Pro Wrestling Only

Random questions thread

JerryvonKramer

I've seen ... several ... 70s/80s US Minis matches the past couple weeks (let's ignore the "why" on that) and in each one (all tag team bouts) the partners argue with each other, a lot. Miscommunication, punching each other, etc. Is this just dumb coincidence from the ones I've seen or is there some sort of "midgets are untrustworthy" trope that I'm unaware of?

It was the standard script they followed as part of the attraction match it was.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen ... several ... 70s/80s US Minis matches the past couple weeks (let's ignore the "why" on that) and in each one (all tag team bouts) the partners argue with each other, a lot. Miscommunication, punching each other, etc. Is this just dumb coincidence from the ones I've seen or is there some sort of "midgets are untrustworthy" trope that I'm unaware of?

It was the standard script they followed as part of the attraction match it was.

This certainly seems to be the reasonable answer though I'm disappointed it's not something more exotic. Has any non-lucha promotion ever used the minis as a regular part of the show? Obviously they were in a bit of an angle with Bundy/Jim leading up to WM3 and I remember them popping up in for a few weeks in like 96-97 when the WWF was throwing a bunch at the wall, but other than that?

This certainly seems to be the reasonable answer though I'm disappointed it's not something more exotic. Has any non-lucha promotion ever used the minis as a regular part of the show? Obviously they were in a bit of an angle with Bundy/Jim leading up to WM3 and I remember them popping up in for a few weeks in like 96-97 when the WWF was throwing a bunch at the wall, but other than that?

The reason they were doing the minis in 1997 was the deal they had with AAA at the time.

Has Jim Herd made any public appearances, done interviews, etc. since leaving wrestling? I can't recall, it's like he fell off the face of the Earth after WCW. Just curious since he's a pretty important part of history. Apparently, he's still alive at age 76.

I've been going back through my old WON's and just finished the obituary of The Crusher. No idea where my head was at that time, but I didn't remember anything about it and was fascinated the whole way through. I know there really isn't much/any footage from his prime with Bruiser, but what other footage or info is out there about this era? Hoping for some more stories if we ever get part 2 of the Verne obit but not holding my breath.

There are two matches of Lisowski from Chicago footage. One particulary who is proto-AWA : Dick the Bruiser & the Lisowski Brothers vs Verne Gagne, Wilbur Snyder & Argentina Rocca from 1956.

The Gallaghers vs the Lisowskis from 1959 :

If you want promo, there is this 22-seconde match against Johnny Valentine and interviews

Next, this video from the summer of 1961 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJZRFygVhY

Khawk will help you for his AWA years.

Thanks! Really enjoying checking this out. Were Crusher & Bruiser that revolutionary on the mic for their time, or just so far ahead of the pack in the AWA/WWA?

I'm not the expert khawk is, but from what I've seen it seems like a little of both. They were running circles around their peers and their style was just so different for the time.

Was Miss Elizabeth as fat as Buddy Landell claims she was before she started dating Savage? Landell claims she was pushing 300 pounds.

I know Landell is full of shit on a lot of things, but I'm particularly curious about this claim for some reason.

Ha! Somebody posted pics of her from high school on this very board not too long ago, sorry I don't remember which thread.

Buddy is full of shit.

Was Miss Elizabeth as fat as Buddy Landell claims she was before she started dating Savage? Landell claims she was pushing 300 pounds.

I know Landell is full of shit on a lot of things, but I'm particularly curious about this claim for some reason.

Ha! Somebody posted pics of her from high school on this very board not too long ago, sorry I don't remember which thread.

Buddy is full of shit.

Here you go

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/30966-buddy-landel-on-aow/

Did Vince McMahon ever try and get The Fabulous Ones to come to WWF? I know about the famous meeting with The Midnights where they decided not to go because they were talking about action figures and merchandise and not wrestling, but I have never heard about Vince going after Stan & Steve? Seems like he would have wanted to pick them up in 83/84 when they were still a hot act.

The Triple Crown is formed (after a few false starts, IIRC) in April of '89, though for '89 and '90 it revolves around the veterans Jumbo, Tenryu, Gordy, and Hansen. The SWS exodus isn't until March/April of '90 and the young-guys push starts immediately after that, so you'll get the closing days of Misawa as Tiger Mask and Kawada as a member of Footloose in there.