Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

24 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Zack Ryder doing Zack Ryder level things in AEW would be fine. If he comes in challenging for their title on day one that would be peak Impact. 

He definitely shouldn't be challenging for the title day one, but at the same time, he does deserve the chance to show what he can do and prove that WWE missed the boat on him. If he's stuck in the same spot in AEW that he was in WWE, what's the point of jumping? 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He can't even get on TV in WWE unless it's as Random Geek #45 in a backstage skit. If he was on TV jobbing every week in AEW even that would be an improvment.

Just saying there's ways to better utilize guys than WWE does without having to push them ahead of everyone else on the roster like Impact did. 

That's probably what I'm looking forward to the most with AEW. They've stated the goal is to let guys do their own thing and see if anything catches fire. 

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

They've been working an angle with the Bucks on Twitter for while, and a few weeks ago one of the Bucks and one of the Revival (I forget which one from each team) tweeted to mark their words that they would face each other at some point. 

I hope they do go, WWE clearly doesn't fit with the old school territory style tag team work they excel at. I have a feeling they might end up being one of those "how did they let THOSE guys go to the competition' types.

Haven’t they been working an internet angle with The Revival going back to before Cody joined them?

More rumors: The Revival and Mike & Maria Kannellis asked for their releases. Makes me wonder if their recent Twitter "spat" was a work to try to start a storyline elsewhere. I can't imagine WWE letting any of them go, especially now with AEW. Mike has shown me less than zero (although I'm sure someone will come around shortly to tell me he's amazing and had bang-up matches in ROH and Impact), but I'd want to keep Maria. 

16 hours ago, sek69 said:

He can't even get on TV in WWE unless it's as Random Geek #45 in a backstage skit. If he was on TV jobbing every week in AEW even that would be an improvment.

Just saying there's ways to better utilize guys than WWE does without having to push them ahead of everyone else on the roster like Impact did. 

That's probably what I'm looking forward to the most with AEW. They've stated the goal is to let guys do their own thing and see if anything catches fire. 

Good point. And I agree 100% that Cody's talk about not hiring writers and "letting wrestlers play to their own music" is exactly what I've been wanting to hear for years now.

I don't think they'll be letting Dash and Dawson go. If anything, Monday night seemed like they were finally getting ready to go all the way with them, with them finally getting one over on the Lucha House Party.  I could see them letting Mike and Maria go, they obviously don't value them as much of a commodity. I haven't seen anything reported yet, but a friend of mine said he'd read that Dolph Ziggler also requested a release. He's another that I don't see them wanting to lose.

23 hours ago, C.S. said:

In today's "sounds like bullshit" news, WWE is reportedly "FEARFUL" that The Revival is planning to finish up with the company to jump to AEW.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/exclusive-wwe-fears-revival-are-finishing-company

Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder have been used like dogshit since being called up, so I really doubt WWE would miss them if they left.

It's a shame, because they are an amazing team that WWE should value.  

Sean doesn't report bullshit and subsequent events/reports have proven this.

36 minutes ago, MikeCampbell said:

I don't think they'll be letting Dash and Dawson go. If anything, Monday night seemed like they were finally getting ready to go all the way with them, with them finally getting one over on the Lucha House Party.  I could see them letting Mike and Maria go, they obviously don't value them as much of a commodity. I haven't seen anything reported yet, but a friend of mine said he'd read that Dolph Ziggler also requested a release. He's another that I don't see them wanting to lose.

We've been teased so often with getting rid of Ziggler that I'm sceptical of that until the moment he shows up in someone else's ring. He's such a stale figure that I don't know what value he would even have to AEW unless it's in a limited capacity.

37 minutes ago, MikeCampbell said:

The story was it was after that match when they asked for their release. It does seem like WWE is in full "we better start doing stuff with these talented guys we're wasting because they'll have a place to go to soon" mode, as seen with the renewed push for Andrade Cien... uhh... ANDRADE. 

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Mike has shown me less than zero

Nope, he's the drizzling shits, regardless of which company he's in. He's also an addict, so no way if I were running a business I'd bring him in.

Also Mario is 36, can't work & just had a baby. I wouldn't bring her in either. What is she going to do? Apron ass spots like in Japan? Doesn't really bring a lot of value.

1 hour ago, MikeCampbell said:

In Dolph's case, it's more like he doesn't intend to re-sign. His contract expires January 31st.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Nope, he's the drizzling shits, regardless of which company he's in. He's also an addict, so no way if I were running a business I'd bring him in.

Also Mario is 36, can't work & just had a baby. I wouldn't bring her in either. What is she going to do? Apron ass spots like in Japan? Doesn't really bring a lot of value.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he has overcome his addictions. Doesn't seem like that should be held against him for the rest of his life. Plenty of legitimate reasons not to want to bring the guy in. 

Maria is a great personality IMO. I wouldn't break the bank for her or anything, but she's someone I'd gladly add to any roster in a non-wrestling role. Unfortunately, she and Bootleg Heath Slater come as a package deal.

They were DOA the minute they joined the WWE. I've never seen a worse debut in my life.

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

They were DOA the minute they joined the WWE. I've never seen a worse debut in my life.

Shockmaster.

But yeah, they were doomed. At some point you wonder why they sign all those people they have clearly no idea what the fuck to do with. Well, these days you know why (aka prevent any other company from existing and killing the indie scene if possible), but really...

8 minutes ago, El-P said:

Shockmaster.

But yeah, they were doomed. At some point you wonder why they sign all those people they have clearly no idea what the fuck to do with. Well, these days you know why (aka prevent any other company from existing and killing the indie scene if possible), but really...

Granted, WWE "creative" is partly to blame there. The entire gimmick seems like a giant rib against Mike and how they never really wanted him in the first place, only Maria, so how was that ever supposed to be a success?

As for Shockmaster, I'd call that more successful. At least it was amazing to watch live, memorable as hell (for all the wrong reasons), and they did get a brief run out of it with the clumsy "Uncle Fred" gimmick. Contrast that to the PPV debut segment of Mike and Maria Kannelis, which died on the vine, got zero reaction, was forgotten about ten minutes after it happened, and is only being discussed now because they supposedly asked for their releases.

Obviously, in terms of big business, WCW probably lost a lot more by botching Shockmaster as badly as they did. He could have presumably been a decent upper-midcard or even main event player for them (well, maybe not main event). Mike's ceiling was probably never going to be that high. Impact did a great job of making him seem like a big deal with the "Miracle" tease, but wasn't everyone deflated when it was revealed to be, "oh, just Maria's bland ROH guy we've kind of heard of but not really."

6 minutes ago, C.S. said:

As for Shockmaster, I'd call that more successful. At least it was amazing to watch live, memorable as hell (for all the wrong reasons), and they did get a brief run out of it with the clumsy "Uncle Fred" gimmick.

That's a good point. :)

I don't care one way of another about Mike (I seem to remember him being the decent worker in tags with Bobby Fish or something, but I was too occupied to crack up at Liger being all over Maria's ass), and apparently no one does, really, but Maria like you said has a great personality and I've heard nothing but good things about her short TNA stint. So there, wouldn't mind to see her do something fun again somewhere.

Mike would probably be fine in a tag team or as part of a stable run by Maria, but I'm guessing WWE doesn't want to showcase Maria quite that much. Either way, giving Mike a henpecked husband gimmick killed him dead right off the bat. What was the point? Even if Mike isn't awesome, purposely sandbagging his chances seems like a waste of time and money to me. Unless this was one of those things Vince found funny (Red Rooster, polka dot Dusty, etc.) and thinks the talent should make the most of? To be fair, Mike seemed to try to make it work. 

Maria was awesome as the valet/manager for the Kingdom in ROH, and she was pretty good again in her role with Impact. She got heat for both herself & her man by way of the Punk stuff in ROH though. She also never shied away from eating bumps in those Kingdom tags - apron bumps, table bumps, you name it. The chick was game.

Seems a bit silly if anyone's sick or tired of hearing that people were good in other places. Perhaps a forum discussing wrestling isn't the place to be if you get upset or irritated at the idea of hearing about good wrestling. Just a thought though.

10 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

Seems a bit silly if anyone's sick or tired of hearing that people were good in other places. Perhaps a forum discussing wrestling isn't the place to be if you get upset or irritated at the idea of hearing about good wrestling. Just a thought though.

Because it's largely irrelevant. Those people aren't in those places anymore. Lighting ROH (or wherever) on fire is likely not going to change a damn thing about their current career trajectory. It's useful for, "Hey, here's some cool shit to check out on YouTube and Vimeo," but that's about it. The only exception is when contracts come up and we see if these people actually jump to AEW, NJPW, or whenever and attempt to recapture whatever they supposedly had before. I definitely think there's a lot of potential for that.

BTW, I agree with everything you said about Maria. I'm kinda surprised people here are seemingly lukewarm on her. I get that she's kind of tainted by association because of Mediocre Mike, but that isn't necessarily fair.

The  word is that Mike Bennett wants to return to ROH. Bennett and Taven are boys , so it makes sense. Plus  , ROH is starting to pay more money these days. As for the WWE guys , McMahon can only throw temporary road blocks in their path. In the end whoever  AEW wants from the WWE , they will sign.  Mcmahon cannot hold  the talent prisoner forever. Conracts run out. If the AEW offers comparable money , some type of health coverage,fewer dates and more creative freedom , they be able to get the top talent.. Rhodes knows the deal. He spent years being micro managed by the WWE system .

51 minutes ago, Memphis Mark said:

The  word is that Mike Bennett wants to return to ROH. Bennett and Taven are boys , so it makes sense. Plus  , ROH is starting to pay more money these days. As for the WWE guys , McMahon can only throw temporary road blocks in their path. In the end whoever  AEW wants from the WWE , they will sign.  Mcmahon cannot hold  the talent prisoner forever. Conracts run out. If the AEW offers comparable money , some type of health coverage,fewer dates and more creative freedom , they be able to get the top talent.. Rhodes knows the deal. He spent years being micro managed by the WWE system .

Temporary roadblocks can be incredibly expensive to litigate, especially when the other side has unlimited resources and is willing to drag things out as long as possible. I'm certain WWE will try to make examples out of any talent that tries to leave.

7 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'm certain WWE will try to make examples out of any talent that tries to leave.

Which may give some other workers on the market some thinking to do before getting locked up with WWE for years, now that several companies are gonna be willing to spend good money for talent.

Does anyone else find it strange how opposed to having any kind of competition Vince and WWE have become?

Vince never struck me as a guy who was afraid of a challenge, and during the height of the Monday night era, competition made the business thrive, and WWE rose up and fought back and won, and god knows we have heard the story a billion fucking times, so we know they love that shit.

But now they are sitting on a massively bloated roster. They are signing people left and right, seemingly just so they don't sign elsewhere. They hardly ever release anyone unless they do something really stupid. Now there was that rumor today that they are willing to pay guys twice whatever they are being offered if they can show it too them in writing because they are embarrassed Bandido chose RoH over them

I just don't get it. For fucks sake, they are the biggest wrestling company on the planet! It's not like a little bit of healthy competition is going to take away the whole fan base. Are they really that worried that they might have to start putting effort into their product again?

Am I way off base here? Has it always been this way? What do you guys think?

• Loss pinned and locked this topic
  • Loss unlocked and unpinned this topic