Pro Wrestling Only

Smackdown moving to Tuesday and going live

Cox

What he also said with regards to the Styles turn is that if people read between the lines, that angle should answer a lot of questions about their plans for the next few months. So I'm guessing AJ Styles will be a heel champion on Smackdown.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What thye should do is change the entire "Smackdown" brand. It has the B-show-that-doesn't-matter stigma for ever now, and the name evoques a catchphrase from the biggest star of the early 00's. It's like WWE had a show called "Watcha gonna do ?" in 2001, really...

What he also said with regards to the Styles turn is that if people read between the lines, that angle should answer a lot of questions about their plans for the next few months. So I'm guessing AJ Styles will be a heel champion on Smackdown.

I was thinking that, or at least AJ/Cena as the top Smackdown feud for the summer.

How about a 6 sided ring :unsure:

My thought exactly!

I'd welcome a complete overhaul of Smackdown. And with that I mean complete. New set, new appearance, hell I'd even like to have a different name. But I'm afraid that's not gonna happen because Smackdown is a brand, and even if it's one with negative connotations, it's still regocnizable. And after all, we all know how much WWE loves change. So no real hope there imo, although I think it's what would be best for business.

Mulling this as a possibility:

You port one of these programs for a mid title feud over to Smackdown (my preference: IC)

You make Smackdown a new hybrid of NXT and the main roster, and port those champions to the second show. Use Smackdown to then plug NXT on the network the next night, have an occasional crossover, but start building it as more developmental. Maybe a weekly tv main event on NXT from the main roster with the usual squash matches on NXT.

It's not ideal (I'd prefer to have one tag champ and one women's champ). Balor/Joe, Asuka/Bayley and American Alpha can stand with anyone as "Champions."

I like the idea on the merits, but it sounds like the issue at hand that prompted all of this is that USA wants Smackdown ratings up because they are paying a lot of money for it. So I think Smackdown needs heavy presence of big names (read: The only difference maker, John Cena) if that's the main goal.

I don't think that this Brand Split is going to help guys like John Cena, Roman Reigns or the already established vets like Brock or 'Taker. Whom is really going to shine here, IMO, is all the upper mid-carders currently trading wins with one-another. Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt, Rusev and guys like that. So it could be pretty fun to see some of those guys actually presented as World Title contenders/holders.

Really hope that Samoa Joe gets a shot on the main rosters. Even if his entrance theme is the drizzling shits.

I wonder how Cody Rhodes feels about demanding his release right before what could be a potential opportunity for advancement came up. Ditto Ryback.

And I similarly wonder what the fuck WWE were thinking releasing Sandow, a guy who was clearly popular (no thanks to them) right when they could use a guy just like him to fill a spot on the card. Weird.

I don't think that this Brand Split is going to help guys like John Cena, Roman Reigns or the already established vets like Brock or 'Taker. Whom is really going to shine here, IMO, is all the upper mid-carders currently trading wins with one-another. Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt, Rusev and guys like that. So it could be pretty fun to see some of those guys actually presented as World Title contenders/holders.

Really hope that Samoa Joe gets a shot on the main rosters. Even if his entrance theme is the drizzling shits.

I wonder how Cody Rhodes feels about demanding his release right before what could be a potential opportunity for advancement came up. Ditto Ryback.

And I similarly wonder what the fuck WWE were thinking releasing Sandow, a guy who was clearly popular (no thanks to them) right when they could use a guy just like him to fill a spot on the card. Weird.

You said it right there. He was popular, but not thanks to them. Can't have that happening.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave with this cryptic tweet about the brand split:

WWE just realized they have to fill two rosters, calling lots of 40+ year old guys to return for the new era.

He rarely breaks news (or whatever this is) via Twitter so this is a surprise. Who is floating around out there that would be available and who they'd use? RVD? MVP? Someone else solely defined by his initials?

There's lots of guys you could bring back. Shelton Benjamin, RVD, MVP, Finlay, Rhino, New Age Outlaws, etc.

None of those names excite me...

RVD is played out.

Finlay who I love, has to be getting up there in years.

Shelton never drew a dime or connected the dots. Even though people were always clamoring for him to get a bigger push, he was overpushed if anything.

NAO, been there done that with The Ascension and no one gave a fuck.

MVP, maybe, but if they were going to do anything substantial with him, it would have been years ago, not now.

Hopefully they'll have the good sense to bring Chris Masters back. Drew Galloway would be good to bring back as well. Those are two guys who have around 10 years of good production left in them, have potential to be bigger stars than they were in their previous runs and would have no problem fitting in with guys who are already on the roster. Evan Bourne/Matt Sydal would be a good person to bring back too although I don't see that happening.

Not sure who else is out there that really fits that criteria because they definitely do not need to be bringing back old tired acts like RVD, NAO or MVP. I'd be ok with Finlay being on TV again, and he's already with the company as an agent, although I really doubt he's going to start wrestling again.

I don't really see how they need all these new people.

I don't either. They have enough talent to have two full rosters. There are a ton of guys who have just been languishing doing absolutely nothing that could be back on TV to fill out the midcard. They could also actually start developing guys they've called up from NXT and just thrown out there in pointless matches like Apollo Crews.

My point was that if they're going to hit the panic button of "oh my god we need to bring back these guys who used to work here!" then at least bring back guys who have potential to do more than get a few nostalgia pops and then immediately fall into being stale and tired like RVD would. I feel like I'm about to throw up when I see people on twitter talking about how WWE should bring back Ken f'n Kennedy.

as an aside WWE TV has had a real "lame duck" feel to it since the announcement of the split. Seems like everyone is just waiting for the draft on July 18 and then the product is "current' again. The lack of discussion of the current product the last 3 weeks or so here (and a lot of other places) seems to back that up

with that tweet from Dave it seems the company is going at this rather haphazardly and was caught off guard by the USA Network here. Its like they are finally realizing they have to fill up 5 live first run hours of TV in a 2 day span every week

There's lots of guys you could bring back. Shelton Benjamin, RVD, MVP, Finlay, Rhino, New Age Outlaws, etc.

None of those names excite me...

RVD is played out.

Finlay who I love, has to be getting up there in years.

Shelton never drew a dime or connected the dots. Even though people were always clamoring for him to get a bigger push, he was overpushed if anything.

NAO, been there done that with The Ascension and no one gave a fuck.

MVP, maybe, but if they were going to do anything substantial with him, it would have been years ago, not now.

I wasn't trying to say those are good options. Just there are plenty of bodies out there for them to fill TV time with.

as an aside WWE TV has had a real "lame duck" feel to it since the announcement of the split. Seems like everyone is just waiting for the draft on July 18 and then the product is "current' again. The lack of discussion of the current product the last 3 weeks or so here (and a lot of other places) seems to back that up

with that tweet from Dave it seems the company is going at this rather haphazardly and was caught off guard by the USA Network here. Its like they are finally realizing they have to fill up 5 live first run hours of TV in a 2 day span every week

While I agree it does seem WWE was caught off guard by USA, on the other hand wtf did they expect to happen? USA was probably expecting to get a show somewhat equal to Raw, and WWE didn't even bother with the usual 2 month courtesy attempt of making SD relevant they usually do when the show moves.