sek69

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Francis P Monaco

OK, my apologies for not knowing who Dave O'Neill is, even though I have been looking around these types of boards and smart mark sites for years now. Hell, I still remember reading then new columns on sites like NWWWO and Wrestleline, so you'd think I would remember the name, but I guess not.

Here is another bad show review from Europe that was posted on WO. I mean, it's so bad I had to look up "Honey Monster" on Google to find out what he was prattling on about. With him needlessly writing in that "smart mark wrestling fan" style, "Honey Monster" could have been him talking about some guy currently on the roster. Thankfully, I know now that it's some weird-looking character from a UK cereal, but yeah, that's a review that really pissed me off with that guy's awful attempts at "humor".

• 2 months later...

Joe Babinsack thinks Brock Lesnar is the modern day version of Frank Gotch or something...

But the thing is, professional wrestling isn’t divorced from reality, despite Vince McMahons leading it down the path away from its glorious history. Pro wrestling grew from the days of hours long wrestling matches (century old MMA fights) and pro wrestling became what it is today because pure athletes eventually get boring, and evenly matched fights tend to become defensive battles, not exciting.

Is Brock Lesnar simply channeling the figures of his previous industry’s past, or is he recreating the role for the modern day fans?

Hmm, I'm sure we've pondered those questions before Bix. :) I really doubt though that he would have had a problem with that particular column, as Joe is just badly parroting some of Dave's talking points (like Brock is taking UFC mainstream and UFC does pro wrestling better than pro wrestling itself does). Who cares if Joe screws up wrestling history if he comes to the same conclusion as Dave and Bryan? Over at the F4W/WO boards, Bryan has been latching on to some ridiculous strawman arguments (like Eric Cantona kung fu kicking a fan in the stands didn't kill English soccer and showed the same real raw emotion as Brock Lesnar did in his promo) to combat any suggestion that in the long run Brock Lesnar cutting cheesy wrestling promos may be bad for the image of the sport.

Hmm, I'm sure we've pondered those questions before Bix. :)

Sure, but maybe not in the last 8 weeks or so. :)

And lately a bunch of "columnist" type stuff has been randomly made members-only. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what this happens to. The weirdest maybe being the 24/7 Monday Night War recaps.

Hmm, I'm sure we've pondered those questions before Bix. :) I really doubt though that he would have had a problem with that particular column, as Joe is just badly parroting some of Dave's talking points (like Brock is taking UFC mainstream and UFC does pro wrestling better than pro wrestling itself does). Who cares if Joe screws up wrestling history if he comes to the same conclusion as Dave and Bryan? Over at the F4W/WO boards, Bryan has been latching on to some ridiculous strawman arguments (like Eric Cantona kung fu kicking a fan in the stands didn't kill English soccer and showed the same real raw emotion as Brock Lesnar did in his promo) to combat any suggestion that in the long run Brock Lesnar cutting cheesy wrestling promos may be bad for the image of the sport.

cheesy?

Are you saying what Brock showed wasnt real emotion?

Sorry Bryan isnt latching on to any strawman argument he is just rubbishing a point which Snowden made.

And lately a bunch of "columnist" type stuff has been randomly made members-only. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what this happens to. The weirdest maybe being the 24/7 Monday Night War recaps.

Maybe he's making 24/7 recaps members-only because 24/7 is a subscription service? Not saying that makes it a good idea or anything, but just a thought.

For some reason, the TNA Impact reports are for the subscribers only.

Really, I don't understand why, if something is "members only" that they aren't all indicated that way. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why something is made that way and, in most cases, they aren't indicated as such.

• 2 weeks later...

I know he didn't write it, but publishing it I consider an endorsement.

Because he sees MMA and pro wrestling as exactly the same thing, let's remember this the next time Dave says that a wrestler needs to add moves to their repertoire, or doesn't care for the wrestling style of a John Cena type because it's not fundamentally sound:

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/10106/124/

Lesnar's influence now goes to the major sports

By Jeff Siegel

* Effectively immediately, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has mandated that the New York Giants may no longer rely upon their crushing running attack that boasted two 1000-yard rushers last season -- becoming only the fifth team in NFL history to achieve that feat on the heels of their Super Bowl victory. "As Mirko Cro Cop stated so well, it's nothing more than pure raw power," said Goodell. "We prefer technique. So the Giants must abandon their running attack in favor of a more flashy passing game. That's athleticism. Just ask Frank Mir."

* Effectively immediately, MLB Commissioner Bud Selig has mandated that the New York Yankees may no longer rely on their dominating power hitting to win ballgames -- despite the fact that they are on a blistering pace that could bring them within range of the single-season record for team home runs on their way to another World Championship. "As Mirko Cro Cop stated so well, it's nothing more than pure raw power," said Selig. "We prefer technique. So the Yankees will now have to bunt and steal bases if they want to score. That's athleticism. Just ask Frank Mir."

* Effectively immediately, NBA Commissioner David Stern has mandated that the Cleveland Cavaliers may not plan on controlling the paint this season in their pursuit of a possible World Championship -- despite the addition of one of the game's most dominating centers in Shaquille O'Neal. "As Mirko Cro Cop stated so well, it's nothing more than pure raw power," said Stern. "We prefer technique. So we're going to nip this one in the bud before it even gets going. If the Cavaliers want to win, they'll have to do it with three-pointers and working the weave. That's athleticism. Just ask Frank Mir."

Thank you, Brock.

I saw that too and didn't get the humor. Dave is *way too* sensitive of any criticism of Brock Lesnar and his pro wrestling background. He should be happy that Brock is so over and such a big drawing card that every heavyweight in the promotion who gets it is cutting wrestling style promos on him in an effort to lobby Dana White into making the match with him. Wrestling style promos aren't worth taking so seriously.

• 1 month later...

From the Sep. 29th 2009 Figure Four Weekly:

Hamada did an interview with the Tokyo Sun and said she could never go to WWE if Yoshi Tatsu worked there. "We met up a few times in Japan and it was terrible. The man is a sleeze and is constantly trying to get a feel of any woman he comes across. When I was eating lunch one time, he sat on my lap and started running his fingers through my hair. When I told him to get off, he did. But he only sat next to me and started doing it again. He asked me for my number, but I wouldn't give it to him and walked away. He followed me and kept asking for it and even stood in front of the garbage can where I was to throw out my lunch. He literally grabbed my lunch from my hands and threw it out. I walked away, but he followed me again and kept tapping me on my shoulder. I wanted to hit him, but I'm not the physical type so I just kept on telling him off. He rubbed my hair again before walking away. On his way out, he blew me a kiss. I saw him a few more times after that, and the same things would happen. I can't be around that man and I hope those women in WWE stay as far away from him as possible. He's trouble".

Bryan's news update the next day:

-- As it turns out, the Ayako Hamada interview in the "Tokyo Sun" was, in fact, made up by someone. So the good name of Yoshi Tatsu has been cleared. Why anyone would make up such a strange story is beyond me.

:lol: