Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 11/2-11/4

sek69

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, WingedEagle said:

This was one of the worst, most pointless Dynamites I can recall.  MJF MIA, Moxley may as well have been gone.  Little build for anything of consequence on the PPV other than Storm/Hayter which had a nice video.  A very WCW-like effort.

No it really wasn't at all but I mean to each their own I guess.

6 hours ago, Stiva said:

I have 3 weeks of AEW TV to catch up and I’ve been reading the recaps all along with a vague sense of complete bemusement so I can’t wait to actually watch all of this transpire 

I was watching NBA last night and just kind of following along to the recaps and was like “what a weird fucking company.”

I'm cautiously optimistic about Jarrett in AEW. Tony's obviously out of his mind if he pushes Double J as a main event heel, but if he mainly works backstage and teaches the younger guys how to draw heat without killing themselves in the ring, I'm all for it. Plus, he apparently played a role in turning around WWE's house show business, so maybe he can do something similar for AEW's ticket sales.

As for Shibata, the fact that he's been on ice since WK is pretty conclusive evidence that he really did go into business for himself when he changed the rules of his match and people freaking out backstage wasn't an attempt to work the boys.

That's J.E double F, J.A, double R.E double T, that's Double J Jeff Jarrett, the smartest guy in pro-wrestling. And if you don't get why Jeff Jarrett in 2022 is awesome, you better ask somebody. That guy started the year in WWE as an official, got on GCW shows, on AAA shows, did the best job imaginable with Flair's corpse, and now ends up in fucking AEW. I REALLY HOPE we get Karen appearances too. That guy is just the smartest mofo.

Cold Cabana. I fucking died. It's bringing out "midget Bret Hart" after Montreal level of trolling, expect in this case it's totally wholesome (considering how the locker room is reacting on line, that guy sure got a whole lotta love). Fucking A level shitposting booking.

Speaking of trolling, that line from the Acclaim about not going to the reunion was glorious.

KATSUYORI SHIBATA vs ORANGE CASSIDY ? This show is legit insane. Shibata vs Danielson will probably never happen, because also Shibata can do some stuff, you probably wanna stay far away from his head and any high impact stuff. Orange is probably a very safe opponent for him. 

Elite vignette.

House of Black vignette.

Jungle Boy fucking up Luchasaurus like he should.

Hobbs fucking up Wardlow like he should.

This was a totally wacky in a good way episode, and really now, Jarrett/Cabana/Shibata alongside fucking Rick Ross (who indeed would make a great celebrity manager for Swerve, he came off really good). That's awesome pro-wrestling randomness.

Ok, get Nyla Rose away from Vickie and Shafir (I had hopes from watching her in Bloodsport, but really now, she needs a trip in Japan or something) and we get something. That one segment was bad. 

But this was the AEW I love, with the very old-school WCW chaotic feel to it, again, in a good way.

2 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

I was watching NBA last night and just kind of following along to the recaps and was like “what a weird fucking company.”

Like, nothing I read in the recap from Canada would suggest that in a fortnight, you’d end up at last nights show. It’s a truly bizarre promotion but still feels pretty exciting, I suppose.

13 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

All TK has to do is book Shibata vs Bryan Danielson. I don't give a fuck about when or where.

Well, apparently Shibata wants the same thing.

Danielson vs Shibata reads like a dream match, but there's no way Shibata can work like he used to. Danielson is that great that he can make it safe for Shibata I guess. Hey, if we're getting it, they should get KENTA at ringside. They both come from his mold (well, there is also that other guy but he probably won't be around anymore).

11 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The open felt like Russo's first Nitro and I guffawed out loud when Cabana's music hit. Jesus Christ. 

Cabana as Jericho's mystery opponent & Jeff Jarrett of all people showing up & people on social media are celebrating lol.

Started watching this live in the Uk but turned it off and went to bed when JJ turned up. Mess of an angle and no interest in watching anything he's involved in. But if you must do this, why not have JJ in the sting mask for the big reveal, don't over complicate things. 

In a side note Darby came very close to yet again to killing himself, this time on a backdrop during the break, almost came down straight on his head.

I did go back and finish watching the rest of the show today, but nothing worth going out your way to see. Although I did notice Rey Fenix having flashbacks to his elbow popping as he totally sandbagged that chokeslam though the table.   

I didn't watch this episode, but let's go over what happened and why anyone would want to watch.

1. Darby Allin, supposedly one of the pillars of the company, was beaten by Jay Lethal with an assist from some guy in a Sting mask. Jeff Jarrett shows up and hits Darby with a guitar and drops some good old slapnuts. Jeff Jarrett is All Elite. 

2. Jon Moxley beats a jobber to kill time before facing MJF at the PPV. Ethan Page is the next jobber in line to kill time. 

3. Saraya supposedly still needs to check with some doctor. Is she really cleared to wrestle? Guess they are drawing this out until the PPV too. I don't have high hopes.

4. Billy Gunn and the Acclaimed are a bright spot, although no one really seems to be all that concerned with what Strickland did to Gunn's hand. Yay, more Firm. Then an Acclaimed/FTR standoff that will go nowhere because they are both faces and the Bucks don't want FTR to tie them for most AEW title reigns. 

5. Jericho vs Colt Cabana. No wonder they had to advertise it as 'former ROH champion'. I can't wait to see the ratings breakdown on this. Glad everyone in AEW behind running Punk off can get their jollies though.

6. Never ending BCC vs JAS feud. What is the point of this? Who is it getting over? What is the endgame? Garcia was in a great position until the swerve and now he's right back to being Jericho's flunky. Kind of like Sammy too unfortunately. 

7. Orange Cassidy vs Luchasaurus vs Rey Fenix sounded great and might be the one thing I will go back and actually watch this episode. 

8. We're to the point where they are feeding Jade Cargill leftovers now. I don't understand this whole stealing the belt angle. Everyone is just kind of going along with it and not doing anything with it or about it. 

9. Storm and Hayter will be a good match. Need to drop the interim thing. I like Rosa but who knows when she is coming back.

10. Your main event on AEW Rampage was for the ROH TV Title. Sigh. Joe beat Cage who is nothing but a jobber either. This was your main event. To recap, there were the same number of ROH title matches on this show than AEW title matches. Isn't that a problem?

11. Glad that Powerhouse Hobbs isn't being punished for saying good things about Punk in the past. Him vs Wardlow should be good. 

So out of all that, there's one match I'm interested in watching, and maybe one angle. I'm keeping up with this company until they officially release Punk. After that, if this is all that I'm interested in I'll just keep cherry picking the one or two things that sound good out of the mess AEW has become. But sure, blame it all on Punk. And I'll stop complaining because by then it will be too late anyway. 

1 hour ago, WingedEagle said:

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised but if Shibata was going to wrestle actual, serious matches wouldn't they be in Japan?  And if he was going to wrestle seriously in the US would it really be on a Rampage?  It doesn't make much sense to me but we'll see what happens.

It's a bit baffling but I can see as a inter-promotional deal with NJPW STRONG or whatever given he's still training people there. I'm baffled by Shibata's first big AEW match being against Cassidy of all people but if it gets his foot in the door and allows him to work a more off the cuff pace that accommodates for his natural rustiness in the ring, I'm fine with it.

I know there's been some controversy about his in-ring return (there was the whole "grappling rules" match he was supposed to have with Narita before he just instantly flipped the script and went for strikes) so idk, maybe there's something there.