Pro Wrestling Only

Random questions thread

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any great Wahoo matches besides the Bockwinkel one from AWA? Were any of the Flair ones from Battle of the Belts good/great?

Wahoo is one of my favorite Flair opponents because he always brings out Flair's violent side. If you like Flair vs Garvin then you'll like those. I remember liking the Battle of The Belts match as well as their match from the Mid South set.

Been watching 1989 recently and just got to highlights of the Savage/Duggan match where Macho wins the crown. Only the ending is shown and I watched all the weeks programming and its just the end of the match.

Was there a reason as to why they just shoved this on a update rather than just air the match in full?

Been listening to Kevin Sullivan's Helluva Deal show. He's just hit the Hogan vs. Arn matches and the politics behind why Hogan put Arn over are fascinating. And also hilariously fucked up. Jim Barnett involved too.

But he's mentioned two other things that I wanted to try to verify:

1. He claims The Loch Ness Monster (aka Giant Haystacks) was a big TV draw for WCW when he first came in and drew.a 3.7 on Saturday Night. Is that true?

2. That Abdullah the Butcher sued WCW for $350k over a Beekcaje using the Butcher name. Any record of this?

I don't know the answers to your questions, but could you give a brief description on the Hogan/Arn situation?

Essentially Flair had a real bee in his bonnet about Hogan never jobbing and wanted to beat him himself. He'd been nagging Sullivan about it for months and Hulk was starting to get unpopular with the boys for never putting anyone over.

Sullivan felt he was stuck between a rock and a hard place and went to Barnett who suggested that he should put Arn over Hogan. Sullivan was like "are you nuts?" but Barnett knew that Hogan would go for it as a fuck you to Flair.

And he did. Twice. Apparently the second week, Flair had been in Arn's ear all week saying how aHogan was probably going to win in twenty seconds this time, how he'd never job again etc., and so when thy did the DQ finish it swept the legs from under Flair's argument while also ensuring Hogan didn't have to job for Flair.

Totally fucked up situation with egos everywhere. But that's how Arn got his two wins.

The stuff about Hogan and savage is interesting too: that Hogan knew that Savage knew that he was fucking him while pretending to he wasn't. But savage knew that hogan knew that. The layers of politics and bullshit are off the charts in early 1996 WCW.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but could you give a brief description on the Hogan/Arn situation?

Essentially Flair had a real bee in his bonnet about Hogan never jobbing and wanted to beat him himself. He'd been nagging Sullivan about it for months and Hulk was starting to get unpopular with the boys for never putting anyone over.

Sullivan felt he was stuck between a rock and a hard place and went to Barnett who suggested that he should put Arn over Hogan. Sullivan was like "are you nuts?" but Barnett knew that Hogan would go for it as a fuck you to Flair.

And he did. Twice. Apparently the second week, Flair had been in Arn's ear all week saying how aHogan was probably going to win in twenty seconds this time, how he'd never job again etc., and so when thy did the DQ finish it swept the legs from under Flair's argument while also ensuring Hogan didn't have to job for Flair.

Totally fucked up situation with egos everywhere. But that's how Arn got his two wins.

The stuff about Hogan and savage is interesting too: that Hogan knew that Savage knew that he was fucking him while pretending to he wasn't. But savage knew that hogan knew that. The layers of politics and bullshit are off the charts in early 1996 WCW.

I have only listened to a few of Sullivan's things but I wish he would just do a whole show telling Barnett stories. He told some really good ones during his interview on Jim Cornette's podcast. The one about Barnett calling him to convince him to make brand new to WCW Alex Wright his champion cracked me up, although not as good as this "Barnett outsmarts everyone" story which are my favorite Barnett stories.

Why is Negro Casas nicknamed Cuatro Cuarenta or 4:40?

Los Cuatro Cuarenta are the band that plays with Juan Luis Guerra and Negro Casas is a big fan. I think that's where it comes from.
Guerra's music was just used by Casas as a nod to his pre-existing nickname. 4:40 refers to some track record Casas had in school while Guerra's band is 440 as in 440 hertz (cheesy music joke).