Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 01/14 - 01/20 Bolsonarism is taking us to the Middle Ages

KawadaSmile

Just to piggy-back onto some of the Bobby Lashley discussion earlier, his Spear on RAW was the truth. More of that, please.

I hated his first run in WWE. They kept trying to book him as this big, powerhouse wrestler with superhuman strength like Goldberg. He was never going to be that dude. They kept trying to have him do big power spots & he was slipping, tripping over his own feet, dropping people, etc. He was always better served as the big, strong guy that's deceptively fast & agile. The best thing he did in his first run was when he went flying into the cage to get to Umaga. Now he's doing a big, fast, flipping spear & and it looks great. He doesn't need to try to hit a running powerslam on The Big Show.

Don't try to make him Goldberg or Lesnar. He's more like a Mike Awesome or Ron Simmons.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

So Mike came in with a painkiller addiction and went to rehab on WWE's dime. Then Maria got pregnant and went on WWE-funded maternity leave. And now they want out. They've managed to out-carny WWE, which is quite a feat.

Can't say they weren't smart on that one. Good on them - although I do feel that they also wanted to be featured more on TV, which is also OK.

7 hours ago, Coffey said:

Just to piggy-back onto some of the Bobby Lashley discussion earlier, his Spear on RAW was the truth. More of that, please.

Hell yes! It ain't as pretty as Roman's, but the fact he does that little flip after contact makes it stand out

9 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

So Mike came in with a painkiller addiction and went to rehab on WWE's dime. Then Maria got pregnant and went on WWE-funded maternity leave. And now they want out. They've managed to out-carny WWE, which is quite a feat.

It was obvious from the very first day they weren't do jackshit with them anyway. So yeah, good for them if they can get out and sign with either ROH, iMPACT or AEW.

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also it seems that Ziggler might be done with WWE, as he turned down an offer to be a producer.

I saw this, and it boggles the mind that anyone would want that dork laying out matches and/or coming up with angles/promos/etc.

IIRC, Ziggler signed a new contract not too long ago. I believe the contract was for 2-3 years. If he is really leaving, he may be exercising his out clause? Marie and Mike were a lame act since day one. Not WWE day one, just day one in general. M&M is an act signed by WWE purely for the purpose of that act not going anywhere else and potentially make another company money.

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also it seems that Ziggler might be done with WWE, as he turned down an offer to be a producer.

But, taken into consideration that he's WWE's Kenny Omega (in more ways than one, but in this case it's yearly rumors of his release), I won't get my hopes up.

I’m not even a huge Kenny fan but this is just too damn far.

1 hour ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

I’m not even a huge Kenny fan but this is just too damn far.

The only thing him and Ziggler have in common is curly hair.

That being said, WWE is such a shitty overproduced environment that I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone leaving them to try to do something elsewhere. Yeah, even Shawn/BillyGunn cosplayer Ziggler. Hell, who would have bet a dollar on Cody Rhodes or Juice Robinson ? Look at them now, how far they have grown in every way. (it works both ways though, some guys/girls only look good thanks to the overproduced environment and will get badly exposed trying to work elsewhere while trying to do WWE style)

I believe that Rhodes and Juice are the outliers, though. People like Ryback, Swagger, Barrett and Sandow surely benefitted from being in the shitty overproduced environment that is WWE.

Cody had a valuable name more than anything, and fair fucks to him, he is very good at promoting himself, even if his matches aren't exactly good - he kind of became a meme for how incredibly average his matches against the top indie stars were.

The most improved surely is Juice, though.. The gimmick he had as CJ Parker was a less extreme version of what Daniel Bryan is doing right now, but he is the best example of being rewarded for hard work and determination. 

I find it hard to believe that a dude like Ziggler, who doesn't seem to have many aspirations in wrestling anymore, is going to be a success case. He does seem keen on pursuing comedy, though.

4 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

People like Ryback, Swagger, Barrett and Sandow surely benefitted from being in the shitty overproduced environment that is WWE.

Man, you don't say. The few I've seen from Swagger in WWE, he always looked quite good if not better. When he showed up in LU, he immediately became a sore spot to the point of hampering my enjoyment of the show. Same, or even worse, in MLW where his total lack of charisma was on full display. This guy so needs to wear a mask and just throw people around and never do the ankle lock, he'd be a decent JTTS a-la Black Blood or something (I'm so dating myself).

The problem with Zigs is that his character is literally "I will steal the show. EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT!!!" What the fuck is that? That isn't a character. We know nothing about him, except that he comes across as the partially aborted baby of HBK and Mr. Perfect, with the wire-hanger taking out the best aspects of both and leaving us with what's left in Ziggler. (Too much? I get carried away sometimes.) :D

To be honest, I don't even hate Ziggler. I just don't care about him. I would be curious to see what he'd do outside of the WWE system though. My guess is he'd be another Mr. Anderson or Damien Sandow type though - decent but nothing indicating that WWE exactly lost out on undiscovered potential. 

Dolph has never been better than that period where he was the boy toy to widowed, wannabe-cougar Vickie Guerrero. Their act was awesome when packaged together like that.

To your point about his lack of character (dead on, by the way), at least he seemed to have a role. And it was universally understood that he's this young dude taking advantage of this mutually beneficial situation with this older woman.

Once they were split up, that was the beginning of the end for Dolph. He's had brief glimmers of hope here & there (Survivor Series 2014, the concussion match with Alberto, the No Mercy match with Miz), but nothing truly comparable.

I know some people dug the Big E/AJ Lee alliance, but that dynamic was all off from the jump. That felt to me like them just throwing up their hands and settling into the idea that he's going to be a Shawn impersonator & that's okay.

At least the Vickie stuff felt unique to him. I'm fully aware that it was done with Edge directly before that, but I actually prefer the Dolph/Vickie pairing. Vickie had REALLY hit her stride by that point, whereas she was still sort of finding her niche for a good chunk of the Edge run. Edge was better with Lita on his arm, whereas Dolph was better being the man-cub of midlife crisis Vickie.

The Miz feud was dope (I mean, it brought back the Spirit Squad and it was dope as shit), but the Ambrose affair just isn't completely forgetable because their Summerslam match sucked hard.

Honestly, I don't remember one dude who's had as many championships in his resume and yet failed to be over as much as Ziggler did. KO is awful and spent most of his WWE carrer holding a title belt, but people actually liked him. Ziggler comes out to crickets. He has a record scratch over the sound of silence. It's horrible.

Remember that segment where he threw the most half-hearted temper tantrum in the locker room? Straight out Tommy Wiseau's playbook.

5 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also, regarding Andrade getting his name shortened: are we forgetting that Elias used to be called Elias Samson? Wild, ain't it?

"WHO WANTS TO WALK WITH A LION?!?"

... Call me crazy, but I preferred it when he had the last name.

I get Vince's logic about single names "sticking" with people if they catch on, but I believe those are really rare exceptions.

If everyone on your payroll is running around with one name, well then you don't automatically have an army of megastars. You've basically just got a bunch of indistinguishable nobodies with no last names.

I actually don't mind the move for Andrade, funnily enough. At least his still sounds unique on its own.

9 hours ago, Strummer said:

weren't they really mad at Maria at the end of her initial run because she asked for creative control of her character and wanted to pursue outside projects?  I swear I remember she had a ton of heat on her from the office so kinda surprised they brought her back

I thought it was because she talked shit about the Bellas.