Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/30 - 12/6

Strummer

"I have a sneaking suspicion that Raw is gonna be good tonight. ..." - Matt Striker on Twitter.

Mick Foley on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/RealMickFoley/posts/1184178598278943:0

I love Foley, but that post to me is just shilling socks and mentioning that someone suggested him for a storyline and got shot down.

It seems to be the opinion of most people who watch Raw, so it's not like anything he said was incredibly false or anything.

"I have a sneaking suspicion that Raw is gonna be good tonight. ..." - Matt Striker on Twitter.

Mick Foley on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/RealMickFoley/posts/1184178598278943:0

I love Foley, but that post to me is just shilling socks and mentioning that someone suggested him for a storyline and got shot down.

It seems to be the opinion of most people who watch Raw, so it's not like anything he said was incredibly false or anything.
Dude, don't be a dum dum. It's obviously not the opinion of most people, it's the opinion of most people you know who watch wrestling.

And that's not the point. Mixed into his using an Internet meme and saying that, is both "buy my shit" and "A guy there wants to do something with me that will fix things and be great but THE MAN won't do it." It's self promoting and the same thing he went on about in that third book about his "amazing" angle with Funk and Melina that got "ruined".

Co-opting "net nerd rage" with self promoting and ending with "buy my socks"? Ray Charles can see what that is really about and he's blind AND dead.

And I love Foley, carnies gonna carny...and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Read the results because I was curious what "big angle" the WWE would try to push. I guess it was the formation of the The League of Nations (Sheamus, Barrett, Rusev, Del Rio)?

Personally, I don't like the idea much. I get that its a way to put the heels together as some sort of dominate force, but Sheamus was already World Champion, Del Rio was already US Champion, and Rusev coming back with Lana seemed like it could've had legs on its own if they just let him come in and start destroying some guys (would love to see a Rusev/Neville match to that end because I think it'd be a really fun 8 minutes). Barrett gains what here? Credibility by association? I don't get the motivation for why these four would be teaming up when Del Rio has always been booked as a self-centered heel and Rusev should be booked as a guy whose only desire is to be a World Champion (not playing number 2 or 3). What is the basis for cooperation? What is the shared goal?

ECW Alums vs. Wyatts. People wondered how long the Dudleys' reunion tour would last. The fact that they're dipping into this long-depleted well makes me think not much longer.

Charlotte turning heel so suddenly seems like over-correction to me, but I'm not someone who was clamoring for her to be a heel and criticizing the WWE for doing otherwise. To me, this sort of turn could've waited a considerable amount of time. For example, I would've loved to see Alicia Fox pull a "Triple H after WM14"-like promo where she tells Nikki and Brie that they dropped the ball and now it is up to her to regain the Divas Championship for "Team Bella," only now, it is "Team Fox." Brie and Nikki wouldn't support her and could be storyline written off for a few months (which seems like whats happening to Nikki anyway) to return as faces or heels in time for Mania. Charlotte/Alicia may not have given us excellent matches, but Fox is an underrated performer and one who *always* gets some degree of heel heat. It wouldn't have hurt Charlotte, presented as a face, to be in the ring with someone that doesn't get more cheers than her.

Not that it is much of a defense but I think the expected usage rate of Dreamer on their shows vs Daniel Bryan is obviously tilted. They don't want to clear Bryan theoretically because Bryan is a full time wrestler who won't change his style. He can't be counted on to be part of storylines due to his injury history but his star power is such that it is practically demanded he be featured some way whenever he is there in a full capacity. The chances of Bryan reinjuring himself is considerably higher than the chances Dreamer would purely based on usage.

Not that it is much of a defense but I think the expected usage rate of Dreamer on their shows vs Daniel Bryan is obviously tilted. They don't want to clear Bryan theoretically because Bryan is a full time wrestler who won't change his style. He can't be counted on to be part of storylines due to his injury history but his star power is such that it is practically demanded he be featured some way whenever he is there in a full capacity. The chances of Bryan reinjuring himself is considerably higher than the chances Dreamer would purely based on usage.

That would make more sense if Dreamer wasn't going to be on a tables match at the PPV and already got put through one on Smackdown.

You can't say you want to take care of your wrestlers when you have broken down Dreamer doing something he shouldn't. Bryan doesn't know any better, neither does Dreamer.

And again, Christian is always left out of this conversation but he didn't have a risky style at all and was forced to retired after he got a concussion.

In all honesty I think this all comes down to who is relevant in 2015. Daniel Bryan had 70,000 plus people chanting 'Yes!' at WM30 and was easily one of the most over workers for that year and the year before. Tommy Dreamer is well known, but he isn't THAT over with the WWE fanbase or outside media when compared to Bryan. WWE would take a HUGE PR HIT if the beloved Daniel Bryan did something bad/died on WWE's watch vs. old man Tommy Dream where WWE could explain away other things. I also think it comes down to WWE believing Dreamer will not do anything too stupid until Bryan who was doing headbutt spots with Ziggler at WM31. Christian wasn't working a dangerous style, but he is another one that WWE would rather keep on papers (as the guy is a great personality) while keeping him in the back, because again Christian draws eyes and attention and if anything bad happens...WWE will have a very hard time explaining it. To me it really comes down to relevance. As curel as it sounds, WWE can 'afford' a Tommy Dreamer mis-hap and blame all of it on ECW and prior drug use and then sping the story about how much he loved wrestling and wanted to give back behind and in-front of the cameras after geting clean, etc.

Job posted by WWE today for NXT Live Event Marketing Manager, relevant part:

The WWE Live Event Marketing Team is currently seeking an individual for the position of Live Event NXT Marketing Manager. The successful candidate will develop and execute marketing/promotional plans for assigned NXT Live Events including NXT tapings at Full Sail Live as well as NXT Live Shows. He/she will also be responsible for directly managing all aspects of marketing, sales, and public relations for approximately 100 events annually.

How does that total compare to the number of events they are running right now? Seems like more?

We should really have an NXT thread for just NXT talk. I never know if I should post in this weekly WWE threads or the WWE Network thread. I just want to talk about NXT, not mixed-in with RAW or other Network things.

Agreed. NXT thread has been created.

That would make more sense if Dreamer wasn't going to be on a tables match at the PPV and already got put through one on Smackdown.

You can't say you want to take care of your wrestlers when you have broken down Dreamer doing something he shouldn't. Bryan doesn't know any better, neither does Dreamer.

And again, Christian is always left out of this conversation but he didn't have a risky style at all and was forced to retired after he got a concussion.

I didn't bring up Christian because he is a guy that I agree with you that the WWE is being hypocritical about the issue. However I should note that its just a very possible scenario that they are actually not that concerned about Christian's health, but that it was something they can make logkcal sounding excuse to 1. write out the guy that Vince actually never saw as a star and that he was an ugly looking guy who couldn't reach Vince's preferred note that the champion is a guy men wanted to hang out with or provide inspiration for themselves and that women wants to fuck him. Then 2. It gives them an easy example to provide when they try to convince people that they care about their wrestlers' health. Especially in the wake of CM Punk's shoot.

Now the other thing is sure, Tommy Dreamer is going to risk himself going through tables but much like when they booked Shane McMahon as a fearless daredevil that would do incredible and incredibly stupid stunts. I remember the wrestlers being upset that Shane got to shine the few times he wrestled because he could afford to just go home whenever he felt like it to heal up all the possible injuries Shane may have suffered through. The others didn't have that luxury. They had to drive to the next town and continuing on without a break or a "bye week". So I see Dreamer in a similar situation. Dreamer isn't gonna wrestle again for a long while or however he feels like it. Two table spots are easier for the WWE to deal with than the guy who does have to drive to the next town for the next show if he comes back as a full time wrestler and does suicide dives night in and night out because the suicide dive isn't something he saves for special WWE network event. It is actually part of his everyday moveset and doing it as his signature move much like Flair's getting thrown off the top of the turnbuckle and never being smart enough to know that spot never succeeds but he still does it because goddamn it the fans expects that out of every Flair match. Also the suicide dive isn't all that he does frequently but should be scaling back and removing the diving headbutt from his everyday moveset. Harley Race warns people not to do the headbutt because its inherently a tough spot to recover from and then theres that theory surrounding the Chris Benoit situation that part of why he snapped was because his mental capacity was that of a 60 year old alzheimer's patient and tbe headbutt has been the popular assumption of what caused that much damage to his brain. Bryan will do headbutts when he comes back because he is stubborn and thinks thats part of what people like to see from him. So no, a guy with his injury history and proved to be capable of lying to the WWE and hiding his injuries. What can Vince do with that?