Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 6/3 - 6/9 NOBODY CARES, AEW IS COMING.

Flyin' Brian

17 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Befuddling nonsense.

Lars Sullivan, on the other hand, is a surprisingly decent promo. 

Shit we disagree here bubba. Maybe it's because I haven't seen Black in a while...

18 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Most beautiful woman in all of WWE, and it's not even close.

We agree 100% here though. I stan her and Mandy so damn much

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Shit we disagree here bubba. Maybe it's because I haven't seen Black in a while...

We agree 100% here though. I stan her and Mandy so damn much

It's been weeks of these gibberish Black promos. If this is the first one you've seen, then yeah, maybe I could see how you might dig it.

I must be old though, because I have no idea what "stan" means in this context, but I assume it has nothing to do with Lane or Hansen. ;) 

52 minutes ago, C.S. said:

It's been weeks of these gibberish Black promos. If this is the first one you've seen, then yeah, maybe I could see how you might dig it.

I must be old though, because I have no idea what "stan" means in this context, but I assume it has nothing to do with Lane or Hansen. ;) 

IIRC "stan" comes from the eponymous Eminem song, whose lyrics depicted an obssessed fan and his lifestyle. Nowadays, it's mostly about being a regular fan, but some are stans to the utmost degree.

I saw like two or three Black promos, and this one was pretty good. But yeah... I can imagine getting tired of those if they've been running for like months. Just get him to wrestle already

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

Lars Sullivan, on the other hand, is a surprisingly decent promo. 

Every time I see him, I think he should do a gimmick like Beast from the X Men where he's a big scary monster who's also super smart and well spoken. 

4 hours ago, sek69 said:

Every time I see him, I think he should do a gimmick like Beast from the X Men where he's a big scary monster who's also super smart and well spoken. 

I think that was the crux of his NXT gimmick, terrifying monster in the ring, but calmly and politely talking to "Mr Regal" in the back 

I loved it when Mike Knox had a similar gimmick. One time he came to the ring and just destroyed Rey. He goes backstage and gets stopped by an interviewer asking why he hates Rey Mysterio, where you'd expect an angry, raging promo. Knox stops, looks puzzled and calmly says "I don't hate Rey Mysterio" and walks off. That was great stuff. 

On 6/3/2019 at 9:54 PM, sek69 said:

Interesting they are doing a WWE 24 on Ronda when she's still out indefinitely on her Sexapalooza 2019.

What was up with her post-Mania media stuff? She really seemed to be trashing the company and her involvement, although that could've just been her usual demeanor.

She did seem more than ready to move on & put it in the rear view though. I don't really recall all that was said, but I do remember her response when asked about her broken hand:

"Guess I'm not that good at faking it."

Ugh. I mean, I get it. "Pro wrestling is a joke." MMA was her bread & butter. But Christ. She was just acting way above it all.

And yeah. I'm familiar with Ronda's attitude. And I'm a fan. But I've seen her do interviews & things where she came off really well and promoted the company. She just seemed particularly salty after Mania for some reason.

I thought that was all kayfabe - like all the bogus Twitter drama and "wrestling is fake - but I'm not!" stuff they did during the build to Mania. She was just playing the character of the former Champion who lost the title in screwy fashion (the finish to the Mania main event). Even the comment about her broken hand was "on brand" for her.

Plus, based on her most recent tweets about the 24 Special, she's thankful and appreciative of her WWE run. I think her desire to start a family is legit, so I'm not expecting her back any time soon...but I definitely don't think we've seen her last match. At 32, she's got years ahead of her in pro-wrestling and Vince and Co. will always regard her as a bigger star than anyone on their own roster. I'm not sure we'll ever see her as consistently on TV and house shows, etc. like we did in 2018-19, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her make an appearance (at the very least) at WrestleMania 36.

It's odd that WWE being WWE, they wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops about how progressive they are and how they single handedly created women's sports in SA or whatever. 

Considering their Officially Approved Corporate Response that nearly every one there has stated verbatim when asked about it is "we're doing it to bring change", it's odd that their play is seeming wait for the day of the show and be all "surprise! women!"

On 6/4/2019 at 11:54 AM, SomethingSavage said:

He's having meaningless good matches. I think that's the point. It's a bunch of matches with no point. No purpose. No sense of progress. No advancement opportunity. No upward mobility.

I refer to this as early ROHitis. Some of those shows, especially after Joe, were exhausting because every match was trying to be Match of the Night & it was just too much. The first match was trying to be the main event. Every match was full of false finishes & 2-count kickouts of finishers & it was just too much. The card of a show needs to tell a story as much as a match individually needs to tell a story.

Coincidentally, there's quite a few ex-ROH guys on the current WWE roster...

AEW:DON good example of what I'm talking about: Cody/Dustin was the old school bloody match, Lucha Bros/Bucks was the move/spotfest match, Jericho/Omega was the name value main event match, etc. 

Those early ROH shows are like if every match on DoN was trying to be Bucks/Lucha Bros. Which was my same prob. with TakeOver last weekend. 

It can't just be matches in a vacuum, regardless of if a match is good or not. There has to be stakes. The stakes are what make people care. Because it's not about just getting people to ooh & aww for this match, they need to want to see what comes after too. WWE right now has a lot of guys where you think "Oh, he's pretty good" but it doesn't go beyond that.

Like here's a question: what is Ricochet's gimmick? He's literally just ex-NXT guy that is acrobatic. That's it. 

That's creative's job, take these guys that make you think "he's pretty good" and put them in compelling situations to make you want to pay to see them do pretty good things. The fact that they constantly fail at  doing that shouldn't be seen as a slight on the talent. 

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

I'm reminded that there are three scholars set to be executed after Ramadan (which I believe is Tuesday), so I suppose they want to have something distract from that.

The regime has executed at least 110 people since the beginning of the year. Recently there was a wave of women right militant arrest. No stupid pro-wrestling match will distract from anything, really.

I wonder what the fake outrage twitter crowd will do during that show. I mean, if you can blast Corny for using the word transvestite, I think it's ok to blast Goldy & Taker for taking huge checks to play a puppets in a criminal regime propaganda show...

In other news, Kofi Kingston is a stupid WWE drone, or just a dumb fuck :

"The crowd and the energy is incredible. I love going to Saudi Arabia because the energy is just awesome. It's almost like a second WrestleMania over there with the pyro and all the events that go on, it's an incredible experience and has a special place in my heart. I was part of the promotional tour before the event and was able to go there and meet the people, embrace the culture and it was one of the greatest experiences of my WWE career."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2838385-kofi-kingston-talks-saudi-arabia-shows-terry-funk-on-aew-more-in-wwe-roundup

5 minutes ago, Makai Club #1 said:

Champion has gotta put over the company. Sad but it's comes with the role. 

Understood, you can thrown the company line as stupid as it it ("WWE don't do politics, we're going to entertain the WWE fans from Saudi Arabia" and all that good nonsense), but talking about it like it's the greatest thing ever, "embracing the culture" etc... For fuck's sake. Maybe has no idea what actually happens in the country, the unwarranted arrests, the torture, the bogus trials, the decapitations, the treatment of women, the slavery, the genocide in Yemen... I'm not expecting anything, but this kind of brain-dead enthousiasm strikes me as really, really tone-deaf.

I'm not going to defend Kofi's statement as that would be ridiculous but, since he's become champion, I can imagine every "old school" agent/producer/Vince McMahon asskisser has been in his ear about how, now that he's the champ, he needs to "represent the company" and all that BS. I think he fully knows about the human rights violations - how could he not considering the bad press the WWE gets for even during these shows? - but he's given verbiage and his job is to speak it. Just like his promos on SmackDown

And, yes, to whoever said it above - you can and should blast Goldberg, Taker, and Shawn Michaels for working these shows. I can't hide the schadenfreude I feel towards Shawn Michaels fans/apologists who somehow believe that being Born Again means that he's not a greedy scumbag. Did the drugs make him an even bigger scumbag in the 90s? Sure...but it was there all along and him coming out of retirement to do a Saudi show proves where his heart lies. At least in Taker's case and especially in Goldberg's case, they've been open about the fact that they'll do anything and promote anything at the right price, that wrestling is a business. Michaels has put himself out there as a man of faith. 

So WWE does a lot less promotion online of their Saudi tours than they do of other things, so a cursory glance at WWE.com didn't show me a lot of PR stuff from the last day or two. That said, I did see all of the Ghana photos and I've seen a lot of other stuff with Kofi over the years and I think, if nothing else, he seems like the sort of the guy who tries to make the most positive experience possible out of this sort of thing. I don't know the itinerary for a tour like this. I'd assume that WWE would play towards what they know and how they interact with other organizations and countries but also that a lot is out of their hands as this is very much a vanity project by a money mark. I can see Kofi interacting with a lot of fans on the ground level and meeting people and maybe meeting kids. I can also see him not having that sort of opportunity. 

I don't think Kofi's going to come into this sort of a situation blind, not on the third show with guys either forced to sit or sitting by choice. I can see him trying to make the best of this situation and separating the people from their government if he had the opportunity to do so. It's a PR statement and one full of hyperbole. In it, he mentioned the crowd, the people, the culture, the pyro and money that goes into it. He didn't mention the government or their initiative or anything else. 

I don't think his statement is nearly as bad as a lot of the other things we've seen come out of this arrangement.