Pro Wrestling Only

Ridiculous quotes from WO.com columnists

sek69

--Really great promo by Jim Cornette on the site talking about the psychology of pro wrestling in the 70s and 80s vs. UFC today, some interesting thoughts on Brock Lesnar, TNA, ROH, Vince Russo, Lesnar in the Hall of Fame, John Laurinaitis vs. Jim Ross as WWE head of Talent Relations, Dana White vs. Vince McMahon and more at http://media001.f4wonline.com/dmdocuments/092909tt.mp3

Is it just me or does Dave seem to be failing to understand that he's linking to the pay section of his own website?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

--Really great promo by Jim Cornette on the site talking about the psychology of pro wrestling in the 70s and 80s vs. UFC today, some interesting thoughts on Brock Lesnar, TNA, ROH, Vince Russo, Lesnar in the Hall of Fame, John Laurinaitis vs. Jim Ross as WWE head of Talent Relations, Dana White vs. Vince McMahon and more at http://media001.f4wonline.com/dmdocuments/092909tt.mp3

Is it just me or does Dave seem to be failing to understand that he's linking to the pay section of his own website?

Its you

• 2 weeks later...

Dave runs in to make the save for Todd on the Figure Four message board :):

Final thought was really a great point. They're not all booked the same (Bob Barker), but as a general rule most weeks they are interchangeable. Point about switching the women before a PPV designed as brand vs. brand being something special was also real good.

Todd didn't know who Johnny Knoxville was.

Despite being in his mid/late 20s at the time he had never heard of the fucking A-Team. The A-TEAM

This man fits right in with Dave and Bryan as he has no basic pop culture knowledge (and annoyingly assumes his audience is the same) And he seems to be proud of this

Despite being in his mid/late 20s at the time he had never heard of the fucking A-Team. The A-TEAM

Wait what? When was this and what was the context?

How can you be a long-time wrestling fan of some sort and not know what the A-Team was? Its existence gave us the initial Wrestlemania angle.

Guest CompletePlayer

How can you be a long-time wrestling fan of some sort and not know what the A-Team was? Its existence gave us the initial Wrestlemania angle.

During the whole Rampage Jackson drama with him withdrawing from a UFC fight to be B.A. Baracus in the upcoming A-Team remake.

On a similar note, this reminds me of this one time on WOR, Bryan Alvarez mentioned watching Married with Children, and I've never heard a man be as shocked as Dave Meltzer was. Meltzer then proclaimed that he didn't think Alvarez watched anything but wrestling in that loud Dave Meltzer proclamation voice. It was really amusing.

Cena's music video in 04/05 that had an A-Team theme. Todd claimed he didn't get any of the references and had never heard of the show

They also went into how they think you can only rate a match on the day it's held unless you can get into the proper context of where the promotion was at that point in history. Dave's noted that things could change based upon moves being invented and moves being ruined, among other things. In those aforementioned cases...maybe. Something like Liger-Dragon from the 1/4/93 dome show (and I know it was never held in especially high regard, but I don't think people crapped on it, so work with me) is horrible now. It looks like the forefather of generic indy junior matches now because everything in it is played out. Plus, a match that's largely spectacular spots is going to look different based on the fact that flyers are so much more spectacular now, and in general, context is always important. Otherwise...I don't know.

On the day it happened? Most matches that have aired on TV in history are in the can. 99% of all matches from Japan or Mexico he has ever seen were taped in advance.

I know what he meant, but I think the point still stands, in the sense that you can't make a statement like that and imply some type of magical cutoff.

Yes, I agree that the historical context always needs to be considered when watching any match, but it is a credit if a match holds up over a long period of time. Music critics make lists sometimes of stuff that sounds good now (not necessarily what was best *then*), so this isn't unique to wrestling.

I don't think they thought this one through. It's sounds like they thought they reached a deep moment of Truth with the concept captured in Bix's first sentence, and didn't think ponder the fairly obvious places it takes them, nor the self-contradictions with what they've said in the past.

Unless they think they always get into the proper context of the promotion when watching stuff that isn't "live".

John

It's sounds like they thought they reached a deep moment of Truth with the concept captured in Bix's first sentence

I don't think they came to this deep moment of Truth by themselves. Sounds like Dave and Bryan not stopping to think about what the wrestlers tell them and just taking it at face value.