Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List Part One

Grimmas

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Candido at #85 to me, and the drawing line to : okay, maybe not enough body of work to call them one of the top 100, but I want to represent them. Contrary to Dylan, Candido's stint in ECW made his stock rise with me. His SMW work, although he was green, was more positive to add to his resume. I also enjoyed his post ECW/WCW indy work, as random as it was. Of course, he doesn't have the great matches. His death was really a stupid tragedy.

Kohsaka at #91, because he's half of my favourite match of all time. If I had a more complete overlook on his career, he may have been higher, or not represented at all. Probably higher.

Bradshaw, fucking hell. Most of his votes should probably be added to Eddie Guerrero's total since he is taken seriously almost entirely on the basis of that match. Luke Harper and Earthquake over Yamada or even Morishima is pretty crazy to me as well.

Are you discounting Harper's indie run? I took Tenta over Yamada and Morishima, as both of those didn't make my list and Tenta did.

Bradshaw, fucking hell. Most of his votes should probably be added to Eddie Guerrero's total since he is taken seriously almost entirely on the basis of that match. Luke Harper and Earthquake over Yamada or even Morishima is pretty crazy to me as well.

Are you discounting Harper's indie run? I took Tenta over Yamada and Morishima, as both of those didn't make my list and Tenta did.

Only seen a couple of indie matches IIRC from Luke Harper so if he is in there on the basis of that stuff, fair enough.

I can't imagine anyone thinking Tenta was a better fat guy than Morishima for anything other than childhood nostalgia - on the simple metric of great matches he lags for behind for a start. Morishima has more athleticism, energy, better on offence, better bumper. Hard to compare as the two styles they work are about as vastly different as you get.

I honestly don't remember any Lizmark stuff from the 80s set. There are a ton of guys that stand out from that set to me but he isn't one of them.

Adrian Street is another guy gone off my list. He did pretty good for a guy from his era who had no votes in 2006.

I don't think he said it was ONLY based on 10 or so match. It seemed like just an abbreviated point.

I think Rick has a really cool little case. I see him as a reasonable bottom of the list guy if you value tag wresting a lot, like that they had sort of a unique set of moves for their time and place, and especially if you value how his unique face character was brought into the working of the matches themselves.

Let's just be diplomatic and say some people weighted "number of great matches" more heavily than others when putting together their ballot.

Like I can't really say I've seen any GREAT Adrian Street matches but I've seen some great performances of Adrian Street being Adrian Street.

That's probably the best assessment. Number of great matches being weighted so heavily bugged me a lot, especially if it was more important than how someone performs.

Some people were just in positions to have a TON of great matches and to have those seen by a lot of people. Others did not. The folks who didn't get those chances aren't necessarily worse than those who did.

Being in position means they still have to take advantage of that opportunity. And doing so may very well be why they're so often put in such a position.

I should eventually check out Noble's ROH run because him being on 12 ballots seems crazy and I'm about as big a fan of his WWE run as there is.

I am a bit of an ROH mark, at least until probably 2010 or so, but I thought it was very solid. Not a lot of it stands out as elite or anything, but had some good matches and really shined at times. I think his best overall performance was probably the 4 way match, followed by the title match with Dragon (surprise surprise). It is worth checking into.

Scott Norton, The Barbarian, One Man Gang, Jacques Rougeau, Yokozuna, Don Muraco, John Tenta & Jamie Noble are all on my list. I have also not been the sole voter on any of them, so I'm feeling pretty good so far. This has been really fun! I'm really glad that I participated. :wub:

Im saddened that the Iron Sheik was only on 7 ballots. I was almost the high vote on him, love the guy.

He was my 101, one place above the Rock at 102. There was a moment on the WTBBP special where I think Chad thought he was going to come in at 100 but I rescued Ron Garvin and then aftrer the show remebered that Buddy Rose should have been there.

Im saddened that the Iron Sheik was only on 7 ballots. I was almost the high vote on him, love the guy.

He was my 101, one place above the Rock at 102. There was a moment on the WTBBP special where I think Chad thought he was going to come in at 100 but I rescued Ron Garvin and then aftrer the show remebered that Buddy Rose should have been there.

You mean Buddy Rhodes?

Was that Dump who ranked in 2006 Grimmas?

Girlies are dropping like flies.

Yep, she was 79 last time.

Joshi fandom was at an all-time high in 2006... it isn't now.

To be fair I think Joshi fandom was long in decline even then - it is just that Smarkschoice was pretty much the house board for that style.

Edit: Snap, El-P above.

Dump is a weird case because even the people who were all in on joshi didn't seem that high on ranking her this time around in her thread or the joshi thread. I do think it also says a lot about the state of joshi fandom from then to now though.

Another strong joshi worker bites the dust. Hyuga. From my memories from her early years as Tomoko Kuzumi + the beginning of Hyuga, she placed #58 in my list. Had I followed joshi in the 00's and beyond, from what I can tell, she would have gone much much higher. Terrific worker.