Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Extreme Rules 2016

Superstar Sleeze

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last couple of pages were filled with people saying that fans booing Roman are dummies trying to look cool, and literally the only thing that has changed is he was programmed with one of the best in ring guys in the business. Yes, he's holding up his end of the deal much better than he had been, but he's being rejected so soundly as the top guy that teaming with him essentially turned the Usos heel.

How many times is he going to get laid out to thunderous ovations before the message gets through?

It'll be interesting to see at the end of the year how the Roman matches compare with other matches Styles will have in the next 6 months. For all the talk about Roman "holding up his end" of matches, Brock and the Big Show didn't have better matches with anyone else in 2015, and Reigns has had much better matches with AJ than Jericho did.

He's been more than holding up his end of the deal pretty much the whole time. Fans are so stuck on the 2015 Royal Rumble that they can't move past it.

Loss is right except for in the middle of the summer he was programmed with the blackhole of suck the Wyatt's so people forgot about the Bryan, Lesnar and Big Show matches. By end of 2015, the Sheamus matches were great saw TLC live and that was awesome. The triple threat at Feb PPV was friggin bitchin. The HHH match I need to watch again because after 6 hours I was exhausted. The AJ matches are incredible. Badda bing badda boom Reigns is the realest guy in the room, how you doin?

Roman/AJ was absolutely outstanding. Both guys deserve a ton of credit for having a great match.

But can I nitpick something? When AJ was beating the tar out of everyone with the chair, was it really necessary to go to the stupid bouncy/zoom in-zoom back out right away camera trick? Here's Styles -- a guy getting his shot on the big stage and desperately doing whatever he has to do to win -- going absolutely bonkers with a chair, and instead of locking in on a steady shot to let the carnage and Styles' will to win sink in w/ the viewer, the camera work is giving everyone a seizure and making the moment seem like a silly trick.

It didn't ruin the match or anything, but it's stupid shit like that that bothers me about modern WWE.

Even though I don't agree with it, I don't have any issue with the crowd chants or response to Reigns. Its a challenge for bookers and performers to work around. They've adjusted pretty well thus far by ending the pandering babyface role and having come down the aisles and go with the tweener "the guy" act. At the end of the day what matters is whether and how it moves/maintains numbers.

If the crowd treated him and his matches like Jericho/Ambrose there'd be a huge problem. Engagement is engagement and they've got something to work with even if its not what they originally planned for.

Styles lost three of the last four WWE PPV matches he's been in (not counting the Royal Rumble) and three in a row. For all of the "well, it's an honor he's main eventing at all so soon" sentiment I'm sure is going around, it's the typical Rob Van Dam/Booker T/Chris Benoit push that led to them being cast as glorified midcarders who got an occasional taste at the top to keep the belt warm for the "real" stars and never became effective draws themselves because they were so constantly neutered.

Don't get me wrong: his matches were Reigns were still damn fun (the less said about the Jericho snoozefest or hokey Y2AJ team the better), but it doesn't change the reality of where AJ really stands.

For all of the hype about Anderson, Gallows, and the Bullet Club, nothing actually happened. No Finn Balor, no stable formation, no real developments of any kind. Sure, the build was entertaining enough, but the payoff - as always - ended with a whimper. And the worst part is, I called it from the very beginning. I knew everyone else's wild expectations were unrealistic.

Just to be clear, I knew AJ wasn't winning last night. I knew he wasn't winning at the PPV before that. So I'm not surprised or upset or offended or anything like that. They're all in on the Reigns push, for better or worse, and that's fine. I'm just resigned to it. I feel for Reigns, who usually has good matches, but nothing he does with his character is working or has ever worked.

I hope AJ wins Money in the Bank. That would at least let his fans know that he's still in the mix and there's something to look forward to in the future.

The last couple of pages were filled with people saying that fans booing Roman are dummies trying to look cool, and literally the only thing that has changed is he was programmed with one of the best in ring guys in the business. Yes, he's holding up his end of the deal much better than he had been, but he's being rejected so soundly as the top guy that teaming with him essentially turned the Usos heel.

How many times is he going to get laid out to thunderous ovations before the message gets through?

Why in the world should the WWE listen to fans that are so stupid they chant "You can't wrestle" at a guy having an incredible year instead of someone who actually DOES suck like Chris Jericho? (or Dean Ambrose for that matter)

He's been more than holding up his end of the deal pretty much the whole time. Fans are so stuck on the 2015 Royal Rumble that they can't move past it.

Loss is right except for in the middle of the summer he was programmed with the blackhole of suck the Wyatt's so people forgot about the Bryan, Lesnar and Big Show matches. By end of 2015, the Sheamus matches were great saw TLC live and that was awesome. The triple threat at Feb PPV was friggin bitchin. The HHH match I need to watch again because after 6 hours I was exhausted. The AJ matches are incredible. Badda bing badda boom Reigns is the realest guy in the room, how you doin?

And yea that TLC match is one of the most brutal matches in WWE history and just WAY better than it gets credit for because people were too caught up being butt hurt about it being Reigns & Sheamus in the main event.

Why in the world should the WWE listen to fans that are so stupid they chant "You can't wrestle" at a guy having an incredible year instead of someone who actually DOES suck like Chris Jericho? (or Dean Ambrose for that matter)

Because the fact that a few fans on the internet enjoy someone's work doesn't mean that the fans in the building don't have a right to taunt Reigns. If you think their chants are bullshit, that's fine, but people can dislike Reigns for whatever reason they want. And they do.

The notion that Reigns has become some amazing worker because he willingly took a beating from Sheamus and looked good in a gimmick three way in February is a little overblown, and consciously contrarian. He's spent the last two months in the ring with a guy who was arguably the wrestler of the year both of the past two years and has been having high level matches with a variety of opponents all over the world. If he couldn't have a good match with Styles, he'd be a legitimately terrible worker, which he's not. He's perfectly acceptable and does the WWE Main Event Style well enough. That would probably be fine with most fans if the booking for him hadn't been dog shit until about a month ago. But hey, it was. The way he was booked at this Rumble, supposedly a big moment for him, was so unconscionably bad if they wanted fans to get behind him.

The idea of him being more of a tweener, and certainly not pandering, seems to be helping. But the two years of bad booking have left a really bad taste in my mouth. I couldn't get around to seeing the PPV until after midnight last night, and I skipped the main event because it was too late and I was too tired to be annoyed by a Reigns win. I've got a visceral negative reaction to the guy, and I'm clearly not alone.

I don't care if people boo him but chanting "You Can't Wrestle" at a guy who has been probably the best PPV performer going back to the Brock match at last year's Mania is really stupid.

And the idea that "he's not over" when he gets the loudest reactions at every single show he is on is blatantly false. Who cares if he's not getting cheered when he's still a big merchandise seller? He's a heel to the "OMG WWE is the worst (but let me keep giving them a bunch of money)" crowd and gets cheers from kids/women and people who buy tickets to house shows.

It may be stupid, but its the company's job to work with the audience and ideally manipulate them. No different than at any other point.

And they have by changing his presentation since WrestleMania. What else are they supposed to do? Just fire a guy who is a top merchandise seller and gets the loudest reactions on every show, regardless of if it's the reaction they "want" him to get? I wouldn't change course with him either. Keep presenting him as a tweener the way they are now.

I'm not sure how you could look at them pairing him against smark darlings like AJ & Rollins as anything BUT manipulating the crowd.