Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

Fight Forever has been getting some nice DLC updates. First was Hook/Danhausen, then the Acclaimed + the resigned Dynamite stage, and they added a Beat the Elite mode where you face off against 9 random opponents and the 10th is a member of the Elite. There's one more listed as part of the Season 2 pack called "The STORM is coming" so I would assume that means the game is about to get timeless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

So, months removed after Joe vanquished evil and restored the feeling... how do you guys feel about the MJF reign?

To me it hurt the perception people had of him, and it kinda killed the company's momentum, which is crazy. They went from essentially selling out Wembley to low ratings and low ticket sales. Crazy shit.

28 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

So, months removed after Joe vanquished evil and restored the feeling... how do you guys feel about the MJF reign?

To me it hurt the perception people had of him, and it kinda killed the company's momentum, which is crazy. They went from essentially selling out Wembley to low ratings and low ticket sales. Crazy shit.

I think your are conflating different things. The company's momentum had died before MJF even had the belt, and acting like All In gave them any legit momentum is not accurate. All the things that happened in 2022 (in AEW and WWE) slowly but surely reduced AEW's rise and put it in the position it's been for the past 18 months or so. 

Wembley happened when ratings were already down and ticket sales were also going steadily down across the board and showing bad advances. All In was an oasis that had little to do with what the AEW or any of the wrestlers were doing (shit, it sold like 65k tickets without a single match announced). And the most over act in that show was MJF and Cole.

Not very different from what is happening right now with Revolution. Which sold out and made them open up new areas to sell more tickets and is shaping up to be of their biggest PPVs ever. All in a context were the company is basically in the same place it was 4 months ago when MJF was still champ and it didn't look like he was going to lose the belt any time soon.

MJF was fine as champ until he turned face, at which point he basically became the Youngest Buck in terms of the style and nature of his work, just absolutely insufferable winking, nodding bullshit. The company was in a secular decline/stagnation/whatever before he won the title, and to the extent that his reign hurt the company, I think it’s because A) he and Tony allowed the top title to become a barely-present prop in a midcard comedy tag team, and B ) their plans got scrambled like 6 times. He was clearly supposed to win it from Punk, then that didn’t happen. He was clearly supposed to resume feuding with Punk when Punk came back from his injury/suspension, then that didn’t happen. He was supposed to have a one off storyline with Adam Cole, that got weirdly over. That was supposed to bubble for a while, then Adam got hurt. Then MJF got hurt. Bad decisions and bad luck all around.

In that case, why isn't Paul Turner suspended either? He was the referee assigned to this match. If he didn't properly relay to Sammy that Jeff was concussed, he should be held accountable as well.

The ultimate responsibility lies with the referee and the medical staff, but it's not unreasonable to expect Sammy to recognize something was wrong when his finisher involves hoisting his opponent on his shoulders. If he did know or suspect and blew it off because he had to get his shit in, that should be a firing offense.

The Four Pillars of AEW: 

MJF after a year+ title reign, he's been gone for months and his absence has not been felt at all.

Sammy: How many times has he been suspended or missed time for injuries or hurt someone doing stupid shit now?

Jungle Boy: Suspended to fighting with Punk, Punk has already returned to WWE and been injured and yet Jungle Boy is I guess working NJ now instead of returning to AEW?

Darby: The only dependable mf keeping the company on stable ground

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

MJF after a year+ title reign, he's been gone for months and his absence has not been felt at all.

As an MJF fan, this is sad but true.

It also feels weird how Omega's absence isn't felt either. I guess him coming back last time and having a weird run of hot and cold runs downplayed his importance in the company but I still feel he should be able to help push the company to higher levels if given a bigger role when he comes back.

Assuming this isn't a (bad) storyline, just fire the guy.

Doesn't draw a dime, doesn't move the needle, isn't very interesting as a wrestler or character, won't help WWE, and his absence won't affect AEW at all.

Sami's WWE ceiling would be NXT North American Champion and a random meaningless U.S. Title reign.

With that said, the referee and Tony Khan deserve their share of the blame as well - maybe more TK if the ref isn't empowered to go against the finish and stop the match in these cases.

Darby is the only pillar that feels integral and needed in the company right now. With other young guys like Garcia, Yuta, Starks, Hook, Wardlow, Hobbs, Top Flight, among others to fill various roles on-screen, the other 3 pillars feel more expendable than ever since AEW first started.

MJF was over as fuck during his entire title reign and totally overdelivered in the ring. AEW had a great year on PPV, which was headlined by MJF title defense. MJF/Adam Cole was the hottest thing in the company for as long as it lasted. The fact his absence is not missed on TV, just like Omega, doesn't reflect on him, it reflects on the fact AEW's main event scene is really hot right now. And yes, speaking strictly personally, I enjoy the current main event scene a whole lot more than MJF's reign, which I did enjoy quite a bit despite some of the stuff (well, the MJF/Cole thingy) not being my alley.

Sammy Guevara is becoming more and more a case of what if. Maybe needs a change of scenery. Or attitude. Or both. 

Jack Perry going to NJPW (as an AEW contracted talent) was an interesting twist. He just joined the House of Torture. So here goes nothing. Him coming back in AEW eventually as a heel will be intriguing though.

Darby has been the most compelling of the four, since day one, and still is.

The fifth pillar is probably coming back at some point too, and hopefully she regains the edge she had when she was really fun and got over by being a bitch to Tony Schiavone as opposed to being your stereotypical "This is my house" kinda promo.

Wardlow is the most overpushed wrestler in AEW's history. It's ridiculous. If half the effort of pushing and protecting him had been given to someone like Hobbs or Archer, you'd have a monster star already. 

Ricky Starks, oh well, when you actually look back at his run thus far the guy has been wildly inconsistant and was last seen being completely overshadowed by Big Bill. After all these years and despite being regularly featured in big feuds, the guy never really sustained overness nor constant quality (both in promos/in-ring, which varies from terrific, mostly when he's in with great workers, to just ok and sometimes even boring). My verdict after watching him for the last 6 years or so, is that he's been overrated, by myself included. Maybe WWE would suit him better, although at this point it's debatable. They are so hot and so big that anyone being put under the limelights right now is gonna de facto become a whole lot bigger (see also, Jade Cargill, although she really has done jackshit and from what I've seen at the Rumble, she's the exact same worker she was in AEW, an overpushed rookie, not a diss, just a fact), but I'd say, they already have LA Knight, who is the same kind of profile. Plus, now that Dwayne is part of the show, it would make it extra-hard for Starks to stand out for obvious reasons.

Ok, now we're talking. The garbage blue and red WWE-lite color scheme is finally gone. Tunnels are back.

mja0odi3odg4mjyyote1nde4.webp

Says how much they thought of Sting and how significant he was to them that they consider his retirement to be the launch of an entire new season.