Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV Aug 15-21

Ricky Jackson

I'm back to fast forwarding through segments I can't sit through and hitting the highlights. I enjoyed the Brock/Slater segment. I'm switching over to Hulu Plus in a few weeks, so I'm wondering how that will affect my opinion on the show as a whole. It seems like it might be more enjoyable with some of the fat trimmed. That being said, I was one of the ones praising that first three hour Raw after the draft.

I wouldn't be upset with a Bully Ray WWE run. Bully Ray attempting to show Kota Ibushi 'who's the boss' will be fun!

WWE really needs to learn how to do a go home show without blowing its load on everything. Rusev/Reigns before SummerSlam? Demon debut? I'm expecting Smackdown! to do the same thing now and passed off in some bizarre narrative as trying to out-do Raw by having Miz/Crews go one-on-one.

It took some time for him to overcome the hill of terribleness, but Jericho is now one of my favorite acts in 2016--ain't that a bitch! Didn't see that coming.

Nothing quite highlights the problem with 3 Hour Raws than hotshotting the Demon's debut and Roman vs Rusev two weeks before Summerslam, even in a world where these guys don't have to be on Smackdown.

You really want to watch SummerSlam now after that already overlong Rusev vs Reigns match on TV, don't you ? And to get that cool Demon entrance that you only get to see on majo… ok nevermind.

SummerSlam doesn't look appealing one bit to me. Is there a NXT show the same week-end like last year (which was great) ?

Nothing quite highlights the problem with 3 Hour Raws than hotshotting the Demon's debut and Roman vs Rusev two weeks before Summerslam, even in a world where these guys don't have to be on Smackdown.

You really want to watch SummerSlam now after that already overlong Rusev vs Reigns match on TV, don't you ? And to get that cool Demon entrance that you only get to see on majo… ok nevermind.

SummerSlam doesn't look appealing one bit to me. Is there a NXT show the same week-end like last year (which was great) ?

Yes:

Nakamura vs Samoa Joe ©

Asuka © vs Bayley II

Revival vs Gargano/Ciampa

Aries vs No Way Jose (you'd find him amusing in short doses)

Almas (Sombra) vs Roode

Debut of Ember Moon(Athena)?

Not following weekly NXT, but Nakamura vs Joe, Asuka vs Bayley and a Revival tag match is already way more appealing to me than anything at SummerSlam.

Is that Athena from TNA "fame" 14 years ago ? If so, with Aries and Roode, TNA seems to be the home of old TNA talent, which is both cool and ironic.

Yeah, I'm watching that show.

Raw booking made no sense whatsoever as a go-home show. You can't put heat on a feud by having the heel lose clean 6 days before the PPV. And the demon thing was wasted too, though I'm surely not the only one to find that whole get up incredibly lame.

Smackdown got screwed in the draft, but damn is the booking awesome for the talent they have. The show is blowing away Raw almost every week now. A month in and I skipped Raw this week, but not Smackdown.

Curt Hawkins videos are great.

Heath Slater's angle is amazing.
They have made Randy Orton interesting.

They made me care about a Dolph Ziggler vs Dean Ambrose match.

They played footage from October to build up a nothing match to mean something.

EVA MARIE!

Not throwing out new titles right away, but building up the divisions first.

Backstage interviews at a desk for post match reactions.

The graphics that give interesting facts about each wrestler.

I was disheartened after the draft show, but good booking can mask a bad roster.

Jericho and Owens are so funny and perfect I'm scared they're gonna end up getting turned by the crowd.

Their job is to get heel heat, not be "funny" and "win-wink". They're terrible heels. Unlike The Miz :)

And for the last few years it seems Jericho has been so bad people want him to go away when he's the face and want to cheer him when he's the heel.

Smackdown got screwed in the draft, but damn is the booking awesome for the talent they have. The show is blowing away Raw almost every week now. A month in and I skipped Raw this week, but not Smackdown.

Curt Hawkins videos are great.

Heath Slater's angle is amazing.

They have made Randy Orton interesting.

They made me care about a Dolph Ziggler vs Dean Ambrose match.

They played footage from October to build up a nothing match to mean something.

EVA MARIE!

Not throwing out new titles right away, but building up the divisions first.

Backstage interviews at a desk for post match reactions.

The graphics that give interesting facts about each wrestler.

I was disheartened after the draft show, but good booking can mask a bad roster.

It's funny how Smackdown was always the better weekly TV show during much of the first brand split era too. Maybe this is naive, but I've always figured it was because Vince is less involved in the details of booking Smackdown than with RAW. Or maybe it's that Stephanie is less involved.

Either way it's amazing what coherent booking can do for a wrestling show.