Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

C.S.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no idea why they brought Kevin Kelly in to begin with. They have so many people doing commentary already. It's not like he's some big respected name that brings some prestige like JR or even Tony. He's most known for that fat announcer/interviewer The Rock used to call a hermaphrodite and doing English commentary for NJPW for 6000 fans. And was real fucking bad at the end of his NJ run, then heads to AEW and has zero chemistry with anyone (even a dude he did commentary with for years???), and seems like he has no idea who any of the talent or storylines were. 

He was very bad as lead pbp. I guess he's tolerable as secondary color guy, but I'd much prefer anyone else in the AEW commentary roster to have that spot instead. 

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

And was real fucking bad at the end of his NJ run, then heads to AEW and has zero chemistry with anyone (even a dude he did commentary with for years???), and seems like he has no idea who any of the talent or storylines were. 

You hit it on the head, that’s pretty much the main issue right there. I don’t even hate Kelly as much as some people, but he stunk on Collision and seemed uninterested, unmotivated and ill informed. Tony Khan probably should have just fired him when Schiavone took over, but of course TK doesn’t fire anybody. 

Rumors now are that Kevin Kelly has been fired. He wasn't calling Collision, which has been pre-taped.

Gotta say this. He has been awesome for years in NJPW, his G1 Climax announcing was the highlight of the year and brought so much to the whole thing. 

It did not translate well to AEW at first, and it seems he wasn't aware of the product, notably botching talent names too. Once he got "demoted" to color, I thought he got more comfortable after a while and I actually enjoyed him in that role.

But then again. He's publicly shitting on Ian Riccaboni, who by all accounts seems to be a great guy and is a terrific announcer, because he called him out for promoting some QAnon bullshit movie I understand. So there. Maybe William Corgan can make him call some EC3 classics.

Dunno if Ian would make the transition to Collision, as he did not want to overload his work charge for family reasons, but really, AEW does not need Kevin Kelly, and they certainly don't need a sour and bitter QAnon wacko at all. They have a-plenty of terrific announcers and color guys. And guess what, why not get Veda Scott if she's available and willing ?

Thank god he’s gone. Not sure what annoys me most; the awkward silence after he says most things, his terrible attempts at back and forth with McGuinness, him randomly shouting certain moves with some strange voice and accent or randomly interrupting people to shout at whichever heel happens to be walking past the announce table at that point 

Kevin Kelly embarrassed himself and the company last weekend with those stupid tweets and deserved to face the consequences, so I won't be crying for him. But Ian (supposedly) blasting him on a public Discord server isn't really a better look, to be honest.

I have no idea if Kevin Kelly is q-pilled or not. The problem with movies like "Sound of Freedom" is that they still work as great fiction, so Kevin merely mentioning that he enjoyed it is not necessarily a red flag. He might have no idea about the deeper issues with it. To be fair, most people don't. 

When a complete idiot is looked at as "the smartest guy in the locker room" because he *gasp* reads books, I'm open to believing Kevin Kelly just saw a movie and is clueless about any of the controversy surrounding it. 

I'll assume Ian knows Kevin better than we do though. Hopefully he had a valid reason for publicly questioning his co-worker beyond "he saw a movie." They were handing out free tickets like candy, so a lot of people saw it and liked it without questioning anything. 

I haven't seen "Sound of Freedom" myself (since I'm sure you were wondering after reading all of this, lol), but I liked the director's previous film ("Little Boy"), so I suspect this is well-made, touches the heartstrings, etc. Plus, Jim Caviezel is a good actor. A total fucking nut, but a good actor.

TBH 99.9% of the people praising that movie were q-plled morons and I would wager Ian probably is aware of his political beliefs. 

Anyone who has those beliefs deserves to be pointed and made fun of so I feel pretty comfortable in saying fuck Kevin Kelly.

I mean if Ian goddamn Riccaboni of all people is calling you out on your bullshit that should be a very clear sign you messed up.

Come on now. This movie is a straight QAnon propaganda piece. Anyone even talking about it in any other way has a gigantic red flag over their head. 

As far as Ian, he talked about it on a Discord, which he thought was private I believe. But anyway. This is serious stuff. If I'm watching a show, I'd like to be informed if one of the performer is a Q-pilled idiot. Taking it to Twitter (who the fuck says X btw ?) is another thing entirely, especially when you cry about libel and such. Actually, that's another red flag, of sorts, these kind of people just love to paint themselves as victims. 

That being said, people should always be careful about what they say on private Discords, indeed. Never know when some stuff might bite them in the ass eventually... B)

In other news, I would not be surprised to see Matt Hardy go, as his contract is up soon. I enjoyed old, broken down Matt Hardy more than most (pretty easy around these parts), but him expressing frustration about how they were used is a bit puzzling, considering the ridiculous amount of talent they have to put on TV. And really, the fact they still used Jeff after his latest issue is already more than they could have hoped. The time of the dream matches have passed for them, it's a cold hard fact. They were like the Rock'n Roll Express during the Nitro days, fun to watch to a degree, but way past the point of relevancy.

He could still be a fun addition to TNA with the right creative though. I would not mind that. Ditto Mike Santana I guess, although really, the guy kinda QT Marshall himself. 

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Come on now. This movie is a straight QAnon propaganda piece. Anyone even talking about it in any other way has a gigantic red flag over their head. 

As far as Ian, he talked about it on a Discord, which he thought was private I believe. But anyway. This is serious stuff. If I'm watching a show, I'd like to be informed if one of the performer is a Q-pilled idiot. Taking it to Twitter (who the fuck says X btw ?) is another thing entirely, especially when you cry about libel and such. Actually, that's another red flag, of sorts, these kind of people just love to paint themselves as victims. 

That being said, people should always be careful about what they say on private Discords, indeed. Never know when some stuff might bite them in the ass eventually... B)

*All* of this. Blind ignorance here is almost nearly impossible to fathom and I'm comfortable saying impossible given some of Kelly's activity online in recent years. There's only so far you can bend trying to give someone the benefit of the doubt before you end up looking beyond silly. Some things are just simple.

4 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

*All* of this. Blind ignorance here is almost nearly impossible to fathom and I'm comfortable saying impossible given some of Kelly's activity online in recent years. There's only so far you can bend trying to give someone the benefit of the doubt before you end up looking beyond silly. Some things are just simple.

Except, there is tons of blind ignorance surrounding this movie. Tons! Anyone who thinks otherwise is the one who is blindly ignorant. You, @El-P, and @sek69 are "always online" types. So am I, probably. We know all about the Q stuff surrounding this movie, Tim Ballard being full of shit, Jim Caviezel being completely off his fucking rocker, etc. etc. etc. Most people do not. That is the reality.

I've had to inform so many people about what this movie really is. Some were film fanatics allured by the novelty of free tickets. Others were well-meaning people moved to tears by the apparently dramatic and tragic child-trafficking plot. None were Q-pilled. All of this was many months ago - before the movie was as well-known as it is now. 

Whether this blind ignorance extends to Kevin Kelly though, I have no idea, because I don't follow him closely. I'll defer to others here on that. You mentioned his "online activity in recent years." Feel free to shed more light on that, because I am barely on Twitter anymore and barely paid attention to Kevin Kelly when I was.

I have to admit I loled hard at the sentiment of (I'm paraphrasing) "if Ian is saying this, it must be true." Maybe he really is a nice guy - okay, sure - but he's in the rasslin' bidness, where 99% of the people in it aren't exactly paragons of virtue, and he was dumb enough to air out his dirty laundry on a "private" Discord. If that's a cynical take about wrestlers and wrestling, so be it, but 2024 alone has given plenty of us plenty of reasons to be cynical.

Just to be clear, Kevin Kelly deserved to be fired. Goodbye and good riddance. But he wasn't fired for seeing a movie. Let's be real: I highly doubt he was the only one in that company who saw it. He was fired for his dumbass unprofessional tweets.

P.S. I truly appreciate that everyone here actually read my post and responded thoughtfully. On a lesser board, some raving lunatic wouldn't read half of what I wrote and would accuse me of loving the movie (I haven't seen it) and worse. None of that nonsense here, thankfully. It's almost always intelligent and civil here on PWO, which is nice.

8 hours ago, El-P said:

In other news, I would not be surprised to see Matt Hardy go, as his contract is up soon. I enjoyed old, broken down Matt Hardy more than most (pretty easy around these parts), but him expressing frustration about how they were used is a bit puzzling, considering the ridiculous amount of talent they have to put on TV. And really, the fact they still used Jeff after his latest issue is already more than they could have hoped. The time of the dream matches have passed for them, it's a cold hard fact. They were like the Rock'n Roll Express during the Nitro days, fun to watch to a degree, but way past the point of relevancy.

He could still be a fun addition to TNA with the right creative though. I would not mind that. Ditto Mike Santana I guess, although really, the guy kinda QT Marshall himself. 

The most I’ve liked AEW Hardys is when they were having concession brawls with Butcher and the Blade. Everything else has been pretty mediocre but if they transformed into broken down brawlers where Matt throws his right hands and Jeff builds to one big lunatic bump, I’d be fine with that every so often

10 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I have to admit I loled hard at the sentiment of (I'm paraphrasing) "if Ian is saying this, it must be true." Maybe he really is a nice guy - okay, sure - but he's in the rasslin' bidness, where 99% of the people in it aren't exactly paragons of virtue, and he was dumb enough to air out his dirty laundry on a "private" Discord. If that's a cynical take about wrestlers and wrestling, so be it, but 2024 alone has given plenty of us plenty of reasons to be cynical.

I was coming at it more in terms of Ian being by all accounts (that I've seen) the most wholesome IRL babyface and if that guy's talking shit about you, you know you probably fucked up good. I agree with your assesment of 99% of people in the biz, but if anyone was in that 1% it would probably be Ian.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Except, there is tons of blind ignorance surrounding this movie. Tons! Anyone who thinks otherwise is the one who is blindly ignorant. You, @El-P, and @sek69 are "always online" types. So am I, probably. We know all about the Q stuff surrounding this movie, Tim Ballard being full of shit, Jim Caviezel being completely off his fucking rocker, etc. etc. etc. Most people do not. That is the reality.

The movie was released in France. There were articles in newspapers talking about how it was very much a QAnon themed movie, with the explanation of what that meant (because QAnon is not really a thing in France, although we can see some traces of it in some circles, you can guess which kind). To me ignorance is also a choice. The choice of not thinking about what you consume. This is actually scary, especially considering the artificial intelligence stuff that is gonna totally fuck everything up in term of not being able to trust anything anymore.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Just to be clear, Kevin Kelly deserved to be fired. Goodbye and good riddance. But he wasn't fired for seeing a movie. Let's be real: I highly doubt he was the only one in that company who saw it. He was fired for his dumbass unprofessional tweets.

Well of course. And since he wasn't very good at his job, there you go.

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

I was coming at it more in terms of Ian being by all accounts (that I've seen) the most wholesome IRL babyface and if that guy's talking shit about you, you know you probably fucked up good. I agree with your assesment of 99% of people in the biz, but if anyone was in that 1% it would probably be Ian.

I'm sure you're right about Ian. It's just so hard to believe the best about most people in wrestling. Over and over, they'll disappoint you.

6 hours ago, El-P said:

The movie was released in France. There were articles in newspapers talking about how it was very much a QAnon themed movie, with the explanation of what that meant (because QAnon is not really a thing in France, although we can see some traces of it in some circles, you can guess which kind). To me ignorance is also a choice. The choice of not thinking about what you consume. This is actually scary, especially considering the artificial intelligence stuff that is gonna totally fuck everything up in term of not being able to trust anything anymore.

You're right that ignorance is a choice, but most people aren't film buffs like me (and maybe you?). To the majority of the world, it's just a night out with popcorn, candy, and soda (and I assume champagne, caviar, and escargot in France - yes, I'm kidding). Even better when it's a free ticket. They're not thinking beyond the two hours of entertainment they've just consumed.

As someone who is probably even more passionate about film than wrestling, I will admit I'm debating whether to eventually watch "Sound of Freedom." It's not a priority for me at all, and there are a million other movies I want to see more, so I may never bother. But I am curious about how effective it as a film, and I know I'm not going to suddenly become q-pilled just by seeing it.

9 minutes ago, C.S. said:

But I am curious about how effective it as a film, and I know I'm not going to suddenly become q-pilled just by seeing it.

Movies like that really don't try to convert anyone, they're just catnip for people who are already believers.

Everything I've ever heard about Kevin Kelly made him seem like a putz at best, and anyone I've seen who's shown any positive feelings about that movie were folks with terrible opinions on everything so it won't take much convincing for me to put 2 and 2 together.