goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

I'm not sure i agree with this really. The way things are reported on the internet can't be helped really, but in terms of the "real glass" scenario and Perry mouthing off on camera at the biggest show they've got, while working with "real glass". That does enhance Perry even he "loses" the supposed backstage fight/confrontation

Punk thrives on these false flag scenarios, it is a core part of his character really. Pipe bomb, press conference etc

A good time to work the internet is when you have two PPVs in a week. 

Don't buy it

Cui bono? I mean Punk not working a Chicago PPV (that does not really have an announced card four days before the event) seems to be a worst case scenario for AEW.

"Why are there monitors eight feet in the air at gorilla? They're usually on a table" doesn't get asked much.

There's intrigue and controversy surrounding the home-town hero a week before a PPV? Heavens to Betsy. Punk's turning up in Chicago. So are the punters.

8 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

I'm not sure i agree with this really. The way things are reported on the internet can't be helped really, but in terms of the "real glass" scenario and Perry mouthing off on camera at the biggest show they've got, while working with "real glass". That does enhance Perry even he "loses" the supposed backstage fight/confrontation

Punk thrives on these false flag scenarios, it is a core part of his character really. Pipe bomb, press conference etc

A good time to work the internet is when you have two PPVs in a week. 

Don't buy it

I'm with ya, Dale. 

Cornette has talked about back in the day Heyman thought everything was a work too. Maybe we're just wired like that. There are works that don't necessarily play out in the ring. You might argue "the money's in the match" but not necessarily. I think Perry is working like Pillman. There are "semi" worked/worked shoots where not everybody involved is smart.

On 8/30/2023 at 2:58 AM, Robert S said:

BTW, I made the mistake to listen to Cornette's opinion on the whole thing and of course it's something along the lines of "people get guzzled (sp?) in wrestling all the time, just fire the jobber, the veteran knows what he is doing". To show how deep in the old-school wrestling bubble he is stuck at, Corny was surprised that Brian Last never had to "guzzle" someone in his regular daily life.

This was Cornette saying obviously absurd things so Brian Last could be the straight man. It's like half their schtick. He says all sorts of wacky shit about products they sponsor that are about as sensible as "you never had to goozle somebody in your daily life?" ("This cereal will grow your bald head back! It will increase the length of your manhood!" "No, no, that's not right...")

16 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I would have gone to Dynamite tonight in Indy if it weren't for every service having a 40% to 50% add on in "fees". That's fucking absurd. Factor in parking and it is nearly triple the actual ticket price.

AEW ticket prices are ridiculous. Here in Canada you can get great seats for a WWE live show, or Raw or Smackdown for around $100 per ticket. Depending on the seat, you can pay as little as $50-$60.

AEW tickets were going for $325 per seat for Dynamite/Rampage/Collision and don’t even get me started on how much those PPV tickets were going for. Small wonder that they couldn’t sell out any arenas on the recent Canadian tour. They ended up cutting their prices at the last minute and desperately trying to give away tickets for dirt cheap, but it was too late.

No, the ticket prices are fine. It's the fees added by the ticket dealers that are insane. The tickets themselves start at $20 for bottom row of the upper bowl, and $50 for lower bowl. I think the ringside was like $400 something. I'm talking about the add on fees from dealers/venues, which are an absolute scam to be able to double or triple actual ticket prices for absolutely nothing added. That's not something AEW controls.

9 minutes ago, strobogo said:

It's been a decade since I went to a WWE show but I don't recall those being taken into consideration for the baseline ticket prices. It's just that the broker/venue fees have continued to skyrocket. 

I only discovered the difference when AEW Dynamite came to Toronto for the first time. The ticket prices for the cheapest seats were $325. I couldn’t believe it was that much for a single seat, so I checked, because WWE Raw had been in town not that long before and I wanted to compare. I discovered that the same seat had been $60 for WWE. I guess you could make the argument that Dynamite sold out and WWE did not, so it was “peak demand pricing” but still. 

4 hours ago, strobogo said:

No, the ticket prices are fine. It's the fees added by the ticket dealers that are insane. The tickets themselves start at $20 for bottom row of the upper bowl, and $50 for lower bowl. I think the ringside was like $400 something. I'm talking about the add on fees from dealers/venues, which are an absolute scam to be able to double or triple actual ticket prices for absolutely nothing added. That's not something AEW controls.

I suppose you could consider the venue fees as part of the rent by the company that is paid by the customers in the end, i.e. the rent would be significantly higher for AEW etc. if they would not add fees to the ticket prizes.

Yeah, I have a strong feeling that WWE will make her an absolute superstar. She always felt detached from the rest of the women in AEW since her role was just to steamroll everyone until Statlander came back. She’s going to come in to WWE with the rocket and be presented like a total star. Also, it would be very funny if Jax was only brought back to make Jade look good

I'm hoping for the best for her but am bummed she's leaving AEW. She was always bright spot on the show to me. 

I'm also wondering what TK was thinking having her come back last week and lay everyone out if he had any reason to believe she might be leaving. Did she play him? If so...I dunno. I almost always side with wrestlers over promoters and I don't think Jade did anything wrong necessarily because it is a business and there are two sides to everything, but still, if she led TK to believe that she was re-signing, got booked accordingly, and then told him, "Actually, I'm bouncing," that's a kinda shitty thing to do. Especially 'cuz I feel like last week, she gave an interview and said that AEW had treated her well.

Plus there was some talk last year - or maybe it was more like 2 years ago now? - that Danielson had taken her under his wing a bit and was working with her. I kinda wanted to see her blossom in AEW just because AEW's women's division needs capital-S Superstars like her. I'm not sure she's ready to get "the rocket" yet on the main roster in WWE, but NXT was a great training ground for Bianca and others and she definitely has "it."

I hate to play the pessimist, though, but I could also see this being the beginning of the end. In AEW, she shined because the talent level (in general) is much lower than in the WWE and the talent she worked with most were very clearly working to make her look great in the hopes that, if they did that well enough, maybe they'd get a shot of their own just by playing plucky underdogs against the dominant heel. In NXT/WWE, I could see there being possibly a less "cooperative" locker room. Obviously, everyone's a professional and I don't think anyone's going to shoot on her, but ultimately, if you can't hold your own against a Bayley or even a Nikki Cross (let alone Charlotte or Becky), the agents/producers can only do so much with you before they move on. We just saw that exact scenario play out with Lacey Evans, a "can't miss prospect" that got a few chances but ultimately fizzled out because...well...she wasn't good enough to hang.