Pro Wrestling Only

Random questions thread

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The credits at the end of the video list 1991 as the copyright date. It looks like Volador started using that gimmick in August or September 1990, and Pirata's hair in the video is too long for it to be from the month and a half of 1990 after his hair match loss to Faraon. This one's more of a judgment call, but going by this match from August 1990 I think his hair is too short to be from the period from August '90 through November '90. My guess is that it wasn't a delayed airing or replay and that it actually did take place in '91.

Short answer: no, I don't know the date for that match.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Kevin Sullivan's physique start to change before or after he turned heel in Florida? I know from the very early 80s footage I saw of him in Memphis he has a real jacked up bodybuilder look that is gone by the time I have any footage of him as a heel in Florida. So I'm mostly wondering if he stopped working out as kind of a "living the gimmick" type thing.

Did Kevin Sullivan's physique start to change before or after he turned heel in Florida? I know from the very early 80s footage I saw of him in Memphis he has a real jacked up bodybuilder look that is gone by the time I have any footage of him as a heel in Florida. So I'm mostly wondering if he stopped working out as kind of a "living the gimmick" type thing.

He was still pretty muscular/defined by early '80's professional wrestling standards in Georgia in 1981 and 1982. I always recalled Solie occasionally touting the bodybuiding contests that Sullivan apparently competed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FY96-ZPv4c

Has anyone else read The World of Lucha Libre by Heather Levi? According to her trainer, not sure who as I no longer have the book, Dr Wagner Jr is of no relation to Wagner Sr, and that he paid Wagner for the name. Also wrote that it was quite a common practice. Any truth to this?

Wagner Jr. is Wagner Sr.'s real son but buying the gimmick of being the son of a famous wrestler is a common practice.

That's what I thought. By the way, I haven't paid attention to lucha for years, so this may not be a first but the press release for the London Lucha shows names Demon Jr. as the adopted son of Demon Sr. I believe that was one of those things that everybody knows but had never been made public.

When I first read it I thought she or he may have confused it with Dr. Wagner's best friend Angel Blanco. The first Angel Blanco Jr was in fact his son-in-law and later worked as Rey Salomon. The current Angel Blanco Jr is indeed his son, but the more famous Angel Blanco Jr was not.

That's what I thought. By the way, I haven't paid attention to lucha for years, so this may not be a first but the press release for the London Lucha shows names Demon Jr. as the adopted son of Demon Sr. I believe that was one of those things that everybody knows but had never been made public.

I remember there was brief dispute betweeen the family and Demon Jr. a few years back (over money I guess), and they brought up him not being a blood relation. For a second it looked like they might make him drop the mask, but things got smoothed over.

I remember there was brief dispute betweeen the family and Demon Jr. a few years back (over money I guess), and they brought up him not being a blood relation. For a second it looked like they might make him drop the mask, but things got smoothed over.

I forgot that - you are right, that was in several Mexican media outlets. The family wanted to give the mask to somebody else, which would have a been a huge mistake.

So I wonder if ROH and WWE have some kind of deal like ECW had. First there was Joe being pushed heavy on NXT with merch and everything while still being able to work ROH TV tapings, and now ROH announced Kevin Steen is part of their initial action figure line. It would make sense for WWE to want to partner with them as almost an unofficial developmental group since they've got so many talented guys from there,

I saw that Chikara is coming to Columbus and I can get a front row seat if I want to. But I'm torn. I think it would be a really great experience to sit front row for a show like that but I also don't want to potentially end up being on film for a majority of the show. What would you guys do?

Any word on how Kris Travis is doing following his cancer battle?

He's finished chemo now, and is in training for his comeback. I saw him at a show a month ago, and he was able to get physically involved - nothing serious, just superkicking a heel - and he's talked about hopefully returning to the ring before the end of the year. He's also submitted a video for Tough Enough.

I've seen ... several ... 70s/80s US Minis matches the past couple weeks (let's ignore the "why" on that) and in each one (all tag team bouts) the partners argue with each other, a lot. Miscommunication, punching each other, etc. Is this just dumb coincidence from the ones I've seen or is there some sort of "midgets are untrustworthy" trope that I'm unaware of?

I saw that Chikara is coming to Columbus and I can get a front row seat if I want to. But I'm torn. I think it would be a really great experience to sit front row for a show like that but I also don't want to potentially end up being on film for a majority of the show. What would you guys do?

I am traveling in to spend the weekend with a buddy and go to the show. We'll be sitting front row!

Did any of them have the spot where the midget either crawls through Dick Worlhe's legs or climb on his back?

There seemed to be a lot of standard ref-midget comedy spots that played up the idea of "those little mischievous imps".

Yes, also noticed the repeated use of ref spots. Always challenging the officials to fights. Rowdy little dudes.