Ridiculous quotes from WO.com columnists

sek69

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LShunter

He was proposed a finish of doing a job to Lesnar, and responded by saying "I'm not feeling it." The finish was changed almost immediately.

Ah yes, that was Unforgiven '02 where they had a really shitty DQ ending that pissed the crowd right off (Undertaker and Brock both had a turn punching the shit out of the other in the corner and ignoring the referee's call to break). Then they had the awesome HiaC at No Mercy.

I was previously unaware of the "I'm not feeling it" line.

He was proposed a finish of doing a job to Lesnar, and responded by saying "I'm not feeling it." The finish was changed almost immediately.

Ah yes, that was Unforgiven '02 where they had a really shitty DQ ending that pissed the crowd right off (Undertaker and Brock both had a turn punching the shit out of the other in the corner and ignoring the referee's call to break). Then they had the awesome HiaC at No Mercy.

I was previously unaware of the "I'm not feeling it" line.

I actually liked that finish, otherwise Hell in a Cell the next month wouldn't have made sense.

I'm also in the minority that liked the finish of Austin-Angle from SummerSlam 2001 too though.

Honestly, just the fact that we got the HitC the next month makes up for the shitty finish as far a I'm concerned. And the first match was actually pretty good until said finish, as I recall. Those two had pretty good chemistry together. I was pretty down on Taker during that period, but those matches made me realize he actually still had something left in the tank, even if he had to "not feel it" in order to get the full effect out of it.

Guest LShunter

Honestly, just the fact that we got the HitC the next month makes up for the shitty finish as far a I'm concerned. And the first match was actually pretty good until said finish, as I recall. Those two had pretty good chemistry together. I was pretty down on Taker during that period, but those matches made me realize he actually still had something left in the tank, even if he had to "not feel it" in order to get the full effect out of it.

Well yeah, in hindsight the DQ finish gave us the awesome Cell rematch. I'm probably just remembering how pissy I was at the time that it went to a DQ. This is reminding me of the whole Austin walkout scenario too, wanting to put Brock over clean in their first one on one encounter... on TV. Undertaker was probably right to "not feel it" that night.

Austin wasn't going to lose clean IIRC.

I watched both Lesnar vs Taker matches live and while the non-finish the first time made sense as far as setting up a rematch, it was disappointing because they clearly had no idea how to work a hot match with a DQ finish. It felt totally half-assed. Though it was still better than the snorefest Taker and Austin had earlier in the year.

Ben Miller:

The build to the 2001 Invasion pay-per-view was abysmal. DDP took cartoon bumps, WCW guys were squashed and there was no credible leadership figure guiding the invasion. Then, with just six days remaining before the show (and it’s near-certain embarrassing buyrate), the WWF creative team found their onions and let Paul Heyman cut arguably the biggest money promo in the history of the business. (There have been other promos for shows that have drawn more money than Invasion, but the difference in money before and after Heyman’s promo is larger than any other, I’d argue.) Heyman put together WCW and ECW, a ten-man main event featuring Steve Austin was solidified and the Internet wrestling community spent the next six days abuzz at the possibilities.

I wonder exactly which promo he's referring to. He cut a promo when he re-assembled ECW basically saying "This isn't WWF, this isn't WCW, this is ECW." And that was two weeks before Invasion. The promos he cut in the week before the show were "Hey Molly, join the Alliance and get breast implants" and "Hey Vince, you killed your dad and I'm bringing back wrestling." The big promo everyone remembers was three days before Survivor Series, and it really wasn't any great shakes either. Invasion drew because (1) Interpromotional always draws unless you Alliance it, but this was before they managed to kill it and (2) because of THEOLDSTONECOLD.

Yeah, he seems to have the timeline on the Survivor Series one confused. It was a great promo but the feud was beyond dead at that point and the blowoff to the feud did half of what Invasion did.

The Invasion buyrate is still crazy to look back at, though. They did over *700,000* buys for a show where half the main event consisted of Booker T, DDP, the Dudleys, and Rhino. That's how big the interest in WWF vs. WCW was. Imagine what something with Goldberg could have done. UFC would still be chasing that number.

The WCW/ECW alliance coming on the same night as ECW's return was bad. Worse was giving Steph such a big role. But from a basic pro wrestling standpoint it doesn't get worse than WWF standing tall on the next Raw, at which point the only way for the Alliance to do anything would be for WWF guys to turn (Austin, Angle). Granted, they didn't have Goldberg/Sting/Hogan/Nash/Hall/Steiner. Booker T, DDP, Mike Awesome and Tazz (who was devalued but not beyond repair) aren't going to do the numbers of Austin vs Goldberg. Still, WWF's marketing machine could have made it work had Vince not felt it necessary at LITERALLY every turn to make sure we never forgot that WWF was #1.

Watching Nitros from mid-96 with the nWo introduction then Raws from mid-2001 within the same year makes it clear as day what WWF could have pulled off. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash drew for crap in mid-90s WWF, but fans knew their names. Booker and DDP were known. Hell, starting with a weak WCW/ECW main event crew meant they could EASILY have stretched things out by dropping in new main eventers as they became available. Wrestlemania 18 did great business; imagine if Rock vs Hogan and Austin's match had halfway decent storylines.

But then I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before.

I really think Invasion drew that monster number because of Austin going back babyface for that one week. The crowd was going insane on that show and the poor naive fans buying the PPV actually believed he was back to the "old" Stone Cold. But for the second time they were swerved with Austin and that was pretty much it with getting the casual fan to buy PPV's

of course the interpomotional angle was another reason but I really believe Austin was the primary source of the revenue

I really think Invasion drew that monster number because of Austin going back babyface for that one week. The crowd was going insane on that show and the poor naive fans buying the PPV actually believed he was back to the "old" Stone Cold. But for the second time they were swerved with Austin and that was pretty much it with getting the casual fan to buy PPV's

of course the interpomotional angle was another reason but I really believe Austin was the primary source of the revenue

I dunno. Austin turning babyface was big, but they gave away the turn and him destroying the entire Alliance on RAW. Why would the PPV do a Wrestlemania-level number from that?

I've split buying two WWE PPV's in my life as usually I never see the shows live, and Invasion was one of them, so that says something for how hot the entire concept of the WWF vs WCW war's final chapter was. I kind of scratch my head in hindsight at the Dudleys being part of one of two PPV angles in history hot enough to catch my interest on that level.

I mean really, it's not like everyone didn't *want* the thing to work. Austin turning heel seemed the only logical conclusion to the main event in advance (at least among the us there that night). The whole concept of WWF vs WCW was so big I think a lot of us just convinced ourselves there was no way it could not turn out good, when in reality there was so much personal bullshit involved there was probably no way it was going to be up to expectations given the personalities involved.

Ratings for RAW mostly settled into the low 4's during the months of May and June 2001. In the last three weeks before the Invasion PPV, RAW did a 4.6, 4.7, and 5.0. The night after Invasion did a 5.4, which indicated great interest in the show. Those numbers are right in line with pre-WM17 RAW ratings. The last RAW before WM17, the infamous last night of Nitro, only did a 4.7. They peaked the next week with a 5.7 for the Rock's return, and have been heading downhill pretty much ever since.

This is from the Wrestling Information Archive.

The biggest problems with InVasion is WWE failed to learn the good things that came from the nWo and ended up doing mostly the bad, except in this case, the heel side was the one made to look incompetent.

I really don't know for certain that the angle could have been saved. It's understandable you'd have Shane McMahon as the owner to get the ball rolling, but when you consider you were trying to blow off a Shane vs. Vince storyline at WM that year, Shane needed to be replaced by somebody else in the role of WCW figurehead at some point.

Or you needed to make a real impact in the Vince vs. Shane match to transfer Shane's heat to somebody else. Goldberg coming out of the crowd to spear Vince during the match might have done it... or at the very least, ensure a massive crowd pop.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Francis P Monaco

It's from a recap of a WWE house show in Ireland but I figured I would make my first post by mentioning this, from this recap.

Hey Dave, thought you might be interested in results from the allegedly Raw - mostly Smackdown talent show here in Dublin.

Full House - mostly small children.

-Kofi Kingston beat Miz with the usual. Miz' new Raw character is channeling Larry Zybysko - he spent the whole time stalling.

-Kelly Kelley and Melina beat Beth Phoenix and Layla after a Kelly fameasser on Layla (or a valiant attempt at one)

-Santino challenged "anyone" and got Goldust. He lost, and challenged "anyone else" and got Stone Cold Charlie Haas, and got stunnered.

-CM Punk beat William Regal. After the match, Regal beat on Punk and Kofi Kingston ran in and attacked Regal, so Regal challenged him for tomorrow night. Punk was just forgotten about.

--Intermission--

The Colons beat Kane and Mike Knox by DQ in a tag team title match when Kane was DQ'd for....being Kane/too agressive

-Rey Mysterio beat Chris Jericho to retain the Intercontinental title in the best match of the night

-John Cena beat Edge to retain the World Title. Truthfully I turned and faced the wall for most of the match.

Good show, even if it was geared entirely for the kids...

Yes, he turned his back on the main event just because he's a Cena-hater. Are you kidding me here? I guess you have obnoxious Green Lantern Fan type fans all around the world then.

You missed the most important part: the guy's name. It was DAVE O'NEILL, wrestling journalist! Anyone who remembers this putz from the old days will not be surprised. (Then again, I suppose Dave O'Neill probably isn't a terribly uncommon name in Ireland, but still, I larfed.)

but then Dave O'Neill, Super Journalist, wouldn't be able to express his disgust at Cena's position on the card by snubbing the main event of a meaningless house show if he just left early like a sane person. He's the walking, talking embodiment of every negative aspect of an internet wrestling fan.

C'mon, there's absolutely no way this dude wasn't yelling, screaming, and chanting "YOU CAN'T SEE ME!" along with everybody else in attendance, he's just trying to appear to be too cool for Cena since he thinks that's what the internet wrestling fan does. He probably wrote this while wearing his "HLR" t-shirt.