Pro Wrestling Only

Smackdown moving to Tuesday and going live

Cox

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are open to rehiring recently released guys, then Masters and Galloway should be top priority selections for sure.

If they are looking to reach back into that mid-2000's mix, then I actually think Carlito and Benjamin are quality picks.

Not sure what it'd take to convince Carly to take the schedule again, since he's been pretty vocal about how miserable and unmotivated he was throughout MOST of his time there before. And the knock against Shelton was that he couldn't talk - and when he was required to talk, he always shut his eyes on camera. Apparently that was a big "no no" with Dunn and company, and so nobody ever really got behind him past a certain level.

Looking back now, it's crazy that MVP and Kennedy were once kind of considered to be the "future" stars of the company. Wouldn't be TOO shocked to see either of them offered something to come back. Kennedy's obviously a less likely rehire, but it wouldn't be absurd or anything. He's never been anything great from bell to bell, but there have been brief flashes and glimpses where he at least sounded like a star. He's had no shine to speak of in years, but there was a time & a place when he carried a certain charm and sense of showmanship.

In any case, I feel like MVP is a much safer bet. He'd be perfectly passable as another mid-carder in the mix. I could see them speaking with him about a short-term deal.

I'd love to see the guy back and regularly competing on TV, but is Rey really open to even consider crossing that bridge again already?

If they can't sign Mysterio, then Jeff Hardy would actually be a nice consolation (if you can even call it that) signing for them. What I mean by that is - either guy could slide almost seamlessly into that 1A or 1B babyface spot on SmackDown for them. They've both got pre-existing, built-in fan bases to some extent. And both would bring in a tidal wave of more merch money along with 'em.

The issue with Hardy is (again) probably going to be a matter of dates, travel, and so on. And I don't fault the guy. If he's comfortable with the living he's making - while simultaneously pursuing his other hobbies AND having time with his family - then it'd take a lot to convince anyone in that spot to do something else instead.

Morrison would be an awesome addition, but I have zero faith in them utilizing him HALF as well as Lucha Underground. I realize that's petty and selfish, but as a fan? I prefer Johnny to stay put and stay Mundo for the time being.

Rey and Morrison are under contract to LU, Drew is to TNA, and doesn't Shelton have some kind of Japan deal? I don't discount that WWE may want some of all of the names mentioned, but its funny how a lot of folks seem to think they can just grab anyone they want regardless of contract status.

It just shows how much of a failure this brand split is going to be if they dont think they have the talent now to carry it.

The problem is always the same, they incapable of making new stars.

Or I should say they don't want new stars, they only interested in pushing the brand.

The treatment of how Daniel Bryan was pushed, how the woman's division being booked.

How Dean Ambrose been made to look in all his feuds, until he losses any momentum that he had.

How they cant see Roman Reigns needed to be turned a heel months ago and Seth Rollins should have of come back as a face.

The company been out of touch for years, this split may just be the thing which losses them there tv business altogether.

Until they revaluate there whole business model, nothing going to change.

I don't think the business model needs change - they're making plenty of money. But with 5 hours of live TV a week and three touring brands out every weekend, they do need bodies. I don't think MVP or Kennedy or Stevie Richards are going to make one iota of difference at the box office or ratings, but I doubt they're coming in to headline, just fill out the lower card.

When i say business model, I mean there business model on how they book the shows.

They need to get over there inferiority complex and get rid of 90% of the writers.

I think because other TV shows have writers, they feel they need them too.

So they can clam they are in the entertainment business and not the wrestling business.

They need to stop being scared of heels getting heat and cut down on the stupid comedy.

I think if they booked like a wrestling promotion, instead of a two and a half men knock off.

They might find there's a rise in there TV shows viewership.

BRING BACK BOB HOLLY!

Yes please! One of the best veteran midcarders of the original brand split era. Awesome mini feud with JBL on SD In 04-05, fun low card matches vs Sylvan and Orlando Jordan, awesome underrated tag teams with Haas and Billy Gunn, plus the later ECW work including his classic vs RVD.

Of the names mentioned, I think Carlito and Shelton are the most likely ones. I think Jeff Hardy in time maybe since he's expressed interest but not soon. I support bringing back every one of those names mentioned though. Would love to see Kurt back but just can't see it happening.

I predict we won't see many, if any, "big" returns.

I haven't watched in close to two months (aside from the Network specials) but aren't they keeping Kane, Show, and Henry on ice? All three seem like surefire returns to Smackdown to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Boogeyman show back up either as he seems to have maintained a decent relationship with the company (he appeared on Swerved at one point) and has the kind of gimmick that could consistently answer the question "What do you wanna fill segment 4 with this week?"

As mentioned earlier, I would be really surprised if Jeff Hardy, Galloway, Morrison, or Mysterio popped up due to contractual obligations. When all remember how LU handled the Hernandez situation. There is no way in hell Mysterio is going back to WWE without a huge legal fight or WWE making some kind of "trade" deal (that also involves cash) for Mysterio and Morrison. In return Sin Cara, No Way Jose, Eva Marie, and The Colons make the rounds in LU season 4. Actually, when I type that out that doesn't really seem all THAT crazy.

When Kofi Kingston debuted I knew Benjamin's days were numbered. Kofi was younger, doing cool spots, could actually promo, and was over. He had a catchphrase, mannerisms people could do, etc. I haven't watch Shelton Benjamin for the last 2 years or so, but I wouldn't be too excited if he came back. I've never been high on MVP or Kennedy and I would hate to see either of them back in WWE. Angle is such a risky guy to bring in. Let's forget about the neck and the physical health issues for a moment. The DUIs, the domestic abuse stuff, the stalking drama, and some of the other stuff that has gone on in his personal life would make WWE absolutely batshit to bring him back on a full time basis. Its one thing if they want Angle to come in and do a SS match, sign him to a legends deal, have him do a WM, and then go into the HOF in 2018 while making random autograph signings, being an on-air personality of some sort, and perhaps even giving the guy his own WWE Network Show. WWE would pay Angle all this money to essentially wrestle (no more) than 5 matches (though it should probably be 3 if anything) in a 2-3 year time span.

Too many obstacles to bring back these 'older' guys. And Stevie Richards? Why? He was barely over when he left? I am sure no one missed him and I think outside of his family and close friends, no one is clamoring for a Richards return. I loved him as Dr. Stevie and I thought that was some of his best stuff in a long time, but a return in 2016? How does DDP feel about wrestling every Tuesday night?

I agree with the above post about not seeing any "big returns" on the horizon. It will probably be guys who already have a working relationship with WWE, someone like Brian Kendrick. Based on his last NXT run, I wouldn't be upset if Rhino showed up for a few months and worked in the lower card and seeing how Tajiri is working the CWC, I can see that being a nice re-introduction into the main brand while he continues to works in Japan. Despite all of this wishful thinking and the fantasy booking, the most realisitic (and most un-welcomed) return will be RVD.

I wonder if Tatanka will be brought back again? He was in the Andre battle royal at WM and got a good response. It'd be unprecedented (I think) for a guy to return after a ten year absence once, and then another ten year absence as a full time roster guy again. I guess Animal was similar but he wasn't quite as long between runs. I could see Too Cool returning as well if they want to beef up two separate tag divisions.

I don't think there's gonna be much, if any, old timers or returns. I'd guees the opposite is the case and there's gonna be quite a few call-ups from NXT, especially for Smackdown.

They still might bring someone in for the pop and name value, but if so, my guess would be USA once again putting pressure on them.

Yeah, I think all this talk of 'they need people to fill both shows' is kinda over-doing it. Even if WWE just decided to bring 'up' Nakamura, Asuka, KENTA, American Alpha, Bayley, Finn, Joe, and two others - All shows will still have enough people and NXT would still have Dillinger, The Revival, Alexa Bliss, Aries, Young, and some other good acts as well.

Yeah, I think all this talk of 'they need people to fill both shows' is kinda over-doing it. Even if WWE just decided to bring 'up' Nakamura, Asuka, KENTA, American Alpha, Bayley, Finn, Joe, and two others - All shows will still have enough people and NXT would still have Dillinger, The Revival, Alexa Bliss, Aries, Young, and some other good acts as well.

I'm sure they'll be able to draw 300 fans around central Florida, but without big names, willl they still be able to sell out (or close to it) in Indianapolis or Milwaukee?