Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Fast Lane... Live as it happens

goodhelmet

It was mentioned on the thread earlier and it's really irritated me for a long time, but IF Cena continues to call moves loudly and without covering his mouth and IF no-one in WWE has the balls to confront him about it could they please shoot his matches differently?

Just keep the hell away from him!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was mentioned on the thread earlier and it's really irritated me for a long time, but IF Cena continues to call moves loudly and without covering his mouth and IF no-one in WWE has the balls to confront him about it could they please shoot his matches differently?

There was actually a lot of audible spot calling on this show, it wasn't just Cena. Maybe it was the dead crowd, maybe it was the way they mic'd things, maybe the acoustics of the arena.....but it was happening in every match

So where do we go from here?

WWE needs some damage control measures, because it's highly unlikely Reigns going over at Wrestlemania is going to (a) sit well with the majority of the audience and (b)Take him to the next level. Simply put, Brock has had over a year of one of the biggest and strongest builds WWE have ever designed. He has gone over virtually every upper echelon star (Cena, Triple H) multiple times, ended the longest running streak in professional wrestling history and has significantly enhanced the value of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

By defeating Lesnar to win the title, that individual will be the recipient of perhaps the biggest concievable rub in modern WWE history. Think about it, they are going over the reigning WWE World Heavyweight Champion, a man of legitimacy who has succeeded in almost everything he's ever sought out to achieve. He holds the distinction of being the only person who has been the focal point of both the number one professional wrestling and MMA companies in the world. They are also receiving the distinction of ending a two year undefeated run, and the person that Vince McMahon decided would end the streak (think of EVERYBODY passed over in this distinction - both those considered to face Taker at Mania, and those who actually did - who were credible enough and could have greatly benefited from defeating Taker: Orton, Hart, Angle, Michaels, Punk, Austin, Foley, Triple H, etc).

To summarise, the person who does defeat Lesnar for the title, has got to be the future of the company, there simply cannot be any doubt. And that doubt is a very real concern with Reigns. If Reigns bombs, everything they've done will be for nothing. It's very unlikely they will be able to replicate a similar build they've made with Lesnar to give somebody else a rub like this. So with that in mind, I honestly don't see how Reigns is going over at Wrestlemania.

There was actually a lot of audible spot calling on this show, it wasn't just Cena. Maybe it was the dead crowd, maybe it was the way they mic'd things, maybe the acoustics of the arena.....but it was happening in every match

Fair enough. But it always happens with Cena.

The part that concerns me is if it gets out that Brock has re-signed before Mania and Vince thinks it's apropos for Reigns to go over to swerve everyone.

Vindictive vindication: It's the Vince McMahon way.

Which is stupid, because everything gets out these days in some form or another anyway. I'm hoping Triple H will act as a voice of reason if this indeed happens to be the case. Hunter and Stephanie have repeatedly acknowledged the current generation and the fact that "kayfabe is dead". I do reckon they'll manage to keep it secret, or at least uncertain. They managed to do so with Punk, it was obvious he had re-signed because he wouldn't have been given that title shot at MITB otherwise, but there was no formal public announcement or leak of it of any kind.

I feel like WWE needs to keep Brock around.....and I don't know if the new UFC drug testing reaction to Jones and Silva will play into his interest in going back to MMA or not, but it might....and I just can't see Reigns beating Brock right now and the audience buying it.....but if Brock is staying and they put him over......Reigns is fucked....and they clearly aren't trying to kill Roman's career. I would think if they thought Brock would be around after WM that having Bryan win and then lose in a valiant fight to Brock while Roman regroups himself would be the way to go. But, of course, WWE's booking has been all over the place and big picture wise terrible for the last few years........so I wouldn't trust them to get any of that right anyway

It's interesting how Rusev-Cena gets called great when the last few minutes were the only part worth taking notice of. I wonder if any of the people that did so also criticised Meltzer for giving Hirooki Goto matches ****.

It is more interesting that you only found that last few minutes great when they established a great story with heated exchanges from the outset. I loved Rusev suffocating Cena and never letting the match get away from him. Cena had to resort to wild swings and awesome double leg takedowns. It was just Cena's indefatigable resolve to win that kept him in it. Just when that willpower looked to win Rusev had the answer with a ballshot. It was an incredible dramatic and heated contest between two combatants struggling to win a match and were invested in its outcome that established a story early based on their strengths, never wavered and delivered a great finish. That's great wrestling to me beginning middle and end

* I think I'm the only person who liked the Goldust/Stardust match. To me, it told a really clear, emotional story. Goldust was apprehensive with every strike, hesitating, only going on offense to knock sense into his brother. To me, this is how you work a Brother/Brother match where one guy doesn't want to even fight. I like that approach way better than the opposite, when you have two brothers wrestle like they're bitter enemies or, worse yet, total strangers with no emotional connection. It is easy to get the brother vs. brother storyline over in promos and backstage segments, but Goldust represented it in his in-ring actions so well...and I thought Cody did too. The fluke pin finish made sense too - Goldust has always been the better, smarter wrestler throughout their run as a team and he outsmarted his brother, defeating him without getting vicious (which was the opposite of what Stardust attempted as he constantly tried to hurt his brother, embarass him, or cheapshot him, rather than trying to outwrestle or defeat him respectfully). Throw in the best Stardust promo he's ever delivered, one that did a better job of defining his new heel character than anything he did as a face or tweener in the past 6 months, and I'm more excited about where this storyline is going than just about anything else on the Mania card.

* Overall, I thought the show delivered on its promise of being a two-match card, but didn't do enough to surpass it. The HHH/Sting segment did nothing for me. Three months after Sting's arrival and I'm still not sure what his motivation is. What is his issue with HHH? Why should I care? What is at stake? Its not like HHH was destroying Sting's legacy prior to Survivor Series...or after it! As a viewer, I'd like the WWE writers to sink their teeth into this clash of personalities and characters and tell us an epic story of historic jealousies, distrust, and hubris, of HHH's maniacal drive to eradicate Sting (maybe for his mentor Flair? maybe for his mentor Vince? maybe just for himself?)...but that hasn't been expressed nearly enough for me yet.

* Thought the tag match was good, but, as others have pointed out, there was no drama to the match because Cesaro and Kidd are barely a real team. As a viewer, they come across as two regular, singles guys paired up by "invisible bookers" rather than two characters with shared personality traits that have bonded together organically and now have a shared mission. I like them both as workers and think they do awesome moves, but they needed a gimmick BEFORE they won the titles, not after.

* Of all the questionable finishes in tonight's show, the Ambrose/Barrett one was the absolute worst to me. So, so stupid. It is a wrestling trope for the cowardly IC Champion to try to run away from the challenger, accept the countout loss, and retain. It is also a wrestling trope for the babyface to pull him back in the ring. What there is no precedent for, as far as I know, is for the referee to call a match because the babyface doesn't LET the heel escape. Essentially, that's what happened, right? I'm not saying a better finish would've saved what was a pedestrian match, but man, I honestly care about both guys LESS after that and the finish didn't help.

* I liked the last two bouts, but don't see either as a MOTYC. Call it a "video game match" or whatever, but I was on the edge of my seat for Lesnar/Cena/Rollins and, watching in a room with mostly non-fans, that match had our attention and our beers spilling with every big kickout or bump getting us on our feet. Tonight's two last bouts were good, and a better crowd may have helped them significantly, but if I'm not shouting at my TV in mark-out mode, I'm not thinking MOTY.

It's interesting how Rusev-Cena gets called great when the last few minutes were the only part worth taking notice of. I wonder if any of the people that did so also criticised Meltzer for giving Hirooki Goto matches ****.

It is more interesting that you only found that last few minutes great when they established a great story with heated exchanges from the outset. I loved Rusev suffocating Cena and never letting the match get away from him. Cena had to resort to wild swings and awesome double leg takedowns. It was just Cena's indefatigable resolve to win that kept him in it. Just when that willpower looked to win Rusev had the answer with a ballshot. It was an incredible dramatic and heated contest between two combatants struggling to win a match and were invested in its outcome that established a story early based on their strengths, never wavered and delivered a great finish. That's great wrestling to me beginning middle and end

The narrative you thought up to best depict your viewing enjoyment means nothing to me though. Pro wrestling isn't a great storytelling medium so when it does tell great stories I feel it tells them in spite of its nature, not because of it. But what you described to me isn't a great story. It's a C level action movie scenario. I expect a sequel titled Cena 2 where the good guy gets his win back. Story interpretations can make for interesting reads-but I'd rather discuss what actually happened. The work that they did was subpar-Rusev's control segments were reduced to stomping, Cena's facial expressions were preposterously bad as were his punches, Rusev's Spinning Heel Kick missed, the match featured the weakest Alabama Slam I have ever seen, the AA has been killed and meant nothing....need I go on? The WWE is super micromanaged-if there was a story they were trying to sell they would have made it known-just like they did in the main event. A lot of the complaints I made may seem like "the usual stuff", but in general Cena has been reliable in performing on a high level despite limitations that come with issues that are engraved in his performances. But there was nothing to salvage the match here-the only interesting bits that happened (big counters and transitions) did so late in the match, and that particular part of the match I did enjoy. If Cena could've matched the sympathetic selling Zayn displayed against Owens or if Rusev made better offencive choices the first half would've been different-but as it stands I see no merit in it.

(sorry if I came off as a dick but that was kind of essential in the point I was making)

The narrative you thought up to best depict your viewing enjoyment means nothing to me though. Pro wrestling isn't a great storytelling medium so when it does tell great stories I feel it tells them in spite of its nature, not because of it. But what you described to me isn't a great story. It's a C level action movie scenario. I expect a sequel titled Cena 2 where the good guy gets his win back. Story interpretations can make for interesting reads-but I'd rather discuss what actually happened. The work that they did was subpar-Rusev's control segments were reduced to stomping, Cena's facial expressions were preposterously bad as were his punches, Rusev's Spinning Heel Kick missed, the match featured the weakest Alabama Slam I have ever seen, the AA has been killed and meant nothing....need I go on? The WWE is super micromanaged-if there was a story they were trying to sell they would have made it known-just like they did in the main event. A lot of the complaints I made may seem like "the usual stuff", but in general Cena has been reliable in performing on a high level despite limitations that come with issues that are engraved in his performances. But there was nothing to salvage the match here-the only interesting bits that happened (big counters and transitions) did so late in the match, and that particular part of the match I did enjoy. If Cena could've matched the sympathetic selling Zayn displayed against Owens or if Rusev made better offencive choices the first half would've been different-but as it stands I see no merit in it.

(sorry if I came off as a dick but that was kind of essential in the point I was making)

I did not think that narrative up, it was the narrative they told. I beg to disagree in that I think pro wrestling is a great and versatile storytelling medium. Even if I think that is not the most important element to pro wrestling. Pro wrestling in my estimation it is two competitors struggling to win a contest driven by their characters or the surrounding story and in turn reacting to one another (which is a story in of itself). Both Cena and Rusev had a sense of urgency to each of their actions and their movements that what piqued my interest. It generated a big match atmosphere and a hot bout to me. I remember Rusev's heat segment being more compelling than stomping because he was reacting to Cena's constant chippiness and hope spots. He had to cut Cena off at the pass on multiple occasions. I like Cena's facial expressions and his wild punches. They feel larger than life and that's what I like in my wrestling. I can see why that bothers somebody, but it does not to me. I thought he connected on all his kicks. Yes, Nikki Bella did hit a better Alabama Slamma, but I did not think it was egregious. The FU was killed long before this match and I do think Cena needs a super finisher, but it is not like the Tiger Driver was getting Misawa a ton of victories, sometime it requires repetition and different combination. It was clearly Cena vs Monster story as someone pointed out. I can see your point if you want to say this movie is played out and I have seen it before, but don't act like there was not a story. I like that story a lot and I though the urgency of the actions differentiated it from Cena vs Monster matches.

Nah, brutha, you were not a dick. You had your point of view and you explained it well. Ain't nothing dickish about that.

Oh and Cena's double legs are not always great, but in that match it was perfectly timed. It was a good lunge.

Most of the finishes either came out of nowhere in a bad, clunky way or just flat out sucked - with the worst of the night going to Dean Ambrose and Bad News Barrett. WTF was that?

The only thing that didn't come out of nowhere was that RKO. Randy's return felt flat and lifeless, which is a shame, because it should've been good.

I'm glad Kidd and Cesaro won the Tag Team Titles. I'm shocked that they'll be the "it" team going into WrestleMania (assuming they don't lose before then). They deserve it.

Goldust vs. Stardust sucked, because it was hyped as an ass-kicking and ended up being anything but. I can only assume Goldust took Dusty's advice about not killing his brother. Poor Dusty was so obviously scripted, and it hurt the segment. Just let Dusty loose! How hard is that? Stupid WWE writers. I love Stardust's new look though. Am I the only one?

I thought the HHH-Sting segment was absolutely fantastic, and I haven't cared about their feud before now and don't consider their pairing a dream match, but credit where credit is due for a damn good angle. The WCW aspect is weird though and seems 15 years too late.

LOL at the usual PWO banter about Rusev having a "match of the year." Those kinds of comments only happen on this board. :) Rusev is a lot of fun, and I like him, but please... With that said, it was cool seeing him beat Cena.

Bray Wyatt is the most overrated guy on the roster and seems like no threat whatsoever to the Undertaker. I am not in the least bit excited or interested.

Daniel Bryan made Roman Reigns look like a million bucks - something that sluggish slug Randy Orton was unable to accomplish at SummerSlam - but I'm disappointed with the finish and couldn't give two shits about Brock vs. Roman.

LOL at the usual PWO banter about Rusev having a "match of the year." Those kinds of comments only happens on this board. :) Rusev is a lot of fun, and I like him, but please... With that said, it was cool seeing him beat Cena.

Actually, I think I am the only person hyping it as such. Pretty much everyone else seems to think it was very good to great, but I have yet to hear anyone else call it a MOTYC (Will & Johnny liked it a lot, Pete thought it was good and Dylan seemed to like it well enough, but I don't think he thinks it is a MOTYC). It is just I have been very persistent in talking about because I think it is a very interesting match and I like hearing other people's opinions on it. It is nice to know if I post something enough I become the personification of PWO. Being The First Ever Winner of The First Ever Pro Wrestling Trivia Internet Podcast, Brainbuster has brought me unforeseen power and respect! Now if it had only brought me unforeseen pussy... :P

I wouldn't call Rusev v. Cena a match of the year. On some level I thought Rusev v. Ryback from SD was a better, though it didn't have the drama of this match. Having said that I do love that PWO is a board where someone can write a detailed review/analysis of that match, explaining why they regard it at the MOTYC level at it isn't dismissed with "lulz dude haven't you seen the New Japan or DragonGate?"

Actually, I think I am the only person hyping it as such. Pretty much everyone else seems to think it was very good to great, but I have yet to hear anyone else call it a MOTYC (Will & Johnny liked it a lot, Pete thought it was good and Dylan seemed to like it well enough, but I don't think he thinks it is a MOTYC). It is just I have been very persistent in talking about because I think it is a very interesting match and I like hearing other people's opinions on it. It is nice to know if I post something enough I become the personification of PWO. Being The First Ever Winner of The First Ever Pro Wrestling Trivia Internet Podcast, Brainbuster has brought me unforeseen power and respect! Now if it had only brought me unforeseen pussy... :P

LOL. Well, in addition to your post, I was talking about PWO threads in general when it comes to Rusev. After Rusev/Sheamus, people here were calling that a MOTY contender. I was like "really?!" Fun match, yeah, but come on now.

I think goodhelmet had that as a MOTYC. Not sure who else did. I thought it was a unique, rare, WWE match that was made to feel special, where a secondary title felt significance, and the work was very strong, but didn't have it at MOTY level. But if you are someone who looks at the stakes of a match as something that it enhances it, and you primarily watch WWE, I could see it at the MOTY level.