Pro Wrestling Only

"Political Hit"

soup23

Political Hit  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a political hit out on Roman Reigns

• Yes
    • No

Man, if we tried to tell people about the wrestling business...they'd never believe us.

Oh my god, you just made me think of the idea of a wrestling-themed version of Monty Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch.

"We had to show up at the building at one o'clock in the morning, drink a glass of boiling steroids, wrestle eleven days per week and pay the promotion to get booked on the card, and when we got back to the locker room the promoter would strangle us to death with a weight belt while whispering in our ear that we young kids didn't know how to work!"

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How has there not been a "comedy of errors" style play/movie about a haphazard wrestling promotion? You don't even need to dream up fantasy scenarios , just take bits from the various WWE/WCW/TNA backstage stories.

People would think that it was too hokey/unbelievable.

How has there not been a "comedy of errors" style play/movie about a haphazard wrestling promotion? You don't even need to dream up fantasy scenarios , just take bits from the various WWE/WCW/TNA backstage stories.

Every current or former booker/promoter would sue citing that it was based on their life story

Something I've thought about regarding the Vince McMahon "stab me in the gut and take it from me" comment of late...

Stephanie McMahon, and I'm sure this will pain a lot of people to see this, but it's true, is a wrestling person. As far as I know, she has never worked for a company that is not WWE. She is married to a wrestler. As far as I know, she has limited connections outside of the world of wrestling. That may have expanded somewhat with the "Be a Star" stuff and the other philanthropy things she's done over the past few years, but by and large, she's pretty much within the wrestling bubble.

Shane McMahon has spent the past seven years outside of wrestling. He's developed some connections in China, and was successful in launching a company in China, even if it largely was a failure. He has the sports management company which represents Rory McIlroy. His wife Marissa is an heiress to the Mazzola corn oil fortune. He has legitimate contacts outside of wrestling, and more importantly, connections to money.

Could Shane McMahon create a consortium that could buy out Vince? It seems crazy on the surface, because nobody can picture Vince retired and not being involved with wrestling, but if Vince wanted to pass down the company while he was still alive, I could see him asking of his son what his own father asked of him in the early 80's, and buy him out. Could Shane raise enough money to do that? What would that price even be? A billion? I don't know if Shane could raise that much, but I also feel quite confident that he could outspend Stephanie if he wanted to try to buy Vince out. What better way to take the company from Vince than to make him a Godfather offer for the company. And because WWE is publicly traded, if they were made a legitimate offer by a McMahon heir to buy Vince out, he might have to actually listen to that. What if that was Shane's play the past few years, trying to open doors to find the money to buy out Vince, since Vince wasn't willing to hand it over?

This all might be legitimately crazy. I have no idea. But it's something I've been thinking about since I saw the "stab me in the gut and take it from me" line and I wonder if it's something Shane could realistically try to pull off.

It would make Vince look weaker if his kids are scheming against him and regardless of whether it succeeded or failed, would show that there are doubts in his ability to continue to lead. I wouldn't be surprised if Vince wanted the story killed off as well. Again it is just my guess but it would explain a lot about what has happened since then. They even made a storyline out of it with Triple H and I do not think it's something they would have come up with out of the blue. It always felt to me like it was a reactionary thing after a real life situation.

So according to last week's WON, the value of Vince's stock is worth around $792m. Which means I'd think Shane would need to make an offer of at least the value of his stock, and probably at least a little bit more, in order to entice Vince to sell. So probably at least north of $900m, and perhaps approaching $1B, and I can see a man of Vince's massive ego not accepting any total less than a billion just for the ego boost that comes with having created a billion dollar company, as opposed to merely a $900m one.

The Shane story, as far as I can recall, and assuming this is what Dave is talking about and not some secret, unreported thing, is about the time just before he left the company. Was it ECW? When they relaunched ECW and initially had it as its own touring brand in separate venues...Shane wanted to take ECW for himself, have complete autonomy over the brand to sort of show that he could run a wrestling company on his own. And at the last minute, Vince pulled the rug out from under him and that didn't happen. That was the frustration that lead to Shane leaving the fold entirely.

I am sooo iffy on the details, maybe he was going to get Smackdown or something, someone who has access to the Observers will have to dig it up. But it was something, vaguely, like that. Shane tried to take a brand for himself (like a real life version of the WCW takeover) and failed. It wasn't a back stabbing thing, more just a brass ring thing.

Nah. Vince's ego would make it that Shane or whoever else wanted the company from him is going to have to pay the equivalent of what the entire company is valued at...not just his shares of it but the whole thing. This includes the value of their properties in Connecticut and Florida and wherever else plus the value of their television contract and whatever else Vince can think of. He isn't going to make it easy for anybody to buy it, and if someone actually did, Vince would only drive it further up. He's not sellibg anything that's not listed in the Shopzone section of the website.

The ECW definitely happened and yes Shane had feelings hurt over Vince listening to his sister over him about all of it but that doesn't sound ruthless as implied here. So this is why I leaped to that thought process but yeah could very well just have been that all along.

Wasn't Shane behind that crazy idea of worldwide WWE "territories"? There was an idea to have a North American branch, a European branch, a Mexican branch etc etc. I'm sure I remember WON letters at the time (07-08) saying that was his brainchild. Seems like a fucking crazy thing to suggest if you weren't thinking of steering a company in your direction in some fashion.