Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Fast Lane... Live as it happens

goodhelmet

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not once in the last thirteen years has it been about that. It's been about making one person happy, period. He won the war. Two wars. Until he dies that'll be his spoils. On the other hand, it's hard to fault a big corporation to want to present a product that it's most comfortable with. That's sort of the nature of the beast, so I can have it both ways.

The last 13 years?

He Who Shall Not Be Named in 2004?

Batista/Cena in 2005?

Okay, since 2006 the Rumble Winner has pretty been either sentimental "favorites," former champions (which Bryan would have been either time, so it would have been the 2001 Austin road rather than his 1998 road) or underwhelming choices in terms of being positioned as "THE NEXT GUY" but you're being a bit harsh in the amount of years its been since they've been on the same page with guy winning the Rumble title shot and a guy the fans want as the face of the company.

Heels are supposed to cheat so there's nothing wrong with that, however in the context of a company where heels don't really cheat how does that effect the audience reaction?

WWE heels cheat all the time. Excessively IMO. I liked the way that was done because Rusev doesn't need to cheat, it was an even match that he was winning on points, but he heard Lana on the apron and the ref going over, so he kicked Cena in the balls. why not? that's what heels do I'm really not sure where you're coming from with "in the context of a company where heels don't really cheat" when EVERY heel in WWE cheats. I like it better when it's like Rusev tonight, or Mr. Perfect....where these guys are really good and can beat anyone on any given night (cept for Hogan in Perfect's case).....but they are heels because they don't care about breaking the rules when the going gets tough

No they don't. Not by traditional wrestling standards. Heels win cleanly all the time, especially dominantly booked heels in Rusev's position.

I agree with you, brutha. Heels don't cheat during matches like ever. It is just boring, pedestrian transitions. There are guck finishes here and there but no one really wrestles like a heel. Cesaro and Barrett are the ultimate culprits of wrestling totally neutral. The Rusev finish was great because Cena was making a comeback and we have all seen the story before. Cena gains momentum and Rusev hits his best shot and Cena just won't give up! Cena powers up and just when everything seems to slipping out of Rusev's grasp BANG! Ball shot! Great finish!

I don't get why Sting can't speak.

Because he's not a very good promo?

No, he's actually a pretty damn good promo if you've watched his TNA stuff (which you probably haven't)

I wanted him to talk. I wanted him to rip into HHH verbally. I wanted him to grab the mic out of HHH's hand. And that's obviously what WWE was going for there. Teasing the audience by not giving them what they wanted. We did get the sledgehammer and the bat. Sting will talk before the match on RAW maybe, probably on the go home show, but this is their idea of building intrigue

Gotta love WWE logic, can't change plans because the 15,000 or so who booed at the Rumble were just those pesky smarty smarts who travel. So let's stay the course so Vince's wet dream match gets booed by 70,000 at Wrestlemania.

On the other hand, Brock has to love this since it pretty much guarantees WWE has to sign him to some sort of deal unless Vince wants another cycle of news stories on how fans hate his product.

Here's what baffles me.

OK, you've decided you're staying the course and need to make Reigns the guy as planned. Let's give him a quality, violent, hard-hitting, competitive main event to make it clear he's the guy.

You can't have the guy he beats be a tiny lovable underdog. The way that Daniel Bryan works was great for what they were trying to do. But the thing that Daniel Bryan is makes it kind of weird and stupid.

And that's setting aside that Bryan is the guy people want in Reigns spot, no less.

I feel like best case scenario for WWE is Brock to re-sign with the company & retain the title at Wrestlemania and go on a run as the top babyface. Set up a Rusev Vs. Brock match where Rusev & Lana are in the ring (still as U.S. champ) saying that no American can beat him only for Brock's music to hit.

Nothing on this card came close to touching the 3-way from Royal Rumble.

Doesn't Reigns selling that much for a guy half his size who has always been presented as not quite at the top level make him look bad? Or does the fact that he won override that? That might have been his most impressive singles performance, but to me he didn't work like a future ace should work.

I think their goal was to put sympathy on Reigns. Bryan was working total heel in that match.

Bryan was working heelish I suppose....if wrestling and targeting areas of the opponents body is heel........but Reigns wasn't exactly working babyface....unless just selling and powering out of stuff makes him a babyface. I don't know.......there was a weird dynamic in play here where babyface Reigns was sucking.......they both were kinda dicks a bit in the buildup. The crowd was def more in favor of Bryan.....but as it went on Reigns got some of the crowd on his side and people popping for some of his spots. I just think this was kind of no win situation and bad booking choice.......but Reigns winning the Rumble was a bad booking choice.....so at least they're being consistent and sticking to their plan

I can't buy Roman beating Brock at all, and Roman as the top guy in the company quite possibly might make me stop watching for a while. Nothing against him, I just don't like this.

I think switching gears would have been a mistake. Lesnar-Bryan still has appeal down the line, but I'd rather see them rebuild Bryan first. My bigger problem is that they don't have anyone at Bryan's level for him to face on the show, yet they had a program in reserve for the far less over Randy Orton, who has been on the shelf for months himself. The priorities of this company never cease to amaze.

To be fair......Rollins and Orton is such an ideal match. It was built up for months.....the crowd was on the verge of going nuclear to see Orton turn face and fuck up this punk Rollins.............then he goes to do a movie. And in the meantime they've kinda killed the curbstomp as a death move which does Orton no favors. Then they held back on Orton's return waaaaaaay too long. I thought he should run in and RKO Rollins at Survivor Series (in STL no less) to take the power away from HHH and really make him a white hot babyface. they waited so long that this felt lukewarm

so yea, their priorities kinda suck.....and this is a shining example of bad booking

So we have

Reigns/Lesnar

HHH/Sting

Rollins/Orton

Ambrose/BNB

Taker//Wyatt

Cena/Rusev

pretty much set in stone for Mania (well, Ambrose/BNB might get dropped if they need more space on the card)

They kinda have to book Bryan/Ziggler unless one them is winning the Batte Royal.

and you just know they are going to carve out some significant time for a shitty multi-divas match and some kind of bullshit 'celebrity' appearance or music performance. and that's a lot of singles matches. Even if they do go with Bryan and Ziggler there's no way they are given enough time to do anything special

Not once in the last thirteen years has it been about that.

in 2006 people wanted to see Rey Mysterio win and they went with it

I remember 2006 being because they wanted to capitalize on the death of Eddie Guerrero, and having a ready made 'Rey wins it for his tragically deceased homie' angle. There wasn't much of a popular groundswell, and there would have been no backlash had it not happened.

Many people thought the timing left a bad taste and made it seem like Rey was just there so they could run a tribute.

Pretty awful show in term of crowd heat, commentary (totally abysmal, is Lawler still getting paid ?), finishes (except Rusev vs Cena), and overall direction of the company.

Opener was blah, Kane & Big Show working the leg of Eric Rowan. Feel the excitement. Randy Orton coming back. Fuuuuuuck. Rhodes vs Rhodes was just plain bad. Dusty sounds and acts like a robot. Cody sucks, ok, he's never been over, he's never been a good worker, he never had a character that worked. Let's put an end to this. Dustin should be working serious stuff higher on the card, but I guess "he's too old". The tag team match was pretty good, and the right guys won at least. The whole Sting vs HHH stuff was not only ridiculous (WWF vs WCW, in 2015, yeah, that totally works), delusionnal (so, HHH put WCW out of business now, this guy is just a riot) but also extremely boring, rehashed (the baseball bat deal got tired in 98 or so) and will only lead to a terrible "dream" match. The less said about the Bray Wyatt stuff the better. Will also lead to awful segments and a bad match at Mania. Ok, what was there ? Paige vs Bella, which was ok for what it was I guess. The IC title match… ok, remember when Dean Ambrose was the most over of the post-breakup Shield ? Ok, no one was over tonight expect Daniel Bryan, but still. Poor guy.

Ok, Cena vs Rusev was a decent to good match, with exactly the right finish. Valet comes in, balls shot, submission. Classic, perfect, and Cena did a great job in the post-match too. Of course, I guess he simply gets his win back at Mania now, but still, at least on this night, this was the right finish.

Bryan vs Reigns was pretty good as a bombfest, like it's been said, but Reigns is so not the ace of the company. Of course he looked the best he ever did in single match thus far. Who wouldn't against Bryan ? But to me, he's Diesel facing Bret Hart, 20 years later.

Mania looks like really bad at this point.

Gotta love WWE logic, can't change plans because the 15,000 or so who booed at the Rumble were just those pesky smarty smarts who travel. So let's stay the course so Vince's wet dream match gets booed by 70,000 at Wrestlemania.

On the other hand, Brock has to love this since it pretty much guarantees WWE has to sign him to some sort of deal unless Vince wants another cycle of news stories on how fans hate his product.

Brock knows he's going to make bank due to WWE's incompetence booking. If I were Brock I'd ensure I got everything I wanted from Vince including the assurance of being protected in such a way he can't be put into bad booking decisions.

I feel like best case scenario for WWE is Brock to re-sign with the company & retain the title at Wrestlemania and go on a run as the top babyface. Set up a Rusev Vs. Brock match where Rusev & Lana are in the ring (still as U.S. champ) saying that no American can beat him only for Brock's music to hit.

Nothing on this card came close to touching the 3-way from Royal Rumble.

I think Cena/Rusev is neck and neck with the triple threat and I was there live for the triple threat. I think they are the clear one-two punch for the WWE in terms of the best matches of the year so far.

Pretty awful show in term of crowd heat, commentary (totally abysmal, is Lawler still getting paid ?), finishes (except Rusev vs Cena), and overall direction of the company.

Opener was blah, Kane & Big Show working the leg of Eric Rowan. Feel the excitement. Randy Orton coming back. Fuuuuuuck. Rhodes vs Rhodes was just plain bad. Dusty sounds and acts like a robot. Cody sucks, ok, he's never been over, he's never been a good worker, he never had a character that worked. Let's put an end to this. Dustin should be working serious stuff higher on the card, but I guess "he's too old". The tag team match was pretty good, and the right guys won at least. The whole Sting vs HHH stuff was not only ridiculous (WWF vs WCW, in 2015, yeah, that totally works), delusionnal (so, HHH put WCW out of business now, this guy is just a riot) but also extremely boring, rehashed (the baseball bat deal got tired in 98 or so) and will only lead to a terrible "dream" match. The less said about the Bray Wyatt stuff the better. Will also lead to awful segments and a bad match at Mania. Ok, what was there ? Paige vs Bella, which was ok for what it was I guess. The IC title match… ok, remember when Dean Ambrose was the most over of the post-breakup Shield ? Ok, no one was over tonight expect Daniel Bryan, but still. Poor guy.

Ok, Cena vs Rusev was a decent to good match, with exactly the right finish. Valet comes in, balls shot, submission. Classic, perfect, and Cena did a great job in the post-match too. Of course, I guess he simply gets his win back at Mania now, but still, at least on this night, this was the right finish.

Bryan vs Reigns was pretty good as a bombfest, like it's been said, but Reigns is so not the ace of the company. Of course he looked the best he ever did in single match thus far. Who wouldn't against Bryan ? But to me, he's Diesel facing Bret Hart, 20 years later.

Mania looks like really bad at this point.

El-P, you really have turned the negative review into an art form. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic, you're the master.

Still, I don't care how bad this show may have been. I was stuck at an Oscar party with no free Wi-Fi, so I couldn't watch FastLane on my phone. No way in hell was it a worse experience than having to sit through that horrible 3 1/2 hour long piece of shit.

Not once in the last thirteen years has it been about that.

in 2006 people wanted to see Rey Mysterio win and they went with it

I remember 2006 being because they wanted to capitalize on the death of Eddie Guerrero, and having a ready made 'Rey wins it for his tragically deceased homie' angle. There wasn't much of a popular groundswell, and there would have been no backlash had it not happened.

Many people thought the timing left a bad taste and made it seem like Rey was just there so they could run a tribute.

I'd second that. The way Rey was booked with the belt also turned off quite a few.. even if they didn't turn off their TV 😏

Rey was a huge fan favorite, a good choice for the belt, but there was no huge groundswell to get the belt on him at the time. Eddie was supposed to get the belt but there wasn't a huge groundswell for him either. Straining to remember what the circumstances were.. mixture of injuries and suspensions? anyone?

Eddie dies and they just tried to transfer Rey into that spot. And it wasn't done very well at all.

it came about because after Eddie died crowds were crazy hot for Rey, despite the terrible exploitative booking centered on Eddie (some of the worst stuff in wrestling I've ever seen). They couldn't ignore how much the crowd was feeling Rey at that point, and Vince was dragged kicking and screaming to do it by many accounts

At the time, Meltzer kept writing that the plan was for Randy Orton to get the championship. Mysterio had just come off a year where he was one of the companies best TV ratings draws, as well, so there was some groundswell support for him to get the title. A lot of people were really upset when Orton beat Mysterio for the WM title shot in February. He had a lot of support at the time.

Meltzer noted that the reason Orton didn't get the title at WM22 was because he got himself suspended, and McMahon finally being convinced by others around him to put the title on Mysterio. I think Angle also had some serious injury. Orton did that last job to Mysterio the week or so after WM22, then left for a bit.

If anything, WWE was trying to use the death of Guerrero, and Mysterio's connection to him and the crowd to get Orton more over as a heel at the time.