Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TNA in 2008 is the closest thing to a completely schyzophrenic promotion, with a mix of awful comedy (with sexist overtones galore) and serious pro-wrestling angles worked in the same feud, sometime the very same segment.

On the other hand, Awesome Kong 25.000 $ challenge is the most compelling (and yet simple) stuff on the TV at the beginning of the Summer. Just terrific, brutal squashes with a simple story finally unfolding (a girl named Taylor finally gets to Awesome Kong and gets a legit match for the title in the end).

The Rough Cuts portraits were simple and effective. Meanwhile, you got some awful vignettes like Kurt Angle "dating".

(how and why Kip James was still employed, I have no idea, but it gave us yet another useless name in the "Megastar", while Billy Gunn still had no idea what to do with himself, doing the same old "semi-point at my ass" deal)

partly in topic partly off topic

i say this wrestling needs bookers not writers wrestling is an art from writers turn it a cubist nightmare and not nice look at it the workers alike Musicians or filmmakers the biggest are controlled they sell well but lack real skill in their art [ i call it avatar principal it is the biggest drawing movie of all time] but as rule talk ot most people who know film they will say Kane is than better avatar]

this is how I

view wrestling people use the avatar Principal to much in pro wrestling even me

back on topic

Tna had a fucked model weekly ppvs start with back in the RINGS ran Monthly on premium tv channel and still drew 7k minimum for every show [ from most of the first four years and there called small ] after they ended the fucked model of weekly PPV's they got a major tv deal on sizeable network they have been called the 2nd biggest promotion in the world

but as drawing card in the first 10 years they ever outdrew RINGS in live attendances to compare ratings is unfair comparison since RINGS was never on Major Tv Network

me using the avatar principal here TNA was never the 2nd biggest promotion in the world numbers to not back it up when comes gates or Butts u=in seats RINGS remember not major network tv deal [ In Japan only network has any sort of huge viewership] managed to have spell of 20 show the drew 250k profit off the gate i do not see TNA have ever done this correct if wrong? .

mind you RINGS was only id would say 5th biggest in live gates in Japan back then topped by NJPW FMW AJPW Zenjo I know the market was hotter back then but TNA is called big four promotion without any numbers to back its up as is ECW but the US-centrism show this compare the biggest show ever of ECW vs AAA EMLL/CMLL AJPW NJPW FMW Zenjo UWFi RINGS even LLPW who biggest card was 15k paid.

but back to the original idea, TNA sucks for me to watch as does wwe even the AE for this reason that it lett writers run the wrestling not the bookers and TNA have been like this since day one its not the worst its copies the worst habits without any controlling figure from the booker or wrestling end

When Anthem hired Scott D'Amore and Don Callis, I was cautiously optimistic that good things might happen for Impact after the new team was in place and got their feet under them. Then the infamous Callahan/Edwards bat incident happened, and I was discouraged. Now, I am wondering if these guys might actually be able to pull something off and make Impact compelling again. They definitely have the brains and experience to do it...I'm still not sure if they will. But stuff like this is a good sign and is the kind of stuff I was hoping to see once they got settled.

Scott D'Amore really doesn't get the credit he deserves for his first run with TNA. His run had it's issues but the promotion was putting out good to great weekly TV and built some real momentum as a product.

I don't know what does or doesn't make their television show every week, since I rarely have the time to catch an episode in full. But I do try to keep track via their YouTube channel & whatnot.

Anyway, the Road To Redemption video on Aries/Alberto was fucking aces. Tremendous video package that really put such great focus on things. This was what every good hype video should strive to be. It highlighted their characters and personalities. It placed a spotlight squarely on the championship and its value. It allowed both guys to speak like actual human beings.

I could go on & on, pointing out a dozen different things I dug about this one. Alberto's personal anecdote about his grandfather teaching him the lesson of self-discipline and self-awareness was just one of the wonderful little gems tucked neatly into the exchange. Really solid stuff here. Scope this one out if you haven't seen it. Totally has me buying into their upcoming bout in a way I hadn't expected.

If I'm nitpicking, I would say that it's strange to have Aries doing the super humble baby face routine. Just knowing his history and track record (and THAT shirt), I can't help but wish & wait for the arrogant, cocky side of him to emerge and rip into Berto. But hey. I get it. Aries is doing the undersized, underdog deal here. Ideally, I'd like to see a champion (especially one packing around five or six belts) to peacock around bit more and show some conviction in his skills. Aries is dominant. He should be beaming with confidence at this stage, not out to "prove himself to the fans" like every generic crossfit fanatic working Monday nights at the moment.

Overall though, this was a surefire winner with me. Aries is my preferred pick in this rivalry, but gawt damn. Berto was surprisingly awesome here. I don't know if it's the more laid back setting or what, but this style of presentation simply suits him. I mentioned the story he told of his grandpa, but he rattled off another tremendous line about Aries' size. He called out everyone for pretending size doesn't matter, because - in reality - OF COURSE it does! And obviously that's not an ultra creative, witty line or anything. But it sure was great trash talk.

And, again, I have to emphasize how refreshing it was that both these guys spoke like actual human beings. This would have felt right at home on a 30 For 30 or any UFC countdown show, for sure.

If some fans were concerned about these types of videos and hype packages going away with Jeremy Borash leaving, then I'd say they can safely rest easy for now. I'm not sure who was behind this one, but throw some more money at them to stick around & keep it up.

With all that being said, I also watched some of the clipped matches. And omigoddamngod, why can't they find somebody - ANYBODY - to replace this Josh Matthews clown already? He's the fucking shits. I mean, honest to God, I'd just about rather get down on the ground and crab-walk through a dozen dirty dumpster fires than hear him call anything ever again. He literally said (out loud, over a broadcast for other actual people to hear) the words, "Cage is a machine manufactured to destroy armageddons!" like it's his golden idea of getting a key new talent over. I mean, for fuck's sake. He's the absolute dirt worst. WWE had perpetuated a genuine crime against all of humanity for convincing this dweeb that he's got any sense of skill or belonging in the business in the first fucking place, but then to go out and release him unto the world to go out & further poison other promotions as well? Christ. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping like hell that Callis and D'Amore can find someone else to call their shows soon.

Is Paige present and accounted for?

It's astonishing that Berto can still get booked anywhere, really. It's a shame, too. When he's on and in his element, I like a lot of what he brings to the table. But he can be as lazy and inspired as anybody at times also.

Plus, ya know, there's the coke binges and no-showings. The negatives of booking the guy have got to start outweighing the positives pretty soon.

I don't know what does or doesn't make their television show every week, since I rarely have the time to catch an episode in full. But I do try to keep track via their YouTube channel & whatnot.

Anyway, the Road To Redemption video on Aries/Alberto was fucking aces. Tremendous video package that really put such great focus on things. This was what every good hype video should strive to be. It highlighted their characters and personalities. It placed a spotlight squarely on the championship and its value. It allowed both guys to speak like actual human beings.

I could go on & on, pointing out a dozen different things I dug about this one. Alberto's personal anecdote about his grandfather teaching him the lesson of self-discipline and self-awareness was just one of the wonderful little gems tucked neatly into the exchange. Really solid stuff here. Scope this one out if you haven't seen it. Totally has me buying into their upcoming bout in a way I hadn't expected.

If I'm nitpicking, I would say that it's strange to have Aries doing the super humble baby face routine. Just knowing his history and track record (and THAT shirt), I can't help but wish & wait for the arrogant, cocky side of him to emerge and rip into Berto. But hey. I get it. Aries is doing the undersized, underdog deal here. Ideally, I'd like to see a champion (especially one packing around five or six belts) to peacock around bit more and show some conviction in his skills. Aries is dominant. He should be beaming with confidence at this stage, not out to "prove himself to the fans" like every generic crossfit fanatic working Monday nights at the moment.

Overall though, this was a surefire winner with me. Aries is my preferred pick in this rivalry, but gawt damn. Berto was surprisingly awesome here. I don't know if it's the more laid back setting or what, but this style of presentation simply suits him. I mentioned the story he told of his grandpa, but he rattled off another tremendous line about Aries' size. He called out everyone for pretending size doesn't matter, because - in reality - OF COURSE it does! And obviously that's not an ultra creative, witty line or anything. But it sure was great trash talk.

And, again, I have to emphasize how refreshing it was that both these guys spoke like actual human beings. This would have felt right at home on a 30 For 30 or any UFC countdown show, for sure.

If some fans were concerned about these types of videos and hype packages going away with Jeremy Borash leaving, then I'd say they can safely rest easy for now. I'm not sure who was behind this one, but throw some more money at them to stick around & keep it up.

With all that being said, I also watched some of the clipped matches. And omigoddamngod, why can't they find somebody - ANYBODY - to replace this Josh Matthews clown already? He's the fucking shits. I mean, honest to God, I'd just about rather get down on the ground and crab-walk through a dozen dirty dumpster fires than hear him call anything ever again. He literally said (out loud, over a broadcast for other actual people to hear) the words, "Cage is a machine manufactured to destroy armageddons!" like it's his golden idea of getting a key new talent over. I mean, for fuck's sake. He's the absolute dirt worst. WWE had perpetuated a genuine crime against all of humanity for convincing this dweeb that he's got any sense of skill or belonging in the business in the first fucking place, but then to go out and release him unto the world to go out & further poison other promotions as well? Christ. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping like hell that Callis and D'Amore can find someone else to call their shows soon.

Agreed on this - loved the Alberto/Aries video package and now saddened that it's all for nothing since the match is off. Tremendous build and it's a shame we won't get what would've been a 'first time ever' match. Coming off the Impact/LU show, they announced Pentagon vs. Fenix for the Redemption PPV. It was shaping up to be a real solid card, hopefully it still will be with a new main event/opponent for Aries.

I actually find Josh amusing most of the time, but I think they planned to have Don Callis replace him on commentary while he became Sydal's manager until Borash leaving changed those plans.

It really is a shame that such great buildup was wasted on Berto. The guy's crazy unreliable. While he's enjoyable enough when he's really dialed in, that just isn't often enough. He's not worth the hassle. And they've been burned by him twice now, so here's hoping they've learned that lesson.

I'm guessing they'll run a rematch from the LU crossover event at Redemption now. That doesn't do much to drive any story forward - and it's practically just a filler match - but at least it stands the chance of being a good match. I'm still disappointed, but I hope they can get things back on track and give Aries another program (with a challenger and a story) he can sink his teeth into after this PPV is in their rearview.

I once joked that Alberto Del Rio was Spanish for Jeff Jarrett. I guess Alberto El Patron is Spanish for Eddie Gilbert.

I would say he is more Buddy Landell than Gilbert. Even Eddie knew when to stay when the moment was good. Buddy fucked up in the worst possible times for him

Come to think of it, No Show Alberto does have a nice ring to it.

Ehh. That's really just pro wrestling in general though.

Pro wrestling is and always has been that girl with self-esteem issues. Pay her a little attention one time or compliment something she wore once, then watch her wear it every single time you see her for the next two years. That's pro wrestling - desperate, clingy, and thirsting for any kind of approval from absolutely anyone.

The same wrestling that tried to reform the nWo five or six times, even after holding onto it for a good two years past its expiration date in the first place?

The same wrestling that reunited two grumpy middle-aged men and had them behave like a couple of rebellious, rulebreaking teenagers?

The same wrestling that constantly tries to clone whatever successful gimmick it finds? The same wrestling that hunted high and low for the "next" Hogan for a decade?

The same wrestling that has historically trotted out legends - well past their prime - to diminishing returns and even embarrassing, business-exposing performances at times?

Come on, man. Wrestling has always been about finding one thing that works and then proceeding to run it until the wheels fall off.

And then ride it out some more.

This funky, ass-backwards, troll-the-fans meta booking philosophy is something that sprung up only recently. It's baffling, stupid, and stubborn. And it's a recent phenomenon that's certainly more of the exception than it is the standard rule that's almost always been used.