Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 02/25 - 03/03 THE BIG DAWG IS BACK

KawadaSmile

19 minutes ago, DMJ said:

^ How can we reduce this into a sign I can pass out outside of Fastlane next week? (I'm not going, but its near my house)

I'm not as down on the Twitter beef stuff as most, but yeah, this just didn't click with anyone. Like, usually, if people hate it here, you might still find fans who think its cool or even buy into it on reddit, but everybody is shitting on it. 

If you're going to do the Twitter thing, why not take shots at each other that still work in kayfabe? Rousey can say how nobody thought a women's match would headline Mania till she showed up and Becky is just the lucky contest winner to lose to her next. She can say that nobody outside the WWE Universe knows who she is. Hell, get personal and talk about how Becky was a failed actress or, get real nasty, and throw in a line about how she'd like to shove her fist down Becky's throat - but Becky would be too used to that*. And Becky, well, she can retort with any number of failings - personal and professional - Rousey has had in the public eye. 

You can push the envelope and "blur the lines" and build mystique and have people wondering if these two have real, legit beef without going over board.

In fact, does anyone recall the Alexa Bliss/Sasha Banks match from last year (or the year before)? People were wondering if they were going to potato each other based on random, cryptic tweets from months prior and IIRC the fact that they didn't follow each other on Instagram. I think someone reported that they weren't friends in NXT and peopled believed we were going to see a shoot fight. Maybe the lesson is less is more?

EDIT - * that was meant as a reference to bulimia, not fellatio.

How does making reference to an eating disorder work in kayfabe then?

Has the character of Becky Lynch ever been presented on tv as having bulimia? 

There is plenty of ammunition available to both Becky and Ronda without having to go down the route of body shaming and eating disorders in 2019.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst part is they seem to still want to portray Ronda as a noble babyface, but when she's presumably left to her own devices her natural unlikability keeps taking over.  At least if she's been a heel on TV there would be an aspect of "well she's just doing a non TV PG version of her character*", instead of coming off as unhinged and disconnected from what's presented on TV.

*which still wouldn't give her a pass on the boneheaded things she's said, but would at least be something of a defense.

Most of Ronda's wrestling related posts are in Kayfabe even her post match interviews that they post on the website is in Kayfabe like she was in real fight. Ronda is more protective of the business than most anyone else on the roster and  her of all people dont have to be and I respect that. I  think Becky is frequent with the tweets now that is defeating the purpose of it. Throwing little jabs here and there is cool but now its overkill. I don't think Ronda looks good going back and forth with Becky on twitter as if  she's every other woman on the roster 

What's especially silly about all of this is none of it is going to overshadow Charlotte in the end. She consistently looks the best on promos and has legitimate star presence. As good as Ronda is in the ring, she's a bumbling idiot out there most of the time on the mic. I don't see the Becky character sustaining itself with post-Mania over-exposer when she's an active worker. Hope they prove me wrong, but I really don't see either of the Twitter girls being the focus of the company like Charlotte is going to be.  

If recent history is any indication, you're safe in assuming Becky is doomed. She's a baby face, and this company cannot resist the urge. They are only capable of presenting & promoting babyfaces as ONE type of character now - the lifelong fan with a dream. That's it. That's literally where their creativity begins & ends.

It's only a matter of time before they abandon the Stone Cold tribute act altogether & have her come out to stand in the ring and declare her lifelong fandom. And talk about her dreams. And basically be a carbon copy of every other baby face on their roster.

Beyond that, yeah. There's ZERO demand for a Stone Cold character in our society in 2019. I hate that, but it's true. I mean, I'm not denying that it's over with diehard wrestling fans within the bubble. Because it absolutely is.

But nobody in the real world is calling for it. Every instance of trash-talk is met with outrage. People are whining (even here) about how it's too far if they mention body type, or weight, or height, or eating disorders, or their past discretions, or their real life mistakes, or... Fucking ANYTHING really.

No insult is safe. No insult is fair game in 2019. So pro wrestling promos are basically these ineffective, neutered blocks of inconsequential dialogue. I'm not entirely sure what THIS is, but it ain't pro wrestling promos. It's just a bunch of talking to fill time. It's fucking filibustering.

1 minute ago, SomethingSavage said:

If recent history is any indication, you're safe in assuming Becky is doomed. She's a baby face, and this company cannot resist the urge. They are only capable of presenting & promoting babyfaces as ONE type of character now - the lifelong fan with a dream. That's it. That's literally where their creativity begins & ends.

Beyond that, yeah. There's ZERO demand for a Stone Cold character in our society in 2019. I hate that, but it's true. I mean, I'm not denying that it's over with diehard wrestling fans within the bubble. Because it absolutely is.

But nobody in the real world is calling for it. Every instance of trash-talk is met with outrage. People are whining (even here) about how it's too far if they mention body type, or weight, or height, or eating disorders, or their past discretions, or their real life mistakes, or... Fucking ANYTHING really.

No insult is safe. No insult is fair game in 2019. So pro wrestling promos are basically these ineffective, neutered blocks of inconsequential dialogue. I'm not entirely sure what THIS is, but it ain't pro wrestling promos. It's just a bunch of talking to fill time. It's fucking filibustering.

Seeing as though I reacted to a post suggesting that referring to Bulimia would be acceptable in kayfabe, I’ll assume you are taking a shot at me here.

I asked the question, when has the character of Becky Lynch ever been presented as having Bulimia or any kind of eating disorder. The answer is never, so why go down that route to promote a wrestling match? 

As I said in my last post, there is plenty of ammunition available to both Ronda and Becky rather than going down that route. DMJ actually mentioned a lot of things both could take a shot at in their post before bringing bulimia into it.

If you want to accuse me (and others) of whining because they are offended by the suggestion of taking a shot at an eating disorder to promote a wrestling match, that says a lot more about you than it does me.

19 minutes ago, Downend2005 said:

Seeing as though I reacted to a post suggesting that referring to Bulimia would be acceptable in kayfabe, I’ll assume you are taking a shot at me here.

I asked the question, when has the character of Becky Lynch ever been presented as having Bulimia or any kind of eating disorder. The answer is never, so why go down that route to promote a wrestling match? 

As I said in my last post, there is plenty of ammunition available to both Ronda and Becky rather than going down that route. DMJ actually mentioned a lot of things both could take a shot at in their post before bringing bulimia into it.

If you want to accuse me (and others) of whining because they are offended by the suggestion of taking a shot at an eating disorder to promote a wrestling match, that says a lot more about you than it does me.

Lulz.

Your whining about being singled out (for whining) surely will put me in my place. Way to be, man. Way to be.

38 minutes ago, sek69 said:

It feels like getting people like us to fight over it on a message board then they kind of accomplished their mission.

I don't really feel that getting one of your biggest stars to say "that shit's fake, fuck your finisher it don't even hurt" wasn't something they really aimed at, nor they are happy with it.

Also, in regards to WWE not knowing how to book faces, AJ being always right, never looking like shit and always having the moral high-ground doesn't count. 

Funny that people are mentioning Russo in the Becky vs Ronda twitter feud because she just referenced him in her last tweet when Ronda used her real name.   Becky putting a picture of Travis Browne as the head of that "armbar" really set Rousey over the edge.   I still don't get why Rousey keeps thinking whether in a story or real life sense that when Becky calls herself "The Man" it isn't because she actually wants to be a man.  

But yeah they need to settle down before Vince gets really pissed and puts the belt on Charlotte at WM.  Which I still wouldn't put it past them even without this drama.  Then instead of two women on twitter being pissed it will be about 50,000 people REALLY PISSED.  

7 hours ago, DMJ said:

EDIT - * that was meant as a reference to bulimia, not fellatio.

:lol:

Glad you clarified, because I had no idea what you were talking about, and with the accusations on Ronda's statement about certain things apparently, I was like, picturing stuff...

Twitter feuds are lame and pathetic in general. "Oh, he stopped following me !" "Oh, she didn't validate my last picture of myself my putting a comment with hearts, arm flexing and smiling emojis" "#hashtags"

9 hours ago, Downend2005 said:

How does making reference to an eating disorder work in kayfabe then?

Has the character of Becky Lynch ever been presented on tv as having bulimia? 

There is plenty of ammunition available to both Becky and Ronda without having to go down the route of body shaming and eating disorders in 2019.

I actually agree with you. I was just bringing up bulimia as an example of getting really nasty/controversial/envelope-pushing. Like, didn't Paige one time make a dig about Reid Flair when she was feuding with Charlotte? It was uncalled for and awful, but they did it. I'm sure Triple H has also gotten a few asides in that were meant for us "smart" fans over the years too. Even in the 90s, there was the "Sunny Days" comment that went over 99% of the audience's head. As you noted, Rousey and Becky have enough fodder to not have to go there and I agree. 

Maybe "kayfabe" wasn't the right term, but what I was suggesting was that, while they don't need to go there, there are really ugly things they can say that would potentially make fans believe that this fight is "real" without outright saying "I don't care what the script says!" Some of these things, like bulimia, would be in very poor taste - - but we've all seen the movie where the school bully taunts the protagonist by bringing up their dead mother or their alcoholic, abusive father. In the real world, we'd be appalled. In a fictional narrative, it is just part of the hero's journey.

And while Becky's past eating disorder has not been a part of her on-screen story, she has spoken about it in interviews and in the blurred lines of kayfabe/reality, it is not some well-hidden secret. Paige's sex tape isn't canon but wasn't there a New Day/Usos segment that made a not-so-veiled reference to Xavier Woods' dick size? Can you not envision a scenario where, if it was Dean Ambrose who got a drunken disorderly charge and not Jimmy Uso, we would've heard Corey Graves make a slight about it to Renee Young? Hell, I'm not sure the  only reason he didn't mention it during Naomi's match at Elimination Chamber was because he himself was going through a twitter-feuled personal scandal.

All of these examples are/would be very distasteful and would be unnecessary in selling a good wrestling match - but hey, 20 years ago, an aging Big Bossman and an overweight Big Show needed a hook so they hitched a casket to a squad car. And it was distasteful and dumb and it didn't help that match one bit. So, again, I agree - doing these "shock"/"only smart fans get it" angles is not good writing or booking, but I still think its better than "I'm not going to stick to the script!"

6 minutes ago, DMJ said:

I actually agree with you. I was just bringing up bulimia as an example of getting really nasty/controversial/envelope-pushing. Like, didn't Paige one time make a dig about Reid Flair when she was feuding with Charlotte? It was uncalled for and awful, but they did it. I'm sure Triple H has also gotten a few asides in that were meant for us "smart" fans over the years too. Even in the 90s, there was the "Sunny Days" comment that went over 99% of the audience's head. As you noted, Rousey and Becky have enough fodder to not have to go there and I agree. 

Maybe "kayfabe" wasn't the right term, but what I was suggesting was that, while they don't need to go there, there are really ugly things they can say that would potentially make fans believe that this fight is "real" without outright saying "I don't care what the script says!" Some of these things, like bulimia, would be in very poor taste - - but we've all seen the movie where the school bully taunts the protagonist by bringing up their dead mother or their alcoholic, abusive father. In the real world, we'd be appalled. In a fictional narrative, it is just part of the hero's journey.

And while Becky's past eating disorder has not been a part of her on-screen story, she has spoken about it in interviews and in the blurred lines of kayfabe/reality, it is not some well-hidden secret. Paige's sex tape isn't canon but wasn't there a New Day/Usos segment that made a not-so-veiled reference to Xavier Woods' dick size? Can you not envision a scenario where, if it was Dean Ambrose who got a drunken disorderly charge and not Jimmy Uso, we would've heard Corey Graves make a slight about it to Renee Young? Hell, I'm not sure the  only reason he didn't mention it during Naomi's match at Elimination Chamber was because he himself was going through a twitter-feuled personal scandal.

All of these examples are/would be very distasteful and would be unnecessary in selling a good wrestling match - but hey, 20 years ago, an aging Big Bossman and an overweight Big Show needed a hook so they hitched a casket to a squad car. And it was distasteful and dumb and it didn't help that match one bit. So, again, I agree - doing these "shock"/"only smart fans get it" angles is not good writing or booking, but I still think its better than "I'm not going to stick to the script!"

I appreciate the response, and I understand a lot better where you coming from now.

I have personal experience of living with people who have battled eating disorders, so maybe it was that experience that prompted me to question your post. Obviously nobody was to know that when I posted my initial response to you. 

As for Dana Warrior being hired as a writer: is there anything that may lead us to think that she's good or bad, besides the fact she was married to the Ultimate Warrior?

I get that the news is surprising, but I saw many people online saying it was horrible and that she's bad and I got confused. Did she had a hand in any sort of writing activity like that before?

She's a "celebrity" wife who has no ties with the business expect her poor-excuse-for-a-human-being dead husband, of whom she tries to erase the hate speech memories with hypocritical charity business PR bullshit. So yeah. Probably a great hiring. And she kept the fucking Warrior last name, how more douchy can you get ?

15 hours ago, peachchaos said:

What's especially silly about all of this is none of it is going to overshadow Charlotte in the end. She consistently looks the best on promos and has legitimate star presence. As good as Ronda is in the ring, she's a bumbling idiot out there most of the time on the mic. I don't see the Becky character sustaining itself with post-Mania over-exposer when she's an active worker. Hope they prove me wrong, but I really don't see either of the Twitter girls being the focus of the company like Charlotte is going to be.  

They've done a great job unintentionally making me want Charlotte to walk out with the belt at Wrestlemania.

Fantasy booking in this moment & I think the best way to go would be for Charlotte to beat Ronda at Fastlane with Becky's interference and have a Becky-Ronda singles match at Mania, which Becky obviously wins but then still can chase the title. Then you double down on Charlotte and have her go against Asuka again winner take all. Granted, that would kill Asuka dead, but that second Women's belt is just floating out there in the water.