Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

If Mad Dog was a real Japanese type fan, he'd wait until it was dead quiet and then shout out just the name of his favorite wrestler, at the top of his lungs. And then go right back to being quiet again.

I'm doing this at the next show I go to for the absolute worst wrestler on the show,

Don't give them more reason to keep pushing Orton.

Mike Bennett it is then!

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely.... Though I think we might have different opinions of the quality of periods of women's wrestling in the WWE over the past 10 years or so (some of it I am not a fan of at all), A) no one deserves to wrestle to "we want puppies" chants and B) there have been countless women putting in work and putting on good matches to crickets. Even though the "women's revolution" has changed some of that, I felt that way during parts of the Mae Young Classic to be honest.

Alas, this is at least one part my own jealousy of the people who get to see this stuff live when I am not there and one part the nature of the live WWE/NXT/WWE-product/big-company live crowd (which has its pros and cons) in the US.

That mae young crowd were not completley at fault they were sitting through 16 matches in one sitting i completely expect a crowd to be dead by the end of it. The differnce between episode one and 4 is huge as they just look and sound so tired i do not blame them in the slightest.

Ohhh for sure. I get that... but still. I don't FAULT them, but part of me feels like the folks who went knew what they were signing up for... be up for it!

I read the PRIDE Secret Files some years ago and I posted some cliff notes of it on Sherdog.

Here's the wrestling side related of it for those of you interested:

The pro-wrestling influence was key in PRIDE since their foundation. Another idea KRS had in mind, was setting up dream matches between pro-wrestling and Vale Tudo fighters.

Some of the pro-wrestlers KRS had in mind for these dream matches were Akira Maeda, Masakatsu Funaki, Kiyoshi Tamura, Minoru Suzuki, Shinya Hashimoto, Riki Choshu, Mitsuharu Misawa and a series of other U-System wrestlers.

Many of these pro-wrestlers declined the offers to fight in PRIDE as they were superstars in pro-wrestling already and accepting the offer would've meant they would've had to fight on the under card below the the Takada vs. Rickson main event and they felt that would've hurt their stock.

PRIDE also planned on creating their own version of Tiger Mask. KRS approached pro-wrestler Tiger Mask 4 who was wrestling for Michinoku Pro at the time, but nothing ever materialized. The other fighters they thought of turning into Tiger Mask's were Guy Mezger and Kiyoshi Tamura.

The idea was to have Tamura as the main Tiger Mask character. They had scheduled an anime to go along with the character similar to the original Tiger Mask anime series, but the idea never materialized as the creators of the anime backed out.

PRIDE wanted to book famous American pro-wrestler Big Van Vader who made a name for himself in Japan. However due to his poor physical condition, PRIDE retracted that idea and opted not to.

Shigeru Saeki's DEEP organization was originally scheduled to be a pro-wrestling organization that then ended up turning into an MMA organization.

DEEP original matchups were scheduled being Nobuhiko Takada vs. Cactus Jack and the Road Warrios, Hawk and Animal vs. NO FEAR, Yoshihiro Takayama and Takao Omori.

Yuji Shimada advised Saeki about negotating a talent exchange relationship with WWE.

All of Saeki's ideas feel through and talks with several Brazilian fighters such as Royler Gracie kicked off and a strong relationship with Pancrase began and DEEP changed it's idea and turned into an MMA organization.

Similar to PRIDE's original idea of pro-wrestlers vs. MMA fighters, DEEP tried putting on several fights featuring pro-wrestlers vs. MMA fighters including Kengo Watanabe vs. Road Warrior Animal, however that feel through as Animal turned down the fight, Minoru Suzuki vs. Kiyoshi Tamura, but Tamura turned down the fight, Sanae Kikuta vs. Ricardo Arona, but Arona turned down the fight, Suzuki vs. Wataru Sakuta, but the fight never materialized.

Masakatsu Funaki pitched Saeki the idea of Yoshiki Takahashi vs. Sakata, but the Pancrase president, Mr. Ozaki turned down the fight.

Another fight that Saeki tried to put together was Minowaman vs. Japanese ZERO-ONE pro-wrestler Tatsuhito Takaiwa. The plan for the fight came up after Minowaman tried a piledriver in his fight with Paulo Filho. In the post fight interview Minowaman expressed he would try a death valley bomb in one of his fights which is a move Takaiwa has been using as one of his main finishers in pro-wrestling matches. Takaiwa accepted the fight Minowaman, but ZERO-ONE management turned it down.

Saeki came up with the idea of potentially booking Osaka Pro comedy pro-wrestler Ebessan in an fight on a DEEP card after there was talk of Ebessan potentially taking on Alistair Overeem at the 2003 Inoki Matsuri NYE event.

Saeki also tried booking pro-wrestling NOSAWA Rongai in a fight, but it never materialized.

Other fights Saeki tried to put together include Yuki Kondo vs. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai and a fight between pro-wrestlers Kim Duk and the Cobra George Takano. Duk accepted the fight, but Takano turned it down.

Another fight Saeki thought of making was Yuki Kondo vs. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai, but he opted not to even try to put it on because he knew it would be a problematic fight to put on.

Saeki also tried putting a fight between pro-wrestlers Kim Duk and the Cobra George Takano. Duk accepted the fight, but Takano turned the fight down.

I posted more cliff notes on Sherdog forum. If you'd like to read the rest including the MMA portion such as them negotiating for a Mike Tyson world tour featuring boxing matches against Fedor Emelianenko and Mirko Cro Cop, Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Evander Holyfield, "Sugar" Ray Leonard or Oscar de la Hoya and such, please visit this link: PRIDE Secret Files.

Been listening to the Jim Cornette Podcast and he was talking about the decline of WCW and how Starrcade had big numbers in the early days but they dropped once they left Greensboro, North Carolina. He then discussed Vince McMahon who had told PPV Providers that if they carried Starrcade 87 he would not let them carry Survivor Series 87 or Wrestlemania 4.

Why didn't the PPV providers just tell Vince to get stuffed, he doesnt dictate to them and give Vince the choice to choose. I mean if your trying to get your company noticed and you be awkward and don't get it shown then all you are doing is getting more publicity for the rival company.

At a scenario JCP gets double ratings and Survivor Series bombs due to not many providers showing it.

One other thing I saw some Missy's Manor interviews, so googled it up and it says it wasent aired so wondered if thats the case how come its out there on the net.

PPV was in its infancy. WWF was huge and pretty much made PPV relevant.

To expand on this, for most people, the WWF *was* professional wrestling, so they weren't going to tell Vince to shove Survivor Series and take this show from this b-level company out of the south. The WWF was a proven moneymaker, and Vince had the stroke to say this. I don't think it held up, though. I think that they just allowed everyone who wanted to sell WrestleMania IV to sell it.

PPV was in its infancy. WWF was huge and pretty much made PPV relevant.

To expand on this, for most people, the WWF *was* professional wrestling, so they weren't going to tell Vince to shove Survivor Series and take this show from this b-level company out of the south. The WWF was a proven moneymaker, and Vince had the stroke to say this. I don't think it held up, though. I think that they just allowed everyone who wanted to sell WrestleMania IV to sell it.
I thought the WWE also packaged their upcoming Wrestlemania PPV rights with this threat? No one was turning down Mania, period.

Edit: I mean it wasn't just "Hey if you get Survivor Series, you get Mania too!", but rather "If you pick Starrcade over Survivor Series, you lose Mania too"

One other thing I saw some Missy's Manor interviews, so googled it up and it says it wasent aired so wondered if thats the case how come its out there on the net.

I wanna say it was Missy herself who put them out there. She was selling the segments on her website well over a decade ago and someone bit, bought the DVD/VHS, and put them up online. And then Missy put them up online herself later on.

I wanna say it was Missy herself who put them out there. She was selling the segments on her website well over a decade ago and someone bit, bought the DVD/VHS, and put them up online. And then Missy put them up online herself later on.

I wouldn't have thought Missy would have the footage herself. Did stars then back then get copies of stuff they were in?

I wouldn't have thought Missy would have the footage herself. Did stars then back then get copies of stuff they were in?

In most other forms of entertainment it's pretty commonplace so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case here.

For better or for worse...Sexy Star has responded. I feel the same way Don Lemon felt after he watched Trump's Arizona rally.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2017/9/4/16253058/sexy-star-story-rosemary-injury-incident-triplemania

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, September 4, 2017

First of all, I want to thank the people that have been with me in these past few days, which have been turned into a nightmare and became one of the most difficult moments of my career and personal life.

As some of you know, this past Saturday, August 26, I was present at the TripleMania XXV event in the Mexico City Arena to fulfill a championship match for the AAA promotion, of which I have been signed as an independent worker so that I can keep using the mask and character of Sexy Star, which is the character I have portrayed for the last 11 years.

At first, I was informed that I would be fighting in a Reina de Reinas title match in a one-on-one match against a female Mexican wrestler from one of the nearby promotions. But a few days before the event, I was told that they would be including two more wrestlers into the match, one of whom belonged to the North American promotion Global Force Wrestling. AAA brought this wrestler, whom up to my knowledge, has never wrestled in Mexico or at least with one of the major Mexican promotions, and I just met this wrestler mere minutes before we went up to the ring to have the match that she was signed onto.

As I have been doing for more than 10 years, as I reached the arena, I met with those that I will be wrestling with so that we can coordinate the match that we would present to the public, being that AAA are the ones responsible for making this happen.

Since it has been tradition whenever I go out and wrestle with people I have never worked with, especially foreigners –the wrestling styles change between countries—I would tend to favor wrestling a more American style. I asked if what we had planned out would be fine with them, or if they would like to change something so that they may feel safer in the ring.

Those that have worked with me know that I have always done things that way, with the idea of protecting everyone working with me and myself from any type of incident, not just out of etiquette and the values instilled upon me at home, which include compatriotism, but to be on constant alert of the dangers that wrestlers face every time they step into the ring, be it their first match or match No. 100. I want to clarify that [Rosemary], at no point, asked me to change anything that we would present, something that is very important to me. So I did what she knew and I had control of everything that we would do. The talent coordinator for AAA gave the “ok” to do our match without any prior meetings to change anything.

The moment of the match came, I made my way to the match to wrestle the way I have habitually done in front of the wrestling public for many years, with the same style, fury, and energy that has characterized “Sexy Star” in each of her fights.

The match came to its conclusion, and when I tapped out [Rosemary] with the submission that was agreed and selected upon, which is also one of the least dangerous submission moves in the danger range that I have applied and have been applied to repeatedly. At least that’s how it has always been.

At the end of the show and after the foreigner was walking under her own power without medical assistance, our protocol continued, and I was handed the title belt by Martha Villalobos, whom I have deep admiration and even first showed me the ropes of the wrestling sport, whom I love with all of my heart, and has made me be constantly prepared my body to handle bumps and submissions. Very few people know the secrets of professional wrestling and if I reveal any of them in this letter, it is for the security of my integrity and for the respect earned throughout my professional and personal life. I can’t stress this enough, I will only say that those who have conserved their careers through the highs and lows, falling and getting right back up, with injuries and being bloodied, know what I am referring to.

Twenty minutes after I was handed my belt, I went to the locker room in which I was bombarded by Global Force Wrestling representatives who have had a working relationship with AAA, saying that the wrestler I submitted suffered an apparent injury in their native language, something that surprised me because, as previously stated, she walked down from the ring without any help.

Immediately, and not just out of etiquette, but also because I was worried, I went to her to see if she was okay and I see her with another person, standing up in the room where the production monitors are located, with just a bag of ice on her elbow. There was nobody tending to her nor did she have anything to help her, which is a security protocol in the event somebody is suspected to have an injury. She wasn’t even sitting down and that put my mind at ease because I did not see anything wrong with her with my own two eyes. The talent coordinator for AAA reiterated that everything was fine and so, I left the venue with my husband with the tranquility and security that everything was going to be fine. I did not get any indication from Dorian Roldan, the owner of AAA, that something was amiss and I suppose if that is the case, then he wouldn’t have let me leave without resolving any type of potential situation.

People also need to know that I have never received any medical news, or any radiography that exists, which shows any injury to the wrestler in question.

I didn’t worry about the situation because I repeat, and I saw her with my own two eyes, I did not see that she was injured and that she wasn’t being tended to by medical personnel, much less need to have the use of medical equipment if she was injured. In my professional wrestling career, I have seen injuries, and I have been victim to accidents and believe me, nothing of the sort happened at the Reina de Reinas title match that night at TripleMania XXV.

The next day, I started to receive, on social media, a series of cyber attacks, which included an aggressive letter, written by this North American wrestler, who was already back in her home country, stating that I intentionally injured her, without showing proof of any kind, medical or other, and she only wrote it in text without showing her face or voice.

In this letter, a lot was unraveled, from male and female wrestlers from North America whom I have never worked with, much less be in the place that night. They have written about my supposed anti-professionalism, using words from [Rosemary’s letter], which has already been retweeted more than 4,000 times.

The bullying on social media only kept growing and even bloggers and media outlets, who were not present, who did not cover the event, outlets who don’t even work in Mexico, could not keep themselves from writing phrases such as “She dislocated her shoulder” or “She intentionally broke her arm,” confirming the alleged injury, and only using [Rosemary’s] letter on Twitter and the ending of the match through various angles as their only source. At no point did they look at the injured woman walking down the ring under her own power and using her hands. Some even assured that what I did was both wrong and intentional. Many members of the media and columnists online were not consistent and some mentioned that the injury was on her elbow, some said it was her shoulder that got injured and some said it was the whole arm.

I assure you in the video that is being circulated around the web, all that you see is me portraying Sexy Star making the submission move using the same energy and fury that is characterized by this character, in the same manner, and force without letting go seconds after the referee rang the bell, just as Sexy Star has always done. I can show that this submission has been done in plenty other occasions in the same exact manner and force with other wrestlers, including one of Sexy Star’s recent matches on [Lucha Underground]. I assure you that the wrestler who got the submission that time, with proof, did not suffer any injury because, as I have insisted, is one of the submission moves that, within the danger range, is one of the least risky and I have at no point, tried to misuse it to injure anybody.

This past August 30, I fulfilled 11 years inside the wrestling ring, a sport in which I have given my life, and my body, without being figurative, has suffered tons of damage because in this sport, if you have a career like I have been blessed with, you don’t rest. For wrestling, I have always had respect, respect that I exercise when taking care of my fellow wrestlers without exception and I will keep doing that, without caring the nationality or if they are aware of the respect that I inherited from my parents, my teachers, and teachers of this profession, people with dynasties inside Mexican wrestling, where the sport was born, and I am sure that my wrestling teachers can talk and mention that I have never mishandled any fellow wrestler.

With respect and love to my teachers and fans, who have shown love and care, and to those I owe my career to, especially those that personally know me, I dedicate this letter to you guys because you are the ones who truly deserve to know what truly happened. But above all else, I dedicate this to Sexy Star, a character that was presented to me and I have defended with honor, honesty, respect, integrity, and passion for 11 years. Those same values that belong to me, Dulce Maria Garcia Rivas, and I will not let anybody, without any unverified versions of the story who do not have proof, to discredit that.

-Dulce Maria Garcia Rivas

I feel like that reporter guy who was working on the big expose on Don Jr's involvement with the Russians and then he just blurted it all out himself on Twitter. I've heard stories about Sexy Star being an egotistical diva even by wrestling standards, and then she just puts it all out there herself.

So much to unpack here, not the least of how it comes off racist (not sure if that's the right word here but bear with me) to go with the "blame the Gringo" defense. As if Rosemary had some kind of master plan to ruin the good name of someone she's never worked with before or would probably ever work with again in a nothing match.

She also seems to be under the impression that as long as her arm was still attached and there was no bone sticking out there was no injury. That seems especially laughable considering both her and her husband have trained in boxing in addition to her wrestling training, so the odds are pretty slim she's never seen someone get hurt without there being carnage involved. Not to mention Rosemary specifically mentioned that she was trying to keep calm since she didn't want to risk getting sent to a Mexican prison for beating Sexy's face in.

Finally it's absolutely hi-fucking-larious she says she has the highest respect for wrestling considering she tried to claim she didn't know she was expected to defend (and probably lose) the AAA Mixed Tag Titles, retired from wrestling to go into boxing rather than drop the AAA women's title, and then demand the belt back for her to return causing Taya to get fucked out of the title. Not to mention the lingering rumors that she's only around in the first place because Vampiro either was fucking her or wants to (allegedly of course).

Also every logical rule of pro wrestling would mean either GFW or AAA would run a match between the two to make money off this, but remember both companies are famous for stepping on their own dicks (AAA is very much the GFW of Lucha only with better TV clearances).

The fact that Manning can't even disguise his Von Erich fanboyism makes him the worst referee ever.

This would be a fun discussion, worse ref: Fanboy Manning or Always Trying To Get Himself Over at the Expense of the Match Tirantes? Both get the "oh fuck off already" reaction from ,e.

Everyone should watch the Mitch Connor promo on this episode of CWF Mid-Atlantic, I am behind a bit in the show, but this was one of my favorite promos of this decade

https://youtu.be/8GCsAQMsn48?t=9m57s

Will co-sign that this was an awesome promo. Been getting caught up on CWF Mid-Atlantic myself lately and it's a fast, easy to watch one hour wrestling show. You also usually get at least one match per week that's really good. It's nice to see an indie that not only has good production values but also still cares about a face/heel structure and a crowd that plays along with it.

The fact that Manning can't even disguise his Von Erich fanboyism makes him the worst referee ever.

Ive heard alot of fans hated Bill Alfonso's WWF run as a referee because of his high raising counts.

Worst Ref ever id probably go with Rita Chatterton. She was absolutely terrible in the ring, didnt really show any facial expressions like other Refs would during matches.