Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I took my nine year old nephew to his first wrestling show at New South in Hartselle. I promised him when he was three I would take him like I did his brother.

The show itself was pretty good. But honestly I rather be at home, I hate crowds and have severe anxiety, I was four nerve pills in just to function.

But it was still an amazing experience because I got to see wrestling thru the eyes of a child. To Connor "my nephew" everyone was a star. He was angry when the bad guys cheated and jubilant when the good guys won. He was not comparing young guys to hazy memories of the past they could not compare to. He ran up to every wrestler and got his arms signed. Cheeseburger made two fans last night in me and the Con Dog. Connor begged me for a mask so I got it telling him that was his big purchase. But he wanted a shirt from Cheeseburger so much. So I got it and he threw in an 8X10.

I saw the current indy wrestlers in a new light. Not these punks trying to usurp my memories. But guys with my old passion who want to make new memories. The whole trip kinda put me in the hole before April even started. But it was all worth it.

I think this deserves it own thread, pinned at the top of the board.

I get just a cynical about pro wrestling as anyone else, but a trip to a local Indy show is always the best way to help me get over myself. Particularly if there are kids there, marking out, and the wrestlers interact with the fans...

Everybody on this board (and elsewhere) who is currently stuck in an "everything stinks" phase needs to get out and have an experience like this. We all need to be reminded, from time to time, that wrestling is great and that we love it.

The wrestlers loved having Connor at ringside. The heels would antagonize him and people would boo louder. The champion acted like he was going to high five him and pulled his hand away at the last second. Connor ran to me with a full report of what I had just seen.

Only scary part of the night for me, was when Connor almost got knocked over by a plancha. He gets really excited and its an intimate building.

One thing that threw me was the heels were at intermission selling gimmicks and stuff. Nice as can be, then bell time and its back to kayfabe. Connor and the other kids had no problem though. I asked Connor why he was booing someone who just gave him an autograph. Connor told me "He shouldn't have cheated."

One thing I did not add about the show is everyone looked professional. Real wrestling gear and in shape. You could see them on any TV show and they would not look outta place.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive taken my daughter to a few shows and its a blast.

She loves going to Ohio Valley wrestling shows. A good friend of mine is their lead commentator. He always makes a point to talk to her at intermission and after the show.

After her first show, she says to him very seriously, You guys need to get some new referees. There was cheating in almost every match and they didnt see any of it! He told her hed talk to management about the issue.

Shes also a huge NXT fan. She got to see her favorite Shinsuke live before he went to Smackdown. She lost it when his music hit. It was so much fun. NXT is coming back to Louisville in June, and Ive already promised her wed go.

Oh, and she made me so proud this week. Shes staying with my parents for her spring break. She just got a great report card, so they took her to Target to get a reward. She picked the WWE Womens title replica. My dad sent me a pic of her with it. She was doing the Alexa Bliss pose with the belt up by her head. Shes a mess.

I think theres something in the simplicity of NXTs presentation that appeals to kids. They do a good job explaining who each wrestler is and you can get a clear idea on whether to cheer or boo them. Storylines are pretty straightforward too.

We watch Raw and Smackdown too, but NXT is the one my daughter has latched onto. I think that may be why.

I think there is something to that. We watched Kevin Sullivan and Kanemura and he got so invested in Kanemura fighting back after being bloodied. He insisted I find a rematch, which I did find one in Wing. Even in another language, he got who was the good guy and the bad guy.

His all time favorite is Kane and he likes Braun Strowman. We watched when Braun dropped the stage on Kane and he was upset about it yet intrigued on how someone could be so strong.

Honestly I don't break kayfabe to kids. Whether it is wrestling or Santa. Their parents can do that shit.

I had to break kayfabe a little with my daughter when Strowman threw Roman off of that loading dock strapped to a stretcher. She cried so I told her it was probably not really Roman on the stretcher. She got over it pretty quickly when Braun tipped the ambulance over. She loved that and has loved Braun ever since.

Braun Strowman = Hero to Children Everywhere

I had to break kayfabe a little with my daughter when Strowman threw Roman off of that loading dock strapped to a stretcher. She cried so I told her it was probably not really Roman on the stretcher. She got over it pretty quickly when Braun tipped the ambulance over. She loved that and has loved Braun ever since.

Braun Strowman = Hero to Children Everywhere

I said Kane was able to move in time but was unable to continue because he was pinned down. I would have said Roman angled himself to protect any vital parts.

I'm re-watching a ton of old Noah from the early 2000's and Shiga is a guy I don't remember think much of back in the day, but he's putting on really solid performances in multi tag matches.

Shiga was always a favourite of mine if you look at burning as a stable you can view Shiga as what Taue was to the four pillars in some way just my very odd view

Shiga was always a favourite of mine if you look at burning as a stable you can view Shiga as what Taue was to the four pillars in some way just my very odd view

Yeah, that's pretty odd view point, but yes, Shiga is awesome. Izu is also pretty great.

Omori doesn't suck either and I couldn't stomach most of his matches back in the day, but re-watching them, he's not that bad and was involved in some pretty good matches.

Also, 10 minute Takayama singles matches were the best.

Yeah, that's pretty odd view point, but yes, Shiga is awesome. Izu is also pretty great.

Omori doesn't suck either and I couldn't stomach most of his matches back in the day, but re-watching them, he's not that bad and was involved in some pretty good matches.

Also, 10 minute Takayama singles matches were the best.

o always like Omori as well team no fear was my fave Izumida was a workhorse type and when watch workrate intensive fed like NOAH was people only look the pit ponies like izu and go fpr the stalions like Misawa and Kobashi

im making aloy of odd annoglies today

So I plan to watch WM live this year. (I live in Austria, so the thin takes place in the middle of the night for me.) To have a chance at staying awake I bought a big bottle of Coke (the soft drink, not the ) and two bags of potato chips. Considering that I am 37 and eat about one bag of chips a year (and even then only in 2-3 sittings) there is a decent chance that this will kill me. But well, let's see how my body reacts if I eat and drink as if I was 10 years younger.

So I plan to watch WM live this year. (I live in Austria, so the thin takes place in the middle of the night for me.) To have a chance at staying awake I bought a big bottle of Coke (the soft drink, not the ) and two bags of potato chips. Considering that I am 37 and eat about one bag of chips a year (and even then only in 2-3 sittings) there is a decent chance that this will kill me. But well, let's see how my body reacts if I eat and drink as if I was 10 years younger.

Hey, I havent done blow in ten years. 😀 I also quit drinking Coke and any soda last Summer. Dropped 40 pounds from just that and after reading these DDPY success stories, Im thinking about trying that as well.

But Ill start that after tomorrow. Tomorrows menu is Italian sausage sandwiches, seven layer taco dip, shrimp cocktail, and various other munchies. Were gonna need a lot of food to get through a seven hour show. 😀

o always like Omori as well team no fear was my fave Izumida was a workhorse type and when watch workrate intensive fed like NOAH was people only look the pit ponies like izu and go fpr the stalions like Misawa and Kobashi

im making aloy of odd annoglies today

Those aren't odd analogies, at all.

Did you get a chance to see any of the Pitbull Gary Wolfe matches from the tour he did in Noah in 2001? He was mostly working under card matches, but I can't seem to find any video of any of them. I'm sure they were terrible, but they sound really compelling.

It's crazy the amount of backyarders who DDT has picked up and trained. Antonio Honda, HARASHIMA, KUDO, Danshoku Dieno, etc.

In Japan they are known as student pro-wrestlers which is pretty much the equivalent to backyarders in the states. These guys setup rings and have shows in a variety of public locations.

I know DDT books them or used to book them. They booked a CIMA backyard clone named BIMA once.

I think SPWF (Yoshiaki Yatsu's fed) specifically started that trend of turning backyarders into pro wrestlers. The most prominent documented early example of a backyarder turning pro is probably Onryo. Also, Mikami and Sanshiro Takagi completed their training in PWC... no offense to Shunji Takano, but you do wonder how much they learned when the promotion was mostly about sleazy monster gimmicks. Wouldn't be surprised if much of the early DDT crew came from that student wrestling background.

Takagi has a background in judo and MIKAMI has a background in Greco-Roman wrestling... Odd, they never implement any of those techniques into their matches.

Yeah, a lot of the early DDT crew were backyarders and that trend will continue with them.

According to the Japanese Wiki entry for student pro-wrestlers Hayabusa, Mr. Gannosuke and MEN'S Teioh also started out as backyarders... :wacko:

And I haven't followed DDT since around 2008, but apparently Takao Soma is the BIMA backyarder I was speaking of earlier... :wacko:

When you are asking your guys to do stuff like wrestle a ladder or job to a little girl, you don't really get to be picky about who you are bringing in. Backyard wrestling is extremely dangerous and should never be done but you can obviously tell that a lot of them would be very willing to train and be further involved in wrestling as opposed to if you are asking the star athletes from the local universities who have more options to choose from, and DDT wouldn't be a realistic one among those options.