.

and there IS definitely precedent in vince's booking for this sort of thing: HHH's title reign in 2003. nobody wanted to see him as champ during that time, so they proceeded to job out & bury a succession of babyfaces who organically connected with the crowd (e.g. booker t, RVD). and with booker they even did a racism angle as part of the mania buildup, only to have the racist decisively win in the end. i'd say that counts as "cutesy", no?

and katie vick, the angle that forever ended my every-week viewing of pro wrestling, was pure vince down to the sense of humor.

oh yeah and when business was declining during all this, vince blamed the fans for not getting behind HHH! sound familiar?

face it parv, vince has been like this for a decade+ now...

So the Philadelphia that's the odd renegade city with the unrepresentative fans. That's the same Philadelphia they are reportedly strongly considering for WrestleMania in 2017?

I don't know that location even matters for Wrestlemania at this point. It's always going to be the most dedicated, hardcore fans at WM. This "problem" isn't going to go away for them just by moving to different cities.

Then. Well. I have no words. Yeah, Buh-buh was a nice surprise entrance, like DDP was. But then. Well, what can I add that hasn't been said. I dind't think they could be that dumb. But they are. The crowd non-stop booing is one of the most amazing thing I've seen on a wrestling show. The pop the "feel-good" entrance weren't half as strong as expected, and died immediately. Then when it couldn't get worse, the Big Show and freaking KANE in the final four. I dreaded Orton showing up, but this was even worse. And Rusev hiding out to be eliminated like nothing afterward ? Well. Poor Roman Reigns. When THE ROCK can't save the mess, you're in deep shit. These people are dumb as fuck.

They're beyond dumb as fuck. I mean look at some of this:

• Bubba goes off to TNA, becomes a legitimate main-eventer. Comes back and goes right back to his old shtick.
  • No Flair/HBK/Punk longevity builds
  • You start your Rumble off with Miz and Truth. Way to kick the match off and get the crowd pumped.
  • ZERO rivalries were created tonight. ZERO. Just think about that.
  • Could've used Big E to catch Kofi and keep him in the match given Big E is legitimately strong as an ox...but no. Instead you use the Rosebuds only to turn around and waste the catch in less than what...15 seconds?
  • Bring the Wyatt Family back together because strength in numbers? Too easy and we're not going to give the fans a bone.
  • Ziggler, Ryback, and Rowan. You ran a whole month of storyline on them getting fucked, then coming back, then having to fight to get in....only to piss all over that effort.
  • And Reigns....holy fuck...Reigns needed help from The Rock - a part time guy who hasn't been wrestled since WM 29 - to beat back Big Show and Kane, two guys in their 40s, only to have Reigns toss Rusev out like he was nothing moments later.

I'm not even touching Bryan because nothing really needs be said about that colossal fuck-up that Philly didn't say for us.

If I had so much invested in this I'd be pissed beyond compare but the schadenfreude here is just too good to pass up.

They're beyond dumb as fuck. I mean look at some of this:

• Bubba goes off to TNA, becomes a legitimate main-eventer. Comes back and goes right back to his old shtick.

This is one complaint--also made by Dave--that I don't get. Bubba was there for an ECW nostalgia moment. Whatever he did with TNA had shit to do with it. I'm all for ripping WWE right now, but I don't blame them a bit for treating TNA like a pimple on the ass.

I brought this up on Twitter, but if they were dead set on Reigns winning, there was nothing to gain by even having Bryan in the match. I didn't know Bryan was ready to come back before he announced he was entering the Rumble. Did you? I wouldn't have complained about him not being in it if they hadn't told me he was ready to go. Reigns winning wouldn't have worked either way, but if Bryan wasn't there, at least you wouldn't know you were being denied the obvious superior option. Loss is right. The only only function Bryan's entry into the Rumble served was to bury their most over act out of spite to the audience.

I brought this up on Twitter, but if they were dead set on Reigns winning, there was nothing to gain by even having Bryan in the match. I didn't know Bryan was ready to come back before he announced he was entering the Rumble. Did you? I wouldn't have complained about him not being in it if they hadn't told me he was ready to go. Reigns winning wouldn't have worked either way, but if Bryan wasn't there, at least you wouldn't know you were being denied the obvious superior option. Loss is right. The only only function Bryan's entry into the Rumble served was to bury their most over act out of spite to the audience.

Worse still, they knew Bryan coming back would be a big deal to fans and treated it as a significant storyline in the run-up. And then they casually dusted him. That added greatly to the sense of spite booking.

They also pushed Reigns in such a cowardly fashion--trying to get Bryan out of his way, hiding him during the match and then sending the Rock out to mitigate the shitstorm. If that's your guy, at least have the courage of your convictions.

They made this all worse than it needed to be with their half-in horseshit.

What I will say RE: Cena critique,

I used to hate Cena's matches, I still dislike the gimmick, but he's really fucking matured into a great big match wrestler. He brings it (more than The Rock did in his 2011 return), takes a hell of a lot of punishment working a brawling ace style reminiscent of 1990's AJPW (although heavily corrupted by the WWE tropes like the comebacks, etc, it's still on point). Cena's matches have amazing heat, and on the rare occasions that WWE book him to lose cleanly, it carries a lot of gravitas and Cena does (what he is allowed to do) to make it look like his opponent got over big (Bryan, Lesnar, etc).

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if they toned down the invincible hero stuff, let him be more the wrestler he's dying to be, and keep him outside of the title picture, he'll probably never have to turn heel to freshen up.

Cena's been a great big match wrestler for about 8 years.

Maybe so, I just didn't see it until 2011 when he really seemed to come into his own. The match with Punk at MITB 11 was where it started for me I guess. People might say that "oh well, it was all Punk", but I really class that as a 50/50 effort and Cena was great in it. We saw shades of the great wrestler Cena can be in his work with Umaga, but for me, it didn't take off until 2011.

Man, WWE had Bryan vs. Brock right fucking there. Now even if they scramble and begrudgingly put Bryan in the top spot, chances are it wont be nearly as fun as what could have been. Ugh.

They couldn't wait one year with Reigns? Why the rush? Give Bryan is actually run and then next year give it to Reigns. He's young and has room to grow, SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!

Man, WWE had Bryan vs. Brock right fucking there. Now even if they scramble and begrudgingly put Bryan in the top spot, chances are it wont be nearly as fun as what could have been. Ugh.

Meltzer reported that it was discussed and Vince said we can't go to that well again.

Cena's been a great big match wrestler for about 8 years.

Longer actually. The way he reacted to the crowd and played to the gallery against RVD at One Night Stand in the rabid Hammerstein environment was absolutely fantastic. Even in 2005 he was pulling off bloody, violent brawls with JBL.

I will never seek out a John Cena DVD set or be excited for his matches, but he is clearly incredibly adept at the style they like and usually turns it on for the big occasions.