Pro Wrestling Only

Random questions thread

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I wanted to mentioned them, the figures seem absolutely enormous. Sullivan claims Hogan was on almost 10 times the next nearest guy (who was Savage).

He reckons that Hogan was able to negotiate this deal after a PPV carrier went to him independently (i.e. just to Hogan) and offered by 2 million for 6 shows. Hogan went to Turner and was able to get the deal by playing one against the other.

The figures seem outrageous though, and I wanted to know if there were any conflicting reports.

There was a story I remember from 95 where they put Hogan vs Kamala on the Sunday Main Event, which was shown live before a PPV, because they didn't want to pay him the $300k.

That was a Clash of the Champions, not a PPV. And Hogan appeared on the Clash in the segment where he entered the Dungeon of Doom, got attacked by the Giant and saved by Vader.

I think Hogan also made a large tactical error by playing up his own suicide attempts, and how Tatyana Ali "saved" him. I think he was aiming for a sympathetic story that got a lot of attention, but then when people saw how relevant he still was they would all want the Hulkster back. It did get attention, but I think instead people saw him as a sad old man who was winding down his days. I personally did not feel sympathetic, but remember thinking when that story broke "Oh man this is not the reaction he was hoping for".

There was a question pages back about the Japanese chants when somebody got put into a sleeper.

It was, oddly enough, "Go to sleep!"

Seems like it started right about the time Misawa beat Jumbo with the stepover facelock. Great stuff though.

I was browsing google the other day to see what matches Jerry Lawler had during the WWF invasion and one of the results linked me to a 17 minute video between Perfect vs Lawler from 1993.

The quality is excellent it doesnt look like a TV Taping show so must be a Home Video release.

Any ideas what Home Video this match was on as I have the USWA Heat series and dont remember it being on any of those.

For me the audio recording that leaked with his son trying to set up a reality show out of the car wreck is what soured me on the man, big time. Even watching classic Hulkster back, I can't get that call out of my head.

When I saw this on TMZ I lost all respect for him.

Im thinking about doing a WCW rewatch project as ive nearly finished my WWE one and was wondering what the best year would be to start off on.

Im sure there is some right NWA experts out there that would be able to give good advice.

Might need advice of when the weekly tv aired so I can watch in order.

For me the audio recording that leaked with his son trying to set up a reality show out of the car wreck is what soured me on the man, big time. Even watching classic Hulkster back, I can't get that call out of my head.

This. Once I heard that, he went from harmless wrestler con artist to disgusting human being.

This. Once I heard that, he went from harmless wrestler con artist to disgusting human being.

Somewhat strange that you guys had that (still have that?) reaction (albeit initially I understand), because that's when Hogan went on Larry King and buried TMZ for not putting out the full conversation (which did come out eventually), and kind of won back the court of public opinion on the whole deal. He simply told the truth and knew he would be backed up. Definitely learned from the Arsenio steroid appearance in that one, honestly really is the best policy!

If you do 1984 watch the Georgia crew as well because the main players merge in March of 1985.

I know a little bit of info but not much. I know there is wikipedia that mentions the merger but I found it a little confusing.

From what I could make out the groups all merged around March 85 which is when they called NWA or WCW at the time but before then Saturday Night was GCW and obviously I know Worldwide was Mid Atlantic but not sure on what NWA Pro was. But im guessing those 3 feds had different rosters except the champs wrestled for all of them. Ive seen Anderson in GCW and it made sense.

Not sure if any other territories were in the same batch as only TV show I can think of is NWA Main Event & Power Hour never started till 89 I know.

McMahon bought the World Championship Wrestling slot in April 1984. GCW was brought back with an early Saturday morning slot later in the summer. Both shows weren't doing well ratings wise.

Mid-Atlantic had two shows before the merge. They had Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling and World Wide Wrestling. The Mid-Atlantic show gets renamed to NWA Pro later on.

What is the story behind this? The Hogan Knows Best era of his life is a blur for me. I didn't even know his son was in a car wreck.

Was Brian Knobbs under WCW contract from 1996 when the Nasty Boys ended until 1999 with the Hardcore stuff? If not, where was he?

1999 was a new deal IIRC, specifically bringing him in as talent for the hardcore division. Guessing he just didn't wrestle very much in the couple years off.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about WCW in 1992 what broadcast order did they air in?

I think 2 shows aired on the same day didnt they?

Reason I ask is years ago I had a old WCW magazine from back then and I seem to recall it listed a bunch of stuff like when shows aired and the times they aired. But dont have the magazine anymore to check.

I've watched a ton of Power Pro from 1985 recently so I've got some questions:

- why the heck was Hercules Hernandez announced as being from "Badstreet"?

- How in the heck did they do the fireball on Hacksaw Duggan in May of 1985? Akbar sticks the flame RIGHT ON Duggan's face. Seems incredibly dangerous, yet intentional.

- in an anti-WWF promo, Dick Murdoch says that with Adrian Adonis, he "never knew if my partner would show up" - is there a story behind that or is Murdoch just flapping his gums?

- during one of the Joel Watts "Punishment of Pro Wrestling" videos, they show Tim Ashley taking an elbow drop from Nord the Barbarian (and getting crushed by Nord's leg) and say that Ashley quit wrestling as a result of the injury he sustained. Fact or crap?

What is the story behind this? The Hogan Knows Best era of his life is a blur for me. I didn't even know his son was in a car wreck.

IIRC it was something like:

hogan's son and his best friend were out street racing and got into a huge wreck. hogan came out of it OK but his friend was left more or less brain-dead IIRC? the hulkster proceeded to say what a negative person the kid's father was and how that brought that fate upon them (like The Secret sorta), or something like that.