Pro Wrestling Only

The "Confirmed Stories of Triple H Being A Total Douchebag" Thread

sek69

I think theres also a problem in that even if Sting worked with those guys that no one has any faith in WWE's follow through in making a star. Lets say Harper beat Sting at Wrestlemania, ala Vader/Sting at GAB'92. Alot of people would expect to see him jobbed out in the following months thus rendering the whole thing moot and another thing in the long list of WWE fuck ups and wasted opportunities,.

A bit like any current star Sgt. Slaughter put over on Raw in the past decade and then they get squashed months later.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think theres also a problem in that even if Sting worked with those guys that no one has any faith in WWE's follow through in making a star. Lets say Harper beat Sting at Wrestlemania, ala Vader/Sting at GAB'92. Alot of people would expect to see him jobbed out in the following months thus rendering the whole thing moot and another thing in the long list of WWE fuck ups and wasted opportunities,.

A bit like any current star Sgt. Slaughter put over on Raw in the past decade and then they get squashed months later.

No, not really anything like that at all.

Huh?

I could have sworn Meltzer said the NXT show in Ohio next month already sold out. I am guessing its in a small ballroom though since its in conjunction with the Arnold Classic weightlifting weekend.

It is sold out. It's supposed to be at the LC Amphitheater. It's an outdoor concert venue, with a lawn. 5,500 capacity for concert events. Usually pit seats and lawn seats, and from the ticket layout, I'd guess the ring will be where the pit seats usually are. No idea how many tickets sold, but there's room at that location to sell more. Also is being co-promoted by Arnold. Not sure if there were tickets packages including the NXT show.

Was this promoted on NXT in any way? Was there local promotion for the event?

Why are they bringing all these guys to a bodybuilding competition/convention where WWE is going to try and recruit?

It's an indoor/outdoor venue actually. They're doing it indoors. Trying to run an outdoor event the first week of March would be insanity.

A lot of sporting events latch onto the Arnold Expo weekend. WEC did it several times to great success before the UFC shut it down. It's one of the biggest events that come through the city on a yearly basis. The tickets were sold as their own deal. They went on sale at 10 and a friend of my wife could only find standing room only by about 1 the same day. I was on right at 10 to get my tickets.

I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of people traveling in for this. But Columbus has always supported wrestling. ECW, TNA and RoH have all done well here.

Thanks for the information. Guess on the amount of tickets sold?

Some very smart planning, no real way to fail on the first test. Are they promoting it on NXT?

Seems like Ohio has been very good for wrestling over the last lil bit.

I love the evil plan of hiring a bunch of acclaimed indy talent and then using that talent to hire a bunch of bodybuilding stiffs. Cerebral Assassin.

Truly! Glad I'm not the only one chuckling over that idea.

I'm sure they'll have some kind of presence all weekend and will be keeping an eye out. Arnold's going into their hall of fame this year too right? Some kind o' mutual back scratching is likely to go down that weekend.

Is Ryback sweating bullets filled with gimmick infringement fear?!!?

Thanks, missed the whole page of posts where the ticket numbers were.

I'm one of the people who's dipped back in, and this recent love for HHH has been puzzling as hell to me. I've yet to watch NXT, but on RAW, he's been the same heat leech I've always thought him to be.

There was a moment, when CM Punk was just recently starting on WWE TV. Got chants out of the blue during a segment and HHH was quick and slick to try and scoop it back for himself. Sort of a quintessential moment. Anyone remember this?

It was 8 years ago man. Modern HHH hasn't done too much to anger people. Not only did he do a clean job to Bryan at Mania in a great match, he did a run-in during the main event to get his ass kicked *again* and get the crowd back into the match for the peak run after they died following Taker's loss. Then he did totally clean jobs two months in a row to the Shield. And his association with Rollins has been a success, as he did more of the talking at first become Seth turned into the passable promo he is now. And Seth still gets "you sold out" chants 8 months later, so the angle was a success in getting Rollins heel heat. Most recently, HHH's heel work had a 2015 RAW crowd going nuts and chanting "We want Sting".

My hatred of HHH was so much back in the day that I watched very little RAW from late 2002-late 2004. But now I'm feeling like he'll be able to at least steer the ship for a while if something happens to Vince. American wrestling isn't totally screwed.

8 years ago, or 8 hours ago. Don't matter to me.

I can see why people would be less angry with him now. But as some sort of savior, I don't buy it.

The guy has been involved in WWE decision making for almost twenty years. Or he isn't 'cause Vince.

HHH gets kudos for running a developmental territory? Who has he developed? He's scooped up the more well known indie guys, some with established fan bases. The Performance Center? It strikes me more as corporate orientation, which does make sense in a way.

But where are his fresh recruits? It's mostly wrestling families and indie guys. Developing talent in house has always been a bit prickly historically in the WWE. JR helped changed that mentality when he was head of talent. But there's something still kind of built in, it's the NY territory, ya bring the best, and move onto the next. My point being, he's done about the same, maybe less, as his predecessors.

I dunno, everything makes sense. Seems smart. There's always a certain logic. But time after time things just seem to flatline around him.

Bad penny, bad bet.

I'm one of the people who's dipped back in, and this recent love for HHH has been puzzling as hell to me. I've yet to watch NXT, but on RAW, he's been the same heat leech I've always thought him to be.

There was a moment, when CM Punk was just recently starting on WWE TV. Got chants out of the blue during a segment and HHH was quick and slick to try and scoop it back for himself. Sort of a quintessential moment. Anyone remember this?

Survivor Series 2006. CM Punk teamed with DX and the Hardyz.

Why are we giving credit to Triple H for losing to Daniel Bryan and The Shield when Vince McMahon has the final say? Shouldn't Vince get all the credit for that booking decision, like he got all the blame for the booking of the Royal Rumble match?

Here, found it:

May 19, 2014 WON:

It’s been noted to us what an impossible position Paul Levesque has been put in when it comes to talent relations, because Vince McMahon is still the guy making all the final calls, and he changes his mind frequently. It’s become a big frustration of talent that they are told a certain direction by Levesque, and then Levesque is put in the position of having to get with the talent again and explain that what he told them before isn’t happening. Either he’s really good, or he’s in a bad position, because talent for the most part sees him as one of them and that he’s frustrated from above when things change.

But where are his [Triple H's] fresh recruits? It's mostly wrestling families and indie guys. Developing talent in house has always been a bit prickly historically in the WWE. JR helped changed that mentality when he was head of talent. But there's something still kind of built in, it's the NY territory, ya bring the best, and move onto the next. My point being, he's done about the same, maybe less, as his predecessors.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly.

Where were JR's fresh recruits? Most of his hires were from WCW, ECW, and smaller indies. Nothing wrong with that, of course. It was smart business. The only exceptions are The Rock (who got handed to the WWE on a silver platter because Rocky Johnson knew Pat Patterson), Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar.

Yeah, those are three pretty big exceptions, but let's examine them...

Rock: Third-generation superstar. There will always be more of those wrestlers' kids. H has already gotten Charlotte and will get others.

Angle and Lesnar: Legitimate athletes. Wrestling was red hot back then. Much easier to attract those types of talents. H's legacy in this department, I'm guessing, will probably be snagging a UFC guy or two down the road after their careers in the cage wind down.

Plus, it's kind of lopsided to compare JR and H just yet, when JR was around a lot longer in that position and we have the benefit of being able to examine his entire tenure as the head of Talent Relations in the rearview mirror.

Edit: Also, acting like H is only cherry-picking "famous" guys from major indies and overseas (Kevin Owens, Finn Balor, Hideo Itami, etc.) is ignoring most of the NXT roster. Where the hell did Tyler Breeze come from? Bayley? Bull Dempsey? Sasha Banks? etc. Who ever heard of any of these people before NXT? I'm assuming most/all of them were in smaller indies, but they didn't have any major buzz until now. H deserves credit for finding and developing those darkhorses.

JR took over talent relations from JJ Dillon in I believe 96 and was replaced by Ace in 2004

There is a long list of valuable or top talent he signed that you're not giving him credit for beyond Rock, Brock and Angle:

The Hardys & Lita

Edge & Christian

Mark Henry

Val Venis, D Lo Brown, Test, Crash Holly, Steve Blackman and lots of other memorable attitude era staples

Trish Stratus

John Cena

Randy Orton

Batista

Shelton Benjamin

Charlie Haas

Carlito

Chris Masters

Dolph Ziggler

Damien Sandow

All relatively or totally unknown guys signed by Ross and brought up through the system

He's also the one who recruited Jack Swagger, who's the last big amateur signing they've had

Survivor Series 2006. CM Punk teamed with DX and the Hardyz.

I remember that match. When it got down to 5 vs Orton & Edge, I loved it when Edge and Orton got squashed.

What was the after math of that match on Raw? I think I read somewhere about when Orton & Edge work Smackdown was the happiest time of their life because they wernt in Hunters shadow.

Is that the only two wrestlers around this time who hated working on a brand that Hunter ruled? Kurt Angle springs to mind.