Pro Wrestling Only

Random questions thread

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one. Does anybody know what the steepest sentencing ever imposed by a "wrestlers court" has been? Typically you hear about those taken to court having to buy beer for the boys or getting ribbed, but has anybody actually got fired, or blacklisted in wrestling as a result of the mock justice system?

What were Vince and The Grand Wizard doing in Portland here in 1982?

This isn't really that uncommon. Let's say Wahoo McDaniel was in Georgia and getting ready to come to Southwest Championship, then it wouldn't be that uncommon to see a taped interview with Wahoo & Gordon Solie air on Southwest TV to hype his arrival.

This happened with pretty much all the territories, including WWF even though they weren't "officially" in the NWA. This is definitely not the only time Vince would help make a promo video for Portland as I've also seen Vince doing an interview with Curt Hennig to hype Curt's return to Portland to fight Buddy Rose.

Buddy Rose had a series of matches with Backlund in '82 where Wizard was his manager. It looks like it was shot in the Northeast. Makes Portland look more big time by having Portland's main guy associated with a WWF manager and WWF announcer. Vince & Co. were just doing a favor for Buddy, I would imagine.

I'm not sure if fans of PNW would have really looked at it this way in 1982. WWF was just another territory, even if it happened to be the one with the largest population base.

Frank Bonnema on Portland television would often brag that a wrestler did well in "New York." Even then everyone knew that New York was the big time.

During this time Rose was working for Vince but came home for a few days to face Ric Flair in Portland and Seattle for the NWA World Title. In something of a rarity he challenged for the NWA World and WWF Titles in the same month.

What was the deal between Stone Cold & Jeff Jarrett in 1999?

Over the years I heard stories in magazines & the Internet about Austin refused to work with the guy several times. Or was it more to do with Stone Cold didn't see him in his league?

Seems a shame really considering both guys career's started out in the USWA & they worked together quite a bit.

Why did WCW oftentimes remove matches from the VHS versions of the PPVs? For example, the VHS of Great American Bash 1990 has the first four matches edited out so the show starts with Southern Boys vs the Midnight Express. It made no real sense IMO.

Frank Bonnema on Portland television would often brag that a wrestler did well in "New York." Even then everyone knew that New York was the big time.

During this time Rose was working for Vince but came home for a few days to face Ric Flair in Portland and Seattle for the NWA World Title. In something of a rarity he challenged for the NWA World and WWF Titles in the same month.

Did you know that Stan Stasiak main evented nine hundred and seventy two MSG shows?

Why did WCW oftentimes remove matches from the VHS versions of the PPVs? For example, the VHS of Great American Bash 1990 has the first four matches edited out so the show starts with Southern Boys vs the Midnight Express. It made no real sense IMO.

Was it just VHS space issues? I remember in the late 1990's when WWE went back and released full versions of older WrestleManias on VHS, the quality was horrible.

What was the deal between Stone Cold & Jeff Jarrett in 1999?

Over the years I heard stories in magazines & the Internet about Austin refused to work with the guy several times. Or was it more to do with Stone Cold didn't see him in his league?

Seems a shame really considering both guys career's started out in the USWA & they worked together quite a bit.

There are a lot of alleged reasons, but the most likely one seems to stem from their time together in the USWA, where Jarrett was treated as the golden boy and Austin was scrounging to make ends meet. Supposedly, Jarrett was not exactly the most considerate when it came to flaunting pay checks, given he was making a lot more than Austin at the time. There are also other possible factors, such as Jarrett's "Austin 3:16 is blasphemous" promo not long after returning to the WWF in 1997, the Debra situation, and the fact Austin himself says it's simply because Jarrett was too soft as a worker and he didn't feel they would mesh.

Any idea when in 1982 this was? Remember that there was also a Flair-Backlund match hyped as champion vs champion in The Omni that summer. It's not as unthinkable as it would have been two years later.

Yes it would have been September 28th & 29th of 1982. It was Flair's second tour as NWA Champ in the northwest. Rose would have been a heel of course, and Flair would have been a heel too but he was the champ so it's possible people would cheer for the hometown guy as Rose still had a home in the Northwest.

September 28th was a Tuesday special at the Portland Sports Arena and the next night in Seattle at the Seattle Center Arena.

Earlier in the year in April Flair came into Portland for a week and did defend against Rose once in Portland on another Tuesday special but Buddy didn't start working New York until the Summer of 82'. Most of Flair's defenses were against Rocky Johnson or Brett Sawyer.

I know this is a bit off topic but a week ago over on the WCMB I posted all of Ric Flair's matches in the Northwest during the 80's while he was a touring NWA World Champion. Portland was one of the last outside dates he took besides Japan.

Here is the list.

Here is Flair's Northwest matches.

4/10 Portland OR W Brett Sawyer (NWA World Title)
4/11 Finley WA DDQ Rocky Johnson (NWA World Title)
4/12 Longview WA: DCO Rocky Johnson (NWA World Title)
4/13 Portland OR W Buddy Rose (NWA World Title)
4/14 Seattle WA W Brett Sawyer (NWA World Title)
4/15 Salem OR D Rocky Johnson (NWA World Title)
4/16 Eugene OR W Rocky Johnson (NWA World Title)
9/26 Prineville OR W Brett Sawyer (NWA World Title)
9/27 Albany OR W Terry Gibbs (NWA World Title)
9/28 Portland OR L CO Buddy Rose (NWA World Title)
9/29 Seattle WA L DQ Buddy Rose (NWA World Title)
9/30 Salem OR W Brett Sawyer (NWA World Title)
10/1 Eugene OR W Terry Gibbs (NWA World Title)
10/2 Portland OR W Brett Sawyer (NWA World Title)

5/8 Centralia WA W Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)
5/9 Longview WA W Buddy Rose (NWA World Title)
5/10 Portland OR D (60:00) Roddy Piper (NWA World Tile) Expo Center
5/11 Seattle WA W Roddy Piper (NWA World Title)
5/12 Yakima WA W Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)
5/13 Eugene OR W Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)
5/14 Portland OR w/Rip Oliver L Roddy Piper & Billy Jack Haynes

4/30 Bellingham WA W Brett Sawyer (NWA World Title)
5/1 Portland OR D (60:00) Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)
5/2 Seattle WA D (60:00) Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)
5/3 Cheney WA L DQ Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)
5/4 Eugene OR W Brett Sawyer (NWA World Title)
5/5 Portland OR w/Rip Oliver W Buddy Rose & Matt Borne
10/19 Eugene OR W Rip Oliver (NWA World Title)
10/20 Portland OR L DQ Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)
10/21 Pendleton OR W Tom Prichard (NWA World Title)
10/22 Molalla OR W Tom Prichard (NWA World Title)
10/23 Portland OR W Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)
10/24 Seattle WA W Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)

4/9 Portland OR W Curt Hennig (NWA World Title)
4/10 Seattle WA W Bobby Jaggers (NWA World Title)
4/11 Salem OR W Bobby Jaggers (NWA World Title)
4/12 Eugene OR W Bobby Jaggers (NWA World Title)
4/13 Portland OR D Karl Steiner (NWA World Title)
5/21 Portland OR D Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title) Coliseum
9/23 Portland OR D Magnum TA (NWA World Title) Coliseum
9/24 Seattle WA D Billy Jack Haynes (NWA World Title)

1/21 Portland OR W DQ Dusty Rhodes (NWA World Title) Coliseum
1/22 Seattle WA W DQ Dusty Rhodes (NWA World Title)
3/25 Portland OR W Dusty Rhodes (NWA World Title) Cage Match Coliseum
3/26 Seattle WA W Dusty Rhodes (NWA World Title) Cage Match
3/27 Spokane WA W Coco Samoa (NWA World Title)
5/20 Portland OR W DQ Rip Oliver (sub for Billy Jack NWA World Title)
5/21 Seattle WA W Ronnie Garvin (NWA World Title)

8/3 Seattle WA w/Blanchard & Anderson & Windham L Road Warriors & Luger & Koloff (Cage Match)
9/20 Portland OR L DQ Top Gun (Dave Sierra NWA World Title)

1/11 Seattle WA W Sting (NWA World Title)
1/12 Portland OR W Sting (NWA World Title)

So if my addition is right, here are the number of NWA Championship defenses Ric Flair had in the Northwest and who his opponents were.

Brett Sawyer 7
Rocky Johnson 4
Buddy Rose 4
Terry Gibbs 2
Billy Jack Haynes 11
Roddy Piper 2
Rip Oliver 2
Tom Prichard 2
Curt Hennig 1
Bobby Jaggers 3
Karl Steiner 1
Magnum TA 1
Dusty Rhodes 4
Coco Samoa 1
Ronnie Garvin 1
Top Gun 1
Sting 2

Was it just VHS space issues? I remember in the late 1990's when WWE went back and released full versions of older WrestleManias on VHS, the quality was horrible.

Bill Watts addressed it once, as it was something he fought during his WCW tenure and tried to have changed. THE felt that rentals would be a hard sell for a three-hour tape. Watts of course made the obvious counter, that three-hour videos had not hurt the WWF in the rental market at all.

They made the switch sometime in 1993, but I'm not sure exactly when. As late as Beach Blast '93, they were still two hours, and as early as I believe Starrcade '93, they were unedited. So I guess somewhere in that window.

Then there's not releasing SuperBrawl IV commercially for who knows what reason.

Bill Watts addressed it once, as it was something he fought during his WCW tenure and tried to have changed. THE felt that rentals would be a hard sell for a three-hour tape. Watts of course made the obvious counter, that three-hour videos had not hurt the WWF in the rental market at all.

They made the switch sometime in 1993, but I'm not sure exactly when. As late as Beach Blast '93, they were still two hours, and as early as I believe Starrcade '93, they were unedited. So I guess somewhere in that window.

Then there's not releasing SuperBrawl IV commercially for who knows what reason.

Actually, though i havent seen them, i've heard that Halloween Havoc 98 and Souled Out 99 also have matches edited out of the tape.

Actually, though i havent seen them, i've heard that Halloween Havoc 98 and Souled Out 99 also have matches edited out of the tape.

Halloween Havoc '98 does have a couple matches chopped. Finlay-Wright and Wrath-Meng IIRC, maybe a third match. May have had to do with the event being 3 and half hours. Don't remember Souled Out having edits, but could be right.