Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

I thought the main reason for the new set is because they are planning on running smaller arenas due to their terrible ticket sales. Apparently the old set (especially the lighting rig) was too big to fit into most of the smaller places they are now planning on running.

That’s also why they got rid of Raffael Morbi and brought in Kosha Irby. Rumor has it TK finally clued into the fact that blocking off half the arena and averaging 2-3000 fans in a 15-18,000 seat area was making AEW look more like WCW.

I hope it works for them. I am all for AEW running smaller “ECW sized” arenas. It really adds to the atmosphere to have a packed house in a smaller arena as opposed to a 3/4 empty house in a big arena.

They are back in Toronto soon, and they are running the Coca-Cola Coliseum (7000 seats) rather than the Scotiabank Arena (18,000 seats) which is a very smart call.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I hope it works for them. I am all for AEW running smaller “ECW sized” arenas. It really adds to the atmosphere to have a packed house in a smaller arena as opposed to a 3/4 empty house in a big arena.

Yep. To me, the more intimate the better. I'd take a red hot ECW, Korakuen Hall or Lucha Underground (although we're not talking about *that* small) show over any kind of huge arena. I'd be perfectly happy with AEW running smaller places.

43 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Miro's run has been an all-timer. TK essentially paid for his divorce. 

Miro and Andrade were completely exposed in AEW.

Andrade eventually made his way back to WWE, and Miro probably will too, but it'll be more of the same for them.

The Redeemer was actually awesome. Plans got derailed by injuries and a case of "that doesn't work for me brothers",  apparently. Same issues were had by Malakai Black, who never EVER does any single job. There was clearly a lesson to be learned with this kind of very much WWE-brained guys.

The only thing I hope now is that Mercedes is not gonna be one of them and that the interview bit was just her being honest to a fault (which very well might be the case).

As far as Miro & CJ splitting, private matters. I wonder what that means for either of them in AEW, as the creative has to change if they get back on TV.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

The only thing I hope now is that Mercedes is not gonna be one of them and that the interview bit was just her being honest to a fault (which very well might be the case).

What did Mercedes say?

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

What did Mercedes say?

In some interview a few days ago, she was asked about if she would ever go back to WWE one day, and she answered "For sure, I have no doubt I'll be back in WWE one day" and such. Like I said it's maybe just being honest to a fault, as it seems perfectly reasonable for her to go back eventually. But the timing of it makes it super awkward, and some in AEW could take it as a lack of respect as she is just gonna make her big debut. I believe the answer was edited out of the interview after the fact too, but it still leaked.

The other thing about Mercedes, is that she first got told her ankle injury was career ending. Hopefully she made a good recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

who

I know I've mentioned it before, but it is pretty interesting/funny that the only pillar whose absence is ever felt is Darby. And currently all 4 aren't on TV. The other 3 make zero impact when missing no matter how hard they're pushed and featured.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:54 PM, The Thread Killer said:

. I am all for AEW running smaller “ECW sized” arenas. It really adds to the atmosphere to have a packed house in a smaller arena as opposed to a 3/4 empty house in a big arena.

My go-to is how when World Class was hot, the Sportatorium was packed to the rafters and young me wanted to go there so bad. Didn't matter that it was a piece of shit old barn, the atmosphere was amazing.

I still think MJF has a ton of potential & I think he's really good. He's also still super young. However, when he was in MLW, I didn't think he was a far-and-away ready-to-be-made star either & seeing him in AEW, he never felt like a big fish in a small pond, or a talent that was being held back from his potential. I actually think he would be better off in WWE but I don't really see him as a top guy. More in the Miz & Kofi range, but both of those guys were world champions too. 

Darby feels more special. He's like a Jeff Hardy for a new generation of fans.

I think the ball in AEW has been dropped the most with Brody King and, of all people, Danhausen. It's odd to me that they can find a place for Orange Cassidy but Danhausen is an afterthought. That dude could have so much merch & toys for kids & he barely makes TV. I would also probably try to build around Takeshita more. Swerve should also be a top guy.

14 hours ago, Kadaveri said:

Danhausen would probably be featured more if he weren't constantly injured.

To be fair, his whole schtick probably still works if he didn't wrestle at all. Like, a comedy manager. Like a pro-wrestling Sammy Terry.

The current All Elite (3.0, if you will) may very well be the most amazing roster ever in term of in-ring talent. It's just mind-blowing, and that's what AEW should aspire to be. Now I just want the MCMG to get signed and have a very much deserved stint as a top tag team in a big company, to complete that picture.

9 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Replacing the Hardy's with MCMG soundd like right move.

Yup, exactly. Except you don't use the MCMG like the Hardys of course. The Bucks, FTR, Callis boys, BCC, the Kingdom, House of Black, Lucha Brothers whenever Fénix is back, every other young team they got. Please. PLEASE.

So much for AEW not releasing wrestlers...

While I won't pretend any of those are essential names who have been used recently or well at all, I feel for Stu Grayson, and I'm mildly surprised about The Boys because of their link to Dalton Castle (even though I think there was a split recently?).

20 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I'm mildly surprised about The Boys because of their link to Dalton Castle (even though I think there was a split recently?).

they were seemingly mid-storyline as Johnny TV had defeated Dalton to "win custody of the Boys" which I guess was writing them off instead of Dalton eventually winning them back.

45 minutes ago, Alucard said:

they were seemingly mid-storyline as Johnny TV had defeated Dalton to "win custody of the Boys" which I guess was writing them off instead of Dalton eventually winning them back.

Just odd. Even if they're "split up" for now, why risk alienating Dalton Castle - and possibly Johnny Honor Club - by releasing a major component of Dalton's act for no reason? 

Unless Castle is pivoting away from his current persona? 

7 hours ago, Alucard said:

Fightful reports AEW have released:
Stu Grayson
Dasha Kuret
The Boys
Anthony Henry
Slim J
Gravity
Jose the Assistant
Parker Boudreaux
Jora Johl 

I guess this was inevitable at some point, especially when you have such a bloated roster.

Still. I don't get the Stu Grayson deal. He was not re-signed, then re-signed, then he worked on ROH for a while, then disappeared, now gets cut ? Hope he ends up in TNA or something, the guy is really good. The Boys is even more puzzling, unless basically Dalton ends up a goner too after his feud with Johnny TV, which has been super fun btw, or he just switches an act that has gone for a long-ass time while now. Anthony Henry, now that one sucks. He and JD Drake are an excellent and super fun team, and the guy just broke his jaw. Kinda WWE-like move on that one. And Dasha, noooo not Dasha ! She and Tony Schiavone were such a fun pair at the beginning of AEW and during the pandemic. I'd rather have her doing the ring announcing (despite the occasional mistakes) than Justin Robert and his fake-ass creepy smile. She really was one of the OGs.

I never ever understood why Jose the Assistant was in the picture to begin with. Parker Boudreaux choose one hell of a time to do an interview about him still being in the company (will he still do the AAA show ? I would hope so, one AEW talent less on a show headlined with Alberto is a good thing, AEW should just pull out completely really). The guy has shown basically jackshit both in WWE and AEW, and ended up being cut out of both major companies. Maybe Corgan will get him... Gravity was kinda cool though still green, and they don't even use Komander right. Come back later I guess. Slim J was a cool indy scene veteran. I don't remember who Jora Johl is, to be honest. So there.

Meanwhile, Jacked Jameson is still employed. Yeah, sorry, I have to vent about this eventually. I do like the former Bear Country guys as workers, especially Boulder, but the Iron Savages gimmick is the cringest shit I've seen in pro-wrestling in forever, it makes me embarrassed to watch it every time. I have no fucking idea who the fuck Jacked Jameson is and why is he actually featured. He has to be someone's Brutus Beefcake.

Overall, it seems pretty random overall, and unless some of these people asked for their release (I could see Stu Grayson doing it, I highly doubt Dasha did), I don't see the point and it breaks with the perception of AEW not cutting people unless they really did something bad (or are just bad at their job and aren't used because of it like Boudreaux).